Packing a sport?

edited August 2010 in General
I never really thought about packing as a sport until I started researching dog sports to see if there was one that interested me. I wouldn't consider hiking or backpacking a sport so I don't really see how putting a pack on a dog would be considered a sport. Since I've never packed with a dog yet, I figured I'll ask you guys with more experience. Would you consider packing with your dog a sport?

Comments

• edited November -1
    I look at it as more of a hobby/lifestyle. But when I think of backpacking, I think of primitive camping, carrying everything you need for a few days in your pack.
  • edited November -1
    And Adam just for clarification you do pack with your dog(s) correct?
  • edited August 2010
    I think you could call it a sport. Sports for a dog should have mental and physical stimulation/workout and backpacking does that. Here is a dictionary definition; an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. Anybody going backpacking for a few days knows it takes "physical prowess". We take Inuyasha backpacking, that is the main reason we got him, for a great hiking/backpacking partner. But you really shouldn't get caught up in the semantics, just think about what you want to do with your dog, and what you want him to get out of it.
  • edited November -1
    "But you really shouldn't get caught up in the semantics, just think about what you want to do with your dog, and what you want him to get out of it."

Lol I'm not, just curious.
  • edited November -1
    There was a weight carrying class in the UKC (I think) at one time, for breeds like malamutes and rotties... I think Ann has mentioned it in the past. So, from that standpoint I guess you could consider it a sport, in the same way weight pull is a dog sport.
  • edited November -1
    I found what Ann (ayk) wrote:

"There used to be a Working Pack Dog title available to any breed. They carried something like 1/3 of their body weight over 10 miles for several outings. (Elevation can be substituted for miles.)

Now, I only see Working Pack Dog titles for Samoyeds, Siberians, and Malamutes. "
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5539

----
  • edited November -1
    I pack my dogs on hikes, but since I'm not training them for competition I consider what I do as just a hobby. Whatever you want to call it, the dogs get a great workout! Koda's still a bit young to build up too much heavy weight mass, but packing Maymay for the past two months has made her muscles so well defined and the girl has some bootie now. She is so muscular and looks great! Plus, they both get so proud and exciting when I take their packs out. They really like it.
  • I have packed with one of my dogs, I have not been camping since we got our Shiba. We do have a pack for him and are looking forward to cooler weather.

I try to backpack as lightweight as possible and try make the load for my dogs the same. It's nice to have a little weight on them to slow them down a bit.