Possible Kai Ken cross breeding going on?

edited October 2018 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Hello!

This is the place that popped into my mind when I came across this.

I was going through Yahoo JP looking at a news article on Ryukyu Inu and ended up coming across a dog that has been labelled as a Kai cross Ryukyu... apparently the mother was a Kai and father was Ryukyu.

I was wondering if anyone here knew of any Kai Ken cross litters being recorded in Japan or Okinawa lately? The video of this dog was posted this year in August and it’s a young dog.

It shocked me when I saw “琉球犬 x 甲斐犬” as the title.

The description of the video also says about the dog and that it’s 2 years old, male and mother was Kai and father was Ryukyu...

Asking Kai Ken people is a lot easier than asking Ryukyu Inu people. (^-^” )

Comments

• I know this post is a few months old, but I figured I'd at least give you an answer lol.

Crossbreeding of NK does happen (like all breeds). Oftentimes it's not intentional and puppies go to nonbreeding homes. I can't think of any medium NK crosses that have been intentional off the top of my head, but I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I've owned a Kishu mix from an oops litter (50% Kishu, 50% some unknown street mutt with a small muzzle and big ears). I've also seen photos of confirmed mixes of all the other NK breeds. A Kai x Ryukyu actually sounds pretty neat.
  • Our new boy Aisu is the result of a Kai Ken getting off his tether and having an unauthorized tryst with a Kishu Ken nearby in the community, way up in the mountains of Yamanashi.

The local hunters apparently don't like mutts because training a working dog is a big investment and they like to be sure of how the dog is going to act. The mother apparently shunned the pups early too. So the dog rescue network got involved and we ended up taking him home. He is cute, adores all people and dogs, but is way too smart.