Are there any JA puppies forsale?

2»

Comments

• If only you knew. But we have established that you dont know anything. You have not said anything of value yet.
  • then why ya still here.
  • 1) You can't guarantee show quality. The best a breeder may ethically offer is "show potential" if the parents were particularly nice and did well in the show rings or conformed well for breed type. Then they often have a very specific detailed contract that specifies your obligations for showing, and sometimes include a replacement clause if the puppy is not show able as an adult. Many times it will just be your tough luck if the puppy doesn't physically turn out and you may be totally out of pocket then. It all boils down to what you agree on in the contract. If you are buying a pet only, that's what you're going to get and the expectation should be that you will get a pet only for the life of the dog. The breeder has no obligation to specifically provide you an animal to show when you are specifically seeking "just a pet". You are expected to keep the dog as a pet regardless of conformation flaws. Not wanting it down the road because it has a conformation flaw when you didn't buy it to show...that is a chief form of douchery that typically sends breeders in the opposite direction with their puppies.

2) Tain has helped me with whelping and puppy socialization for my Shiba litters.

3) Tain has been involved in my puppy sales contract planning process and in my selection process for showing, as well as involvement in purebred sports trials.

4) Tain has helped me with a Kai breeding that occured on my property, as well as Kai rescue and training.

So suck it.
  • edited April 2015
    Is there a, way to block people who only instagate but dont really contribute?

also. Now I am wondering to hear from other people besides omgtain who is clearly just here to cause problems.

What is the age of a puppy that is to old to home?

lindsayt at least your capable of being fairly polite.
    And you brought some knowledge to the conversation.

That's what I am trying to talk about is the contract that you get a guarantee that if the dog dont grow to show quality you get another one. That's the kind I want.

What age does a breeder hafta give away their puppies cuz they got to old and rehoming them from their breeder would be mentally damaging?

Again. Though so people dont forget to answer. What is the ethical age that a puppy cant be rehomed?

What age do they bond to their home so much that rehoming will cause mental issues?

Dont think I can ask anymore clearly. (Sarcasm)

• I just told you, you can't guarantee show quality.

Buying a show potential puppy is a partnership process with the breeder, as they often don't turn out, and there is the potential for breedings to occur down the road. Why would they risk selling something very nice, intact, from their special breeding, to a novice to breed and show without the novice demonstrating they are committed and dedicated to the pets already in their care?

And as I wrote above, Tain has been very involved with mine and other Shiba breeders planning processes, as well as with Kai Ken. I wouldn't be so dismissive.
  • edited April 2015
    So I'm an Akiho breeder. Not only am I breeder but I'm a boardmember for our Akiho branch here in the United States.

When we discussed markings in an earlier post, I took it as you were educating yourself about the breed. Learning about the breed is something all owners should do. I walked away from the post thinking to myself that you were disappointed with the markings on your JA but you loved the pup. After all there was a connection to Ares and that's why this pup came home. But I never thought you would give him up.

I think the problem I'm having with this is the concept of re-homing a perfectly good pet JA. Thinking back to when I got Kaede and how lucky I was to get her. Fast forward to this last litter and watching one of the pups not make it and it reminded just how lucky I have been.

Finding a good home is easier said then done. I should know since I have a 19 week old brindle girl at my feet right now. Her owner did everything right but had to give her back due to a health problem the owner had. She came home at 16 weeks old and has been here since.

The other issue - a lot of the Akiho members are on this forum. People think that Akiho is just a registration body. In the past we've have had members and breeders who have thought that. The key word here is "had" as Akiho is a preservation society first. Our mission and the mission of our sister club JACA is to preserve the breed. That is accomplished through breeding and rescuing.

You have a healthy pup who is miss-marked. That's hardly a reason to give him up.

• " show quality pups are usually reserved for very dedicated owners and people who understand that EVERY DOG HAS A FLAW, even show quality ones! if he develops out of proportion ears or his tail is too loose, will you do the same thing as you're doing now, despite even stating that the dog is a good fit?"

"Show quality is NOT guaranteed. Trust me. If it were, breeders would not keep puppies until they're 1 year old and then place them in pet homes!"

i contributed some. you're just a salty calm. everything i have said is valid. your behavior is worrisome.

IDEK why you're so hung up on it being show quality. really if you owned the dog for years and all of a sudden it develops a flaw you want to return it and be guaranteed a puppy?

you also realize you don't get to choose the puppy right?
    the breeder will keep the best for themselves and their friends (wink wink Ike puppy plsu lindsay <3 )
  • But her rudeness and failure to put any knowledge into the conversation makes it hard to talk to her. I understand that I should have put more thought into my purchase. But I would never do anything to affect Mars' life in a detrimental way. If he gets to old to rehome I will keep him. I am not the type of person that would ruin a dogs chances at a good home then put him in a shelter. I am not the type of person that would abandon my dogs.
    she is making me out a monster. Yes I bought pet quality I expected pet quality. There is nothing wrong with Mars he is, a great puppy. I am just exploring the idea of an AKIHO puppy.

So on to your knowledge of show contracts plz. So I met a guy who had a boxer on show contract. The papers and all the breeder owned. The dog lived with him. The breeder did the shows. They have this contract.

But I have heard of a contract that like you said if the dog is not show quality after a year they promise to replace it. What all is involved with that contract?

I have found breeders that will give unrestricted papers on show quality award winning sir and dam for $5000. The only thing keeping me from doing it is that I would hafta fly out of country to make sure its not a scam, and contracts can't be held up from different country's. That's what a breeder from England said.
  • Wow, the language in this thread.. it was painful to read.

Regardless of your feelings on the matter, please respond respectfully. This is a public forum. And we are all adults, yes?

To OP, I am not a breeder, but I agree that your reason for wanting to give up this pup is superficial and will turn reputable breeders away from you. It's a two way street, they have to choose you as well, it's not just about money. The future of one of their puppies is at stake, so a fickle potential owner will be passed over.
  • There's nothing wrong with wanting a show quality puppy (as i'm sure most people on this forum can agree). But it is my very strong opinion that you are doing your puppy such a severe disservice taking him home, promising to have him forever (whether or not contracts were involved) then changing your opinion about how much you want him. There are many reasons why I can see why someone would need to rehome a dog (of any age), but you don't need to.

A reputable breeder will usually ask in their puppy questionnaire "Have you ever surrendered an animal?", and answering yes (as you would do if you were being truthful) is quite the red flag. A kind person would ask to hear your side of the story, but to be completely honest I don't know what kind of breeder would be okay with you rehoming a puppy you picked because you changed your mind about liking it's coloration.

To answer your question, technically you can rehome a puppy at any age (obviously rescues do this with dogs of all ages), but that does not mean that you aren't placing undue stress and trauma on him. Usually rehoming young puppies is best for the pup (which is why breeders don't wait until 4-5 months to place). Puppies can develop fear, aggression, or anxiety as adults from traumatic events in puppyhood because 0-8 months old is the most important time in a pup's life and when the most imprinting is done on them, hence why young socialization is important (yes, rehoming can be traumatic no matter how great the next family is). I really hope that he does not develop any of those, because he has done absolutely nothing to deserve it.
  • Why is everyone so upset this puppy is far from to old to rehome?

Jack you walked away from that post with the right impression. That's how I felt at the time. But I been thinking over the last few weeks that I still have time to rehome him and get an AKIHO puppy.

I been thinking. I am getting attached to this puppy and if I am gonna make a change I better do it soon. Cuz the last thing I want is to affect this puppies development.

Yes I admit I care about the looks. But so does every breeder out there. I admit I should of waited and bought one that I thought might turn out well.

But what I dont understand is the hatred I have received just because I am exploring the option of finding this puppy a good home and looking for a better puppy.

What I don't understand is that I know if I find a better puppy the one I got will not be mentally affected by the home change. So I dont understand why all this hatred I am getting. This decision at this point will not negatively affect the puppy.
  • You're..
    ugh.

You disregarded Sean's post when he put his heart out there.

All you care about is yourself.

Wanna know what breeders care about more than looks? Temperament. Health. Longevity. Owners who are going to love their puppies despite flaws. Breeders breed to better the dogs, because every dog has flaws, and so they breed them with one who has stronger qualities in hopes that genetics will play to their side. It is a gamble. These people do this for much longer than 15 years of their life. Do you not understand this?
  • What I don't understand is that I know if I find a better puppy the one I got will not be mentally affected by the home change. So I dont understand why all this hatred I am getting. This decision at this point will not negatively affect the puppy.
    How did you come to this conclusion?

I really think the best thing for you to do is re-read your introduction post for Mars, remember why you wanted him and were so excited about him in the first place and go snuggle him. You are the lucky one for having him in your life, not the other way around.
  • Op. I will understand if u r breeder and placing pet quality pup to better pet home. Or retired dog to better home. After reading ur thread. I dont think any of akiho breeder will sell u pup including my self.
  • Something to also put into consideration is that most responsible breeders don't sell show quality/prospect pups, especially to people they aren't personally close to. If you are looking to get a show quality/prospect pup from good lines and a responsible breeder, then the first thing you need to know is that it's not about the money.

Most responsible breeders will want to make sure that products of their hard work isn't ruined or wasted, so will be incredibly particular about the homes they place show pups in. They have put a lot of work and money to develop their lines, so they may not want any Tom, Dick, and Harry getting a pup and potentially doing something negative with their lines.

Many will also require co-ownership of show pups, meaning they have equal or full rights to how that pup is bred. So even if you do get a show pup, you may not have full rights to how he/she is bred.

You may want to put more research into what it means and takes to get a show pup, it seems that you are misinformed in what that entails and if it's really worth the headache.
  • I have never been good at conveying my thoughts to text. I wouldnt dare put my true deep feelings on the thread. Put myself out there to get attacked. I will talk to jack privately. This has turned into a shark pit. Nothing I say here now will change that. I have admitted I made some bad decisions in my grief. I only reached out here to try and fix things before it was to late.
  • edited April 2015
    Why is everyone so upset this puppy is far from to old to rehome?

But I been thinking over the last few weeks that I still have time to rehome him and get an AKIHO puppy.
    This right here is why you are finding that people are responding negatively to you.

I'm pretty sure 0% of Nihon Ken breeders guarantee show quality on any dog, and will just "trade out". Like @lindsayt said, they can guarantee potential, but that's about it unless some special case, huge dollar amount contract is made up. It's hard enough to line up the right home with a returned puppy for valid health related reason, much less a "just because" reason or some contract where there's the potential for several dogs in a row to be returned. The second placement is MUCH harder than the first, because every possible thing is done to make sure that pup doesn't get returned and put in a THIRD home.

We guarantee health, and as a breeder I would never agree to something like that. Pups aren't steaks to return to the kitchen if it's a little too overdone, or cars to trade in at will where their kennel owner can just send out the pup right away to a new home.
    You're failing to see where puppies are like children, you don't return a kid to the hospital because it's blonde instead of brunette.

If you have a kid (in this case, purchase a puppy) then you are taking responsibility and ownership for it's wellbeing. Here you are treating the puppy like an accessory or livestock, and that's not ok. That's where people have a problem. This community has the expectation for owners to treat their pups as companions and to empathize with them. When viewing them from the perspective of livestock, as you are, then that's not ok for these dogs. Especially ones that are essentially being preserved and bred for improvement, where every individual absolutely is important to the community.

To boil it down, YOU SHOULD NOT BE REHOMING A PERFECTLY HEALTHY PUPPY BECAUSE ITS NOT PRETTY ENOUGH
    Sorry if that's not the answer that you were looking for, but it is what it is. If that's not something that you can endorse, then you are simply looking at the wrong breed to own & community to be a part of. If you made a poor decision in your mind then it's better to give up the pup and place it in a home who wants it, but I wouldn't expect much sympathy from Akiho breeders when it comes to a replacement.

Also, you completely disregarded the important parts of @*Jack Burton*'s post
  • . But I been thinking over the last few weeks that I still have time to rehome him and get an AKIHO puppy.
    You might be able to rehome the puppy, but...

1.Based on the attitude that you are entitled to change your mind and rehome a puppy without consulting your breeder, I wonder what kind of breeder, other than puppy mills or BYB who are quick to make a buck, would be willing to engage you

2. an AKIHO puppy can still come w/ faults. Most faults can be identified up front: spotted tongue, long coat, pinto markings, etc. One of the winning show male in AKIHO LA branch had a spotted tongue. Some faults are age dependent, such as Missing teeth, over or under shot bite, short flat coat, etc. Let's say you do find an AKIHO breeder in Japan who isn't aware of this tread on Nihon Ken Forum and he export you a puppy. What would you do if the puppy came home and developed an overbite at 16 weeks?

Just my 2 cents.
  • edited April 2015
    If I pay $5000 for a JA puppy. What should I expect to get? If I pay $10000 what should I expect to get? You all are still talking pet quality. I am talking serious show quality. You all are still talking about $1500 to $2000 puppies. I am talking about buying a show quality. I am talking about paying enough money that the breeder better be confident that they have a good line to sell it to me for that price kinda puppy. How much for a male and a female with unrestricted papers? I know there is an answer cuz I am talking to ppl who are in ownership of such things.

Really no disrespect intended. How much do I need?
    Will I hafta buy full grown dogs with champion records?
    What will it take to get a, show quality puppy?
    seriously how much?
  • If I pay $5000 for a JA puppy. What should I expect to get? If I pay $10000 what should I expect to get? You all are still talking pet quality. I am talking serious show quality.
    Price does not dictate quality, a breeder who just gives a person a supposed show quality pup for $10,000 is not very responsible. No amount of money can make up for building a relationship with a person and gaining the breeder's trust. A responsible breeder needs to feel confident that the effort and money they put into their dogs is not wasted. No amount of money will guarantee to a responsible breeder that the person will be equally responsible with the puppy they receive.
  • @T_Dog I think there are a few things you're misunderstanding. First, you keep asking the question of when is too old to rehome a puppy. Dogs and puppies have been rehomed at all ages, that's not the point.

Breeders rehome retired breeding dogs, or younger adults that don't work out, because breeders have limited space and wouldn't be able to do their breeding program well if they kept every single dog. I've rehomed a dog because she was terrified of my other dog and was constantly miserable (it was in her best interest). To rehome a dog because you changed your mind and want a show dog now? Just being honest here, but it comes off as flakey and irresponsible. You can't just say you were emotional when you bought him. How's a breeder supposed to know you're not just emotional in wanting a breeding quality dog? How can they trust you not to change your mind a month or a year later? The truth is, most breeders sell breeding/show quality puppies to people who they know well or have reason to believe are reliable. This is especially true in with Nihon Ken, as breeding them focuses so much on preservation. It's not just about you or me or the individual dogs, it's about making sure there's genetic diversity and careful breeding being done by committed, thoughtful individuals. Maybe you are a committed, thoughtful individual, but giving up your new puppy because you got what you paid for and changed your mind does not give anyone confidence.

As has been stated ad naseum, there are no guarantees, and if you truly want to get into breeding dogs, you have to love dogs first and breeding second. I have one of the contracts you speak of, with a "guarantee" that my puppy would be show/breeding quality. Well, he turned out not to be because he was a cryptorchid and had to be neutered. As per my contract, I'm entitled to a replacement puppy, but I didn't send my first puppy back to get a new one. Some day, when I have room for another dog, I'll get another one and hopefully that one will be able to be kept intact.

Because, really, I wanted a dog first, and my desire to have a breeding dog stems more from my desire to help out with the preservation efforts. I was disappointed that he wasn't bred because he has some really nice qualities and I care about the breed, not because I need him to be a show dog and father puppies. Although, even if I had sent him back, that would have been completely different because I was expecting a breeding quality dog and didn't get one (no one's fault, it just happens).

I guess what I'm wondering is, why do you really need a show/breeding dog?
  • Temporarily shutting down this thread.
    Looks like the points that needed to be made were, and there's a nice summation in @cezieg's last comment.

This is a community where we try to keep things informative and civil.
    Regardless of how you strongly you feel about something you can make your points without using profanity and name calling.
This discussion has been closed.