When are puppies the most hyper

edited December 2012 in Behavior & Training
As stated in the title: when are puppies the most hyper? My puppy is about 5 months and is currently losing his deciduous teeth. I thought he would be mouthy and gnaw on everything but that has yet to happen. He is still sleeping a lot too!

Is he just a low energy pup or is this the calm before the storm?

Comments

• Hi Joe,
    We have a JA puppy the same age as yours. We go to puppy social on the weekends and from what we can tell, the hyper-phase is somewhat breed dependent. Shiba puppies at 14 weeks were more active and coordinated than our JA puppy at 20 weeks. The retriever and herding breeds at the same age are also more playful than our JA. She mostly likes to gnaw on other puppies and wrestle play. She has learned self-regulate and take a timeout during playgroup if others are mostly running around chasing each other.

We bought a couple of big bottles of Bitter Apple when she came home but hadn't need it -- we were able to redirect her to chew on toys and chew treats whenever she gnaws on something. She goes to daycare 3 days a week (due to separation anxiety), but when she's home, she sleeps a lot. Hubby jokes she's growing like bamboo!

• When Toki (JA), was that age, he was pretty mellow as far as puppies go. He would tire before all the other puppies and loved sleeping. He was pretty easy going and, for the most part, chewed on appropriate chew toys. Like @rikumom, I also bought a lot of bitter apple, but I didn't use much, and Toki's play style sounds similar to Meichan's: lots of wrestling. Though lately he loves chasing.

(though now that we go on runs and he is on a much better diet, he has a lot more stamina when playing with dogs, but still loves to sleep)

My guess would be that your puppy is a low energy pup :)
  • It's so hard to tell! My Akita (American) was never very high energy, and still isn't. He played more as a young puppy, but has always been pretty mellow.

My Kai Ken puppy was sweet and silly, but didn't seem like a typically high energy puppy (in comparison, say, to my shibas!) Then he hit 7 months and suddenly.....WOW! Still sweet and silly but now super high energy and into everything! It's like he held it all back!

• Haha! My shikoku is 16 weeks, Yoshi, likes to chew on everything! He literally walks around the house with his mouth open waiting for something to land in it!
    He is very high energy, especially right after his walks. We go on walks at lunch and long (about an hour) walks at night, and I still have to throw toys up our steps and play(run) with him to get him tired out.
  • Kilbun now approaching 4 months is to that bad yet. His mom was crazy even up until the point when she was rehomed at 14 months?
  • I got my JA pup Happy home when she was 8 weeks old, she just turned 4 months a few days ago. She's hyper and loves to play all the time, pretty much...