Akita attack in the news (Canada)

http://saskatoon.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120404/sas-dogfolo-120404/20120404/?hub=Saskatoon

This is really sad because it's the 2nd Akita attack in Western Canada in a year.
I couldn't determine whether this was a JA or AA - but considering the description of the dog looking like a Husky, might it be a JA? I didn't know JA's to be so aggressive.

Comments

• The story may be a bit more detailed now that it was when you posted it, because it's clear that it is a JA (Akita Inu) and the pics--are they pics of the dog Hatchi? I think so--show a JA.

It's sad, but this isn't an attack. This is two dogs fighting that got out of hand, and it sounds from the news story, that the person who is calling to have the Akita put down was not even clear with the owners of the Akita about what had happened. We don't know a whole lot in this story: were the shelties on leash or off? What happened? It sounds like the person walking the Akita got injured somehow--probably trying to separate the dogs.

What it sounds like to me is this is a squabble between dogs that went bad, as we know they can, and the owner of the Sheltie wants the Akita put down, which, frankly, does not seem reasonable to me.
  • edited April 2012
    @shibamistress those are common JA photos found on the interwebs using a google image search. It doesn't mean the news company knew what they were doing when they used them or even used the right term (Akita Inu). After all, we all know of some American Akita owners who refer to their own dogs as Japanese Akitas or Akita Inus, so the owner could have even told the news the incorrect term... Without photos of the actual dog, who knows?

I wouldn't judge the breed based on the temperament. JA and AA temperaments are more similar than different. More variation exists between individual dogs and their training/upbringing.
  • Sad that the other dog died. I concur with Shibamistress, I don't think it was an attack but a fight that got out of hand. The media love to have an amped up title to sell the story.....
  • @poeticdragon--yeah, one clearly looked like a stock photo, but I wasn't sure of the one they actually showed in the news story, and I wasn't sure if the owner had actually said the dog was a JA or not. It doesn't matter really--the issue is still the same--but yes, we all know how often people can't tell the difference. And of course in this case the owner of the sheltie didn't even know it was an Akita.
  • What a sad event but like all the comments above, i would be sad to see the akita put down. Maybe the sheltie and owner provoked the akita..who knows but from my experience with all the well socialized akitas in my life i have never seen and met i dont think an akita just attack with out reason.
  • agreed. Akitas don't attack without reason. And I don't even think "attack" would be the right word....perhaps altercation.
  • You're right guys, I shouldn't have used the word "attack" when it's not clear what happened.
    I'm sure those are stock pictures as I have seen them before when I "google imaged" Akita Inu. Definately stock photos.

@poeticdragon - good point, upbringing/training is a better indicator of aggression than breed. I read the owner's letter and he "sounds" like a responsible dude (I don't think he was there when it happened).

Sad story for everyone :( I hope the Akitas don't get put down.
  • @MapleTwinkie No aplogies neccessary, the title of the article was [Owner of "attack dog" Sharing His Side of the Story], that's what I was referring to. Yeah, I read the letter too, the letter was very well written.
  • @mapletwinkle oh, i was referring to the title of the article as well, not your usage :P
    Should have been more clear!
  • Anyway to find out what happened from the dog walker or the old lady? I mean this story is super vague. Dogs generally don't decide to maul another one for no reason. Too many questions.
  • The news blows everything out of proportion. Our Yuki is pretty aloof and wouldn't even go smell other dogs but once provoked she is alert and waiting. A year ago we were on our daily walk with my 3 yrs old son on my shoulder. This French bulldog came charging out a bike shop growling and snarling. If I had not held and stepped on to leash, the ending wouldn't be a pretty sight. The owner of the fenchy came running out and not even a apology ask if if I fight my Akita. I was furious but with my son on my shoulders I calmly reminded him that he needs a leash on his dog and went on our merry walk. I guess people assume Akita are fighting breeds.
  • Very sad story, but yes--it would be even sadder if the Akita ends up getting put down.

I also don't really trust shelties not to start things with dogs bigger than them--I've seen them do it sometimes. Often it's an attempt at herding behavior--but other dogs don't often take kindly to being herded... Now, granted, most of my sheltie experience was with a poorly socialized mix that was just mostly sheltie, but... without further information, I wonder if something like that might have happened?

Also, if both Akita and Sheltie were on leashes (which isn't clear from the story), why did they end up within fighting distance anyway? Like other people said, so many questions.