3 year old Shikoku Male

I'm just going out on a limb here. Perhaps this will work out, perhaps not. I'd just like to put it out there. This Shikoku male is up for adoption. Anyone who is interested please take the time to really think about all the work it will entail to adopt an adult male Shikoku, and ship it across the ocean!

This male is owned by a good friend of mine. He's a hunter, and was originally planning to hunt and show his Shikoku, but realized that at his age it's easier to tag along with us young bucks and our dogs.

This male is a red Shikoku from very good show lines. My friend would have kept him for conformation events, but size wise he's at the bottom end of the breed standard, so didn't show that well. The dog is 3 years old, turning 4 this year I believe.

About this boy. His name is Tatsu. He's an outside dog, so I'm not sure how well he'd adjust to moving indoors. He's quite active with a high energy level, but not too loud in the kennel. He's very NK in temperament, not that interested in people other than his owner, and not super affectionate. He was fine with me touching him, and gave me a few licks but that was it. He's not aggressive with the other 2 dogs he lives with, but at the moment I have no idea how he is with strange dogs.

My friend has a large fenced property, so the dogs exercise/play in there. Tatsu goes hunting every now and again, but other than that doesn't go on walks off the property. I've never known him to be shy.

He'll live out his life at my friend's house if he doesn't find a new home, so there's no rush to place him. His present owner just feels that if there's somewhere that could give him more attention, he'd probably be happier. He doesn't get to 'work' right now (conformation or hunting), so doesn't get as much attention as he should.

Here's some pictures. He's ever so slightly overweight at the moment. He's been healthy his entire life, no medical history.

DSC_0073

DSC_0081

DSC_0091

If anyone is interested in finding out more about him, feel free to email me. My address is listed in my NKF profile.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Either me or my Dad will want him.......I'll get back to ya ASAP!
  • edited November -1
    well that was quick...:D
  • edited November -1
    Hahahaha
  • edited November -1
    Great looking shikoku It'll be nice for him to go to a home where he can get lots of attention. =)

Can't wait to hear updates on how he's doing.
  • edited November -1
    Wow Shigeru ! I bet you didn't expect that on the very first comment :) I really hope it works out !!
  • edited November -1
    OMG, if you didn't tell me, I would say that this male was a fatter version of my Kuma. The resemblance is very striking. Good luck in placing him. My Kuma is not overly kissy, but he does like new people. Hopefully Tatsu will be the same way.

Beautiful boy!
  • edited November -1
    I'm thinking a husband for Loa. ;-)
  • edited November -1
    haha... Loa would love him, but if Gen is gonna hunt him then that is the right home for him.
  • edited November -1
    He's a cutie! :)

I think he'd be perfect for Gen too. He has been saying forever now that he wants a hunting Shika!~
  • edited November -1
    Hmm... Husband for Loa AND hunting buddy for Gen????

He is a beautiful boy! I hope that Gen is able to get him and work with him. :)
  • edited November -1
    It can't be that far of a drive for Loa in heat. he he he. We really need Loa pups. Ofcourse this means nothing for me to do and all the work is on Jen and Brad.
  • edited November -1
    I made that drive earlier in my trip. I left Taos at 6:30am pacific and arrived a few miles from Gen's house at 11:45pm pacific. So, it is a LONG drive.

Whomever gets this dog, he sounds great! He'll be one handsome dude once he drops a few pounds.
  • edited November -1
    ouch Dave! That is harsh...:D
  • edited November -1
    Ok so still working on it, waiting on some replies back. If it doesn't work for me any back ups? I'm working hard so that at the lease I can try to ship it back.
  • edited November -1
    Looks like if the stars align correctly, Tetsu maybe coming state side.........to be continued.
  • edited November -1
    Nice!
  • edited November -1
    I love this forum!
  • edited November -1
    Gen, I think you having everyone holding their breath , waiting for your next update!!
  • edited November -1
    Next up date will be a bit but I will advise soon as I find out more about Tatsu and how he interact with pigs and other dogs.
  • edited November -1
    He's gorgeous! (he looks very like my enormous male Shiba, too, who is also about that much overweight...Hmmm....maybe he's not a Shiba at all...that would explain his excessive size! *lol*)

anyway, can't wait for an update on him!
  • edited November -1
    Oh wow...well hopefully Gen or someone else will take him! Good luck Mr. Tatsu!
  • edited November -1
    Bump to hear of any update???
  • edited November -1
    As of now I believe my Dad will be picking him up I think on the 15th or so. Soon as my Dad saw his picture, he was hooked and basicaly C*#K blocked me. But it will work out perfectly if he can get him.
  • edited November -1
    Awesome! congrats.
  • edited November -1
    That's great Gen! I can't wait to hear what your dad thinks.
  • edited November -1
    cool!
  • edited November -1
    Hahah @Gen being Shika blocked,
    Sorry for your loss but congratulations to your dad for getting him.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Ha! Sorry you got blocked, but glad your dad is going to get him! Of course, we must have pics anyway!
  • edited November -1
    Ehhh you need a Kai anyways. ha ha ha.

Congrats to your dad and his new pup!