Weight issue...Advice needed

edited February 2011 in General
Ok so its not for me :)
I have been having a feeling for a while that Autumn is underweight...even though we feed her as much as she wants and she gets treats all the time. The other week when we took her to the vet they confirmed she was underweight :( You can see her butt bones more as she blows her coat! I feel just awful! I have been trying for a little while to put some 'meat on her bone' but nothing seems to work. We even tried wet food! I do have to admit that we were feeding her iams dog food for a while but now have her on Chicken soup (which is the brand Marsha was feeding Ziggy).
There is a ton of food out there for husky dogs but doesn't seem to be anything that I can find that would bring her up in weight. Any suggestions?
Thanks!!

Comments

• Try some grain-free or raw. I had trouble keeping weight on Tora when she was younger. Once I switched to raw her weight because stable and she stays in very good body condition.
  • I've heard that mixing cooked sweet potato in with their kibble is supposed to be a healthy way to gain weight.
  • Sweet potato has worked for me in the past, and raw or home cooked (lots of meat/organ) has worked as well.

I will add though that Baron has always been a problem for me as far as weight goes. His digestive system is not that robust, so if I try to feed him more to bulk him up, his stools get loose very quickly. He's always on the thin side, especially with the amount of exercise he gets. I'm hoping that now that the hunting season is over I can bulk him up again. Some dogs are just on the thinner side...
  • @sjp051993 hmmm grain-free. I may have to look into that. Any food suggestions?

@Calia the guy at the pet store actually suggested the sweet potato...or pupmkin. I had never heard of either until today. That might be something to look into as well.

@TheWalrus I think we have a similar problem. Autumn tends to graze. When we got Ziggy we put them both on a feeding 'schedule' since he would eat ALL of the food. She didn't seem to be eating enough so I tried to wet her food to see if she would eat more. She loved that but ended up eating too much and would either throw it up or have runny stool. I just want her to be a healthy weight so we can continue with dock jumping/running/swimming/ walking in the woods with her this summer. She is quite an active dog which is why I thought she was slim in the summer but she has not put on any weight this winter! I am at a loss...
  • Grain free? I've always given that to my dogs to lean them up because it doesn't have as much carb or fat. I give my lean dogs raw beef, bread, rice and sweat potato to get them in show shape.
  • @lindsayt I think I may try the sweet potato idea. Do you used the canned stuff or do you cook it from raw potatoes usually? I would do either. I am hoping she likes it, she is so picky! I really just want her to be a nice healthy weight at this point. This way when we do work her this summer she wont evaporate into thin air poor girl haha :)
  • @kait0585 I bake them. I haven't tried the canned before but I know other people do.
  • In the grain free they actually use more of the food. I feed Acana for dry. There are alot of them out there. I just tried different ones until I found one everyone liked. Each dog is different, so you may have to try several different things until you find one that works for your dog.
  • I have the same issue with Violet who is also a shiba and at 15.5 inches at the withers is only 17 lbs at the moment and is noticeably very slender. Her ribs aren't always visible but they are when she moves a certain way, which is still just too skinny (and even at this better weight, I too can see her butt bones as she is starting to blow). At 17 lbs the vet doesn't think that she is unhealthy, but has noted that she is definitely on the skinny side. Earlier this summer she ate something she shouldn't have had, and then had an upset stomach for about three days and dropped down to 16 lbs which did make our vet (and breeder) concerned. The issue we have with her has always been getting her to gain weight and I feed half grain free kibble (Wellness Core) and half raw. She loves raw, but my experience even with feeding all raw (as I have done in some periods) is that we have a very difficult time putting weight on her. Even for raw, when she is done eating, she is done, and unfortunately, the amount that she prefers to eat, even for her favorite things, results only in weight maintenance rather than weight gain. For a while I was supplementing her meals (after she ate) with daily doses of cheese and sometimes peanut butter, and there were also periods where she got pureed roasted pumpkin but none of those things have ever really done the trick.

I've recently started to successfully put weight on her, albeit slowly, by giving her fattier raw (more hearts and gizzards, less back and necks), crumbling a few dried sardines or anchovies (just pure dried only, no additives, no salt and no more than 3-5 in a day) into her kibble, and twice a week she gets two eggs scrambled with a bit of butter and cheddar (but only after she has finished her regular meals since this is meant to be a supplement). I try to make sure that she eats more than the daily recommended amount (about one whole cup of kibble, plus 8-10 oz raw) and I try to supplement with high fat/calorie items like cheese, and oily fish rather than normal treats (though she does also get dehydrated sweet potato).

My feeling is that you may not need to go to that extreme. For us it wasn't so much that she didn't like her food as it was that her food needed to contain a lot more calories. Either way you'll probably have to try a number of things and just be patient. Eventually you'll hit on the effective solution.

If Autumn likes fish, I found that the dried sardines and anchovies have really been helping. Violet is obsessed with fish, and I was able to make it to a Japanese grocery store (there are a few Mitsuwas scattered in the U.S.) where I was able to find dried fish with no additives. I specifically chose oily type fishes though you can probably also try other sorts. You just need to make sure that the type you get has no salt added.
  • All my dogs enjoy sweet potato, so that might be worth a try, and they are super easy--you can bake them or even microwave them.

Unfortunately, my dogs tend to have weight problems the other way, and even feeding raw doesn't help Toby lose weight....
  • Try something with more fat in the diet.

Guska can be a bit of a hard keeper compared to the other two. If I give him more food, he will often just leave it in the bowl. So to boost his calories per mouthful, I add a few tablespoons of olive oil to his meals.
  • Cod liver oil might do it, too. It kind of stinks up the food and makes the dogs finish everything in their bowls. Good luck.
    @TeamLaika--How much do your dogs weigh? Tuula is pretty small--about 40 lbs, but she's the right weight for her frame.
  • A website www.dogfoodchat.com has some comparisons/reviews. The relatively new food Orijen is highly rated. Whole Dog Journal is also a good source of nutrition info - i think you need to subscribe to the newsletter for the more in-depth articles/info. If your Vet has ruled out any parasites/physical/other health issues (thyroid? allergies? stress?) - maybe there might be an "environmental" reason? Some dogs are more sensitive than others to changes...
  • @Kevin: Triepak and Guska stay between 45 and 50 lbs. (Much to Triepak's dismay...that is one food motivated beast! Guska on the other hand, never has trouble maintaining his girlish figure!)

Tuli is quite petite (below breed standard). She looks best around 30 lbs, but would get chubby if I let her!
  • @lindsayt I would feed grain free because of its high protein content. When adding weight, you want to make sure that you're adding lean muscle rather than fat. I would stay away from grain food because they usually have potato, corn, etc.

@kait0585 There is something about when they blow coat. They look really skinny, but I also think mine lose 1-2 pds when they are blowing coat. I'm not sure if there is some sort of metabolism adjustment during this process or what.

Mei came to me at 27 pds. She is now after she blew coat 38 pds. She has lost 2 pds. in the past month. This also might be because the rain stopped us from hiking so much and her muscle is deteriorating a bit. I will start packing the dogs again this weekend to work their muscles out a bit. It's not just food, but getting them to exercise that will build lean muscle.

To get weight on Mei, I used sweet potato and pumpkin with a grain free diet. She also eats spinach, carrots, etc. for added vitamins. I swear that child would be a vegan if I let her which makes these addtitions to her food simple.

She refuses to eat on a schedule and will only graze. She just has her food measured out in the morning for the whole day.

I would watch out on giving too much olive oil. Yes, it's a healthy oil, however you need to make sure that you are not giving too much to the dog. 2 tsp. may be a serving for an adult human, but only 1/2 tsp. maybe appropriate for a puppy a day. Their poop will tell you when you've given too much.....

I had real trouble keeping weight on Koda when he was a pup too. Age has fixed this, but just in the past month have I seen him really start to fill out. Him and Tora will be 2 on April 20th. I think they just needed to age a bit before they gained weight. Koda is now 55 pds., and was 52 in September. The 3 pds. made a big difference in his build. He still is in really good shape with a high arch between his stomach and chest.

If Autumn is not showing signs of malnutrition, then just do your best to feed her a healthy diet. She will fill out in time.
  • Wow guys. Thanks for all of the great info!!

I have tried feeding Autumn more but she is such a light eater no matter what i do. She is down to 11.5 pounds (14.5 inches) *shamefully* I had no idea she was that under weight. She has always been on the smaller side. She also has a longer coat then most shibas so it does not show as badly...except when she blows her coat or is wet. Before I had asked this question or even knew she was underweight I was trying to add fat to her diet with canned food...or wetting her food to have her eat more but that just upset her stomach which did not help anything.

I think I am going to try the sweet potatoes next time I go shopping. Seems like a lot of people have had success with that. I want to try to get her up to a healthier weight by summer so I will be able to take her out swimming and running without having to worry about her so much :(

@tjbart17 I really do hope it is an age related thing. She is going to be 2 in June so hopefully she will continue to fill out. I am just concerned about her being so underweight.
  • @kait0585 Does she show signs of malnutrition? Fatigue, showing signs of dizziness (usually can be seen when the dog is getting up, they will become unsteady), poor coat condition, any immune deficiencies?

Start with the sweet potato. Sardines may help as well.
  • @tjbart17 no she doesn't show signs of any of that. The vet tested her for warms and such...she is clean for that which is good. I really had no idea how light she was honestly before the vet. We didn't really weigh her. She is a very active dog so I thought she was slim due to all the activity from the summer...but it worries me that she didn't put any of it back on this winter. That's why I am on here seeing if anyone has similar issues or ideas :)
  • @kait0585 Did they check her thyroid?

Honestly, she just might be a skinny girl. I was only 87 pds. in my early 20's. My 30's have changed that. ;-P
  • @tjbart17 No they didn't check her thyroid. That is a good thought...
    Haha! Yea I am hoping she is just petite. I mean she is perfectly fine in all other ways except she looks thin when she blows her coat and is wet. I am really hoping the sweet potato thing works. If not I may take her to the vet just to have them check her to make sure nothing else is wrong (besides warms/parasites and such since she was tested for that). If she comes back clean I am not going to worry unless she starts acting 'strange' :)
  • @tjbart17

I think it really depends on what kind of weight you want to add and the health of the dog. I want to add fat to my skinny boys, who are all lean muscle already, which isn't great for showing or coat (unless it is greyhounds, dobermans, staffies, etc who need to have the defined muscles). I want to avoid high protein KIBBLE, but not raw meat, as my experience with my breeds has indicated to me that high protein kibbles are not appropriate for all life stages or for all dogs.

@kait0585 At that height and weight, I would say that is a severely underweight Shiba and to check her out at the vet and do some bloodwork before making diet changes, whatever it is you decide to change. Good luck with her. Some shibas just have really lite builds and no appetites and don't gain weight but are otherwise healthy.
  • @lindsayt I probably will have her checked out when i take her to the vet. We just moved so have a new vet :) the odd thing about this whole weight issue is that our last vet even after weighing her never mentioned she was under weight until I said something. She was like "yea I guess she is kind of thin". I am going to see what the new vet has to say when I take her in. It was just odd to me that I noticed before the vet did. Maybe they just do not have enough exposure to the breed?
  • Has she ever been an appropriate weight? Try something with high fat. A food made for highly active or show/performance dogs. And I agree you might want to think about having her thyroid tested. Is she really active?(more than a normal Shiba :) I beleive Hyperactivity is a sign of a hyper thyroid...

These will put weight on a dog... Stoney has always been a picky eater barely eating anything and has always been on the thin side, so I tried this and it worked.... he looked better than he ever did when I was using it. And he started eating his regular food better.There are several recipes. This is the one I used. Feed it raw and just make it into a ball and throw it on top, dont try to mix it in, they will dump all their food to get to it. I was actually just getting ready to make some of this up, the winter is taking its toll on everyone : (
    oh and use the cheapest fattiest hamburger you can find...
    http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition/Satinballs/satinballs.html (more recipes and info here)

Satin Balls
    10# hamburger meat
    1 jar wheat germ
    1 lg box of oatmeal (uncooked)
    1 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
    10 eggs
    10 sm pkgs unflavored gelatin
    1 1/4 Cup unflavored molasses
    A pinch of salt
    1 lg box Total cereal (2lb's)
    (You may also add a pinch of garlic powder to add flavor)

Mix all ingredients together well, much like a meatloaf....put into separate freezer bags and freeze, thawing out as needed. It puts weight on in a very short time, not to mention the gloss in their coat. You can use it every day when they have a show to do and it does not produce diarrhea. It can be fed alone or with kibble.

• @kaikenone Thanks! Autumn has always been on the thinner side. She is a very active shiba. But thats mostly because we have an active lifestyle. She goes hiking, swimming, dock diving, and other activities in the summer. Currently in the winter we are just walking with her and Ziggy so not as much activity. It does seem like she is putting on a little weight since changing her food from Iams and adding some sweet potato to her diet this last week. In the past the only time she looked really skinny was after coming out of the water or while she was blowing her coat. She has a medium length coat so its not as noticeable. The vet also didn't seem concerned but again it may be because she doesn't have much experience with the breed.
    So for the above recipe I do not bake it correct? Also about how much do you give them at a feeding?
    Thanks!!
  • edited March 2011
    Violet is at the tall end of the standard at 15.5 at the withers and when she got sick, at 16 lbs she looked unhealthy (she looked downright bony) and my vet flagged it. Not to be mean, but I am a little concerned if your dog really is that light at that height at the withers and your vet didn't flag it. I think her being underweight would be pretty obvious regardless of familiarity with the breed.

Satin balls are fed raw. We've fed them to Violet though with less success (she likes them but still didn't put on much weight). Lindsay is right, there are some dogs that are just light in build (the other day my father mentioned how lovely he thought the pup was because she is "built like a greyhound").

Do you mind if I ask what vet you used in Cleveland?
  • Well she doesn't sound like she is bouncing of the walls, just a normal active, which is good... it is so awesome she does dock jumping.. can't wait to see how Ziggy likes it??

• @violet_in_seville The weight it what she was at the vet a few weeks ago when we took her. I was shocked actually since she doesnt look like she would weight that little. I need to recheck her height though...that is an estimate from a while back. I should really get an accurate measurement of her so I can be more precise :) She does look like the new food and sweet potatoes are helping a bit. I am hoping the new vet we are going to be taking her too will be a bit better.

@kaikenone we are going to take them both this summer and see if Autumn can teach ziggy how to do it...and maybe work on her form a bit. I have yet to have her do a smooth run and jump consistently without hesitation. :) I need to remember my camera for evidence haha
  • Ok so a small update as far as Autumn's weight is concerned....I have been trying a few of the suggestions. We have all natural sweet potato fries that we had for a while. Wanted to see if she would even like sweet potato so when we cooked some up for dinner earlier this week we gave her some of them. She LOVED them!! I cant even tell you how much she likes it hahaha. Its really cute. She will even do tricks to get more :) So I think the sweet potato thing is a go. I have also been cooking a little extra for her with dinner...as in making some extra rice and burger to give her when I make it for dinner. I think she things she has died and gone to heaven she is eating so good!! Now this is after she has already eaten her regular food, so its an extra. I just weighed her tonight after going out and she is up 0.5 pounds! She is also looking like she is filling out a bit in the butt area (mind you, it has only been a week we have been trying this so hopefully this keeps up!!) I am soooo excited. Thanks for all the suggestions. We are going to continue trying a few others until she reaches at least the minimum for the standard or she fills out a bit more and go from there. I am still doing walks with her a few times a week and letting her run wild in the back yard because I want her to put on muscle mass and not just fat.
    Thanks everyone!!!!
  • We were feeding Nikka, Taste of the Wild salmon kibbles. She blew up !! 2 cups a day for one month. We noticed it was very high in calories. She is 2 yr. Glad your pup is putting on the lbs.
  • @andyandteresa I actually just picked up a small bag of that to see if she liked it. She seems to like it ok. a figure if she is not going to eat a lot at a time might as well pack in the calories...on the plus side I have been feeding her Chicken soup for dogs and her coat looks awesome :) Guess it is better to feed the higher quality food. Its a learning curve.