A few concerns...is this normal?

Orion turned 5 months yesterday...he is growing like a weed. I am a little concerned about him though...the last couple of weeks he hasn't been very active...he doesn't play as much as he used too. He is spending a lot of time on the sofa sleeping...he had always been full of energy and sometimes he will get that burst of energy later in the evening. Other than that he seems to be doing fine...he has a good appitite and drinks plenty of water. Is he just going through a stage? I'm wondering if I need to take him to the vet to get him checked. I also wanted to let you all know that I used Promeris for flea control on him and my girlfriends 12 week old yorkie...it seems they both had a reaction to it...a few minutes after putting it on Barkley...my g/f's yorkie..;he started rolling around all over the place like he was trying to rub it off...we thought it may be burning him...but his skin had no redness or anything. He setteled down a little while later...Orion was very lethargic the next day and threw up once...he was lethargic for most of the day and when Barkley would try to play with him he would bite at him...I put Orion in his cage and he slept most of the day...Barkley was somewhat lethargic too and sleept most of the day too...later on they both seemed fine. I will not be using this product again.

I forgot to add that he does lay around chewing his bones or whatever and he does want to be petted more than he used too...he will spend more time next to me or on my lap than before. Whe we go on walks he seems to have enough energy. I think he's ok...I'm sure it is what you are saying...the growing is a little tireing on him...I do keep a close eye on him though.

Comments

• RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    I think it was around 5 months that I noticed Ryu was starting to calm down.... either that, or we just got used to his activity level. He definitely started to cuddle a lot more and we caught him napping more often. I think it just takes alot of energy for them to grow and wears them out a bit. :)
  • edited November -1

A lot of dogs don't like their flea and tick med.  My Aunt's Shiba used to hide under the barstools for like three days after getting his frontline.  You might want to try a different product to see if your dogs react better.

Orion might be sleeping because he is indeed doing so much growing.  Growing that much is very tiring.  If you are truly worried, take him to the vet for an exam.  $50 is worth the peace of mind you will receive from the vet when they tell you that everything is just fine.

• edited November -1

My shibas have no issues with frontline, I use it twice a year
    because we are around so many dogs in the spring and fall.. no
    reactions at all.

Once Tsuki hit the 7 month period she slowed
    down a bit until we adopted Kitsune who matched her energy level and
    she picked right up again 

• edited November -1
    You only use frontline twice a year?  Do you not have many fleas and ticks in Scranton?
  • edited November -1
    I have not researched the flea and tick count in Scranton but we do not
    over medicate the dogs if we do not have a flea occurance, so I choose
    to only do it twice a year precautionary.
  • edited November -1
    You realize that frontline is only good for about a month right? If you are only using it twice a year you may as well not even use it. In some places the climate dictates that it isn't necessary year round, but even then a monthly application during the peak season is important.
  • edited November -1
    I don't worry about the fleas as much as the ticks.  I guess I'd rather put frontline on than deal with Nemo possibly getting Lyme disease.  I do not put it on him in the cold months, he gets seven doses per year.
  • edited April 2008

our peaks are april/may and august/september, we use it then because
    no living thing can survive the early spring or winters in PA - they
    are chilly! and for those times, we use a chamomile/garlic/rosemary
    mixture between baths and we have not had a flea problem yet!

and i'm not a neglectful dog mom, we do heartworm meds monthly just in case.

and ticks we check for but really don't have a thicket area where many ticks or deer carrying ticks are indicated to be. 

• edited April 2008

After finding a tick on Moto in January (and I live in New England) I use a preventative 12 months of the year. My vet explained to me that the only time you are not at risk is when the ground is frozen solid.

When I was in PA in November we found 4 ticks on Moto and 2 in Piglet. 

• edited November -1
    where did you go in PA to get those kind of ticks??
  • edited November -1
    I was in Glenside, about 116 miles from Scranton.
  • edited April 2008

thats interesting, where i live is much more rural than near philly and
    i have never found a tick on any dog i've ever owned! yikes!!

sorry Kelly - we've seemed to have hijacked your thread! Do you use your flea treatment monthly?  

• edited April 2008
    It's $100/month to medicate everyone in the house with Revolution. No one goes outside so we only do it when we have a visible problem. Gets rid of severe ear mites in 48 hours, worms in less than a month, fleas die on the spot. Good stuff. And the fact that it's safe for the rabbits and rats as well as the cats is a bonus.
  • edited November -1

Tsukitsune...this is the first time I've used any flea control on Orion. I think I'll give Frontline a try next month and see how he reacts to it.

• edited April 2008

I would definitely try it - its been on the market for some time, a good product that I have had no reaction to at all! I have all of my fosters on it for the last 5 years. Cats, too.

Make sure you are getting an appropriate dose for their weight - that might be an issue!

• edited April 2008

"thats interesting, where i live is much more rural than near philly and
    i have never found a tick on any dog i've ever owned! yikes!!"

Funny, I live in the Philly suburbs, and we have ticks year round almost. I think the only time we don't have them is around December-February, but even then -- this past winter was incredibly warm. So, they kept lingering around anyways. One landed on me the other day when it was a little chilly out. I'm glad Toby has his frontline on, though. I don't want him getting anything! :(

• edited April 2008
    honestly, when i lived in the poconos, they would be everywhere.. but they even have a 'tick watch' on our local news for then they, wood moth larvae and mosquitos are most prevalent. I have yet to find a tick on any dog i've owned and i've always been in North East PA. I'm certainly not saying it couldn't or doesn't happen, but I don't feel, for my situation, that frontline is necessary all year round.
  • edited November -1
    I just pulled a tick off me AND a tick off Piglet.
  • edited November -1

Ewww >.<

I'll start putting Revolution on the back of my neck lol.

• edited November -1
    Don't think that thought didn't cross my mind.
This discussion has been closed.