The Shikoku as a guard dog?

Can the Shikoku-ken be a guard dog? As in, if you're ever threatened or attacked, if they would protect you. And what would a Shikoku do if a thief broke into your property? Just curious about the aspects of this breed.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I would assume they would be.  I think any dog would try to save their owner's if put in the situation.  As for Shikoku's it may be hard to find this information, since the breed is so rare.  Although, from Brad's video's it seems that Ahi has taken the role of Guard Dog at his place. 
  • edited November -1
    I honestly don't know how Rakka would react if I were in danger or a thief broke in because it's never happened.  She's very watchful of the property, though.  She makes an excellent alarm dog, but I can't say about actually defending.
  • edited November -1
    Ahi is an amazing watchdog, out of all our dogs I trust 100% that she would defend our pack. Actually I have seen her defend our pack from another dog and I have seen her warn off humans.

Loa is very watchful, but I would not consider her to be an impressive watchdog. So I think it depends on the bloodlines.

I agree with Heidi tho, a Shikoku is a great alarm dog... tho having written that, I have NEVER heard Loa bark.
  • edited November -1
    With Ahi doing all the noise making she does, Loa probably does not need to make any noise.
  • edited April 2008
    My Shikoku is a good alarm dog (barking at strange  noises), but I do not think he would be a good guard dog. First, he is super friendly to all people (I have yet to see him be shy with anyone) and he has a bit of a soft personality, so all someone would have to do is raise their voice and I think he would back down. He is definitely NOT an alpha type.

Plus, Shikoku really aren't that big (they are compared to Shibas but not to other dogs). They are only about 19 - 20.5 inches tall and weigh around 40 lbs (some heavier, some lighter). So even if they were protective, they still are smallish dogs.
  • edited November -1
    I think your probably right Brandon. lol.

I think Kris makes a good point, they are kinda small and therefore less intimidating.

Also, Ahi loves people too, and is pretty submissive to them... but I have seen her react to a person she didn't like or didn't feel was safe and it is rather hectic. She has a warning bark that would stop even the most confident of dog people... so I'm not sure an intruder would get past the noise.

Also, Shikoku are kinda wild looking - this seems to freak people out... so they have that working for them too.

Having said everything I have said, I'm not sure I would pick a Shikoku-Ken as a breed if I was looking for a watchdog... The watchdog / alarm-dog quality of a Shikoku is more like an added bonus and not a breed strong suit.

----

It would also have a lot to do with their temperament. If someone broke into our house, Loa would run away and if corned would roll over on her back.

Ahi would bark, a lot, and then if corned would bite.

Ahi is a very dominant dog, Loa is not... that might be the difference that makes a Shikoku a good guard dog or not.

• edited November -1
    I would like to point out that true GUARD dogs, are not pets. Once you train a dog to be unfriendly to strangers, they are not safe to have as pets. Any dog is going to be somewhat protective of their home and their owner. I know Piglet would take a bullet for me and God help someone stupid enough to try to hurt me. But then again Moto in all his shiba ness is very protective of the home when new people come to the door.

Personally I would never want a dog to be any more protective than warning barks.
  • edited April 2008
    A dog has to be properly trained to actually attack someone and defend you.  Most dogs, as protective as they may seem, will probably never actually bite someone to protect you.  I would think the dog would have to be personally threatened to elicit that type of response.   There are a lot of sporting dogs trained to bite on command, but if you put them on the street to really protect you(say a police dog) there is no guarantee they will bite someone without a bite suit on that they used to train with.  And the dogs that are truely reliable and good at it are trained from when they were puppies to think it's a game and that they are being rewarded.     
  • edited November -1

I agree with jessica.  True guard dogs are not pet.  If you are really looking for some protection for your home, get an alarm system.

• edited November -1
    I'm not looking for strictly a guard dog. I want a pet not an attack dog or alarm system. I was simply wondering about the extent of this trait in the Shikoku. I got my answer, that's all that's necessary. Attack dogs and alarm system issues wasn't what I meant to ask about.
  • edited November -1
    I figured you wanted a pet but just wanted to gauge the Shikoku's protective qualities... I may have pushed the subject of the thread off into a different direction than you intended... sorry.  :c)

I just wanted to be clear I was not advocating using a Shikoku solely as a watch/gaurd/alarm dog.

----

I think the summary would be, yes a Shikoku makes an ok alarm/watch dog but not like a German Shepard or Dobe.
  • edited November -1
    Ditto everything Brad and Jessica said.
  • edited November -1

Sorry Glacier, I did not mean to misread your intentions.

• edited November -1
    Please don't be offended.

Keep in mind, many of us work in rescue settings and in situations where people have misguided intentions. I am always hoping that I am saying something you already know (i.e. guard dogs are not pets) but sometimes need to make points like that clear also for the benefit of people who read and do not post to make sure they understand that point.

• edited November -1
    just fyi, not all dobes are good guard dogs.  many are very soft and only make excellent alarm dogs.  i joke that my doberman needs her own guard dog, and she comes from show/sport breeding lines.  we had to switch from protection sports to therapy training as her "extra-curriculars."  on the other hand, siberians are known to make terrible guard dogs, but i have seen my friend's sibe bodyslam a threatening male stranger on the street.

it's funny how dogs are so dissimilar even after so many years of selective breeding.

tammy (lurker and lover of northern breeds like shikokus!)
  • edited November -1
    Hi Tammy welcome. I agree completely. I grew up with German Shepards and Rotties and they were all mushes. And I have seen Golden Retrievers that make me NERVOUS
  • edited November -1
    Welcome Tammy!

Thanx for the input, I didn't mean to generalize... I was just trying to make a point. All the Dobes I have met have been super cool... I like the breed a lot.

Aren't Dobes supposed to let any intruder into the house but not let them leave? <- Someone told me that was the breeds M.O.

I met the meanest Golden the other day - freaked me out!
  • edited November -1
    I accept your apologies. I'm not mad (just was a little bit annoyed but it's ok now). Just glad you guys finally got my point, and I certainly got yours! Oh well. Misunderstandings happen, especially when all you get from the other person is typed words. :)

And as for golden retrievers, my dog got mauled by a golden retriever a few months ago! How's that for breed temperament?
  • edited November -1
    Keep in mind that breed temperament should make for about 60-70% chance of getting what you "ordered". There are other factors, including the individual personality of the dog, what owners get them used to, and the proverbial exception to the rule. I've seen a Golden that would put to shame almost every RCI Rottie or GSD. That guy was protective!! And also very sweet! Also know very submissive Rotts  and other examples.

Brad - Almost every Dobie I've seen does not operate like that. They bark at strangers passing from the house they're guarding. Actually they even bark a bit too much, IMO.
  • edited November -1
    *poof* -appears-

Kei-kun will definitely sound alarm if HE thinks something is wrong. Otherwise, he'd just as soon as spring up to the "intruder", jump on him/her and then follow him/her home. He's SUPER FRIENDLY. So, I wouldn't recommend the breed as "guard dog". Then again, my 30 lbs, 19 inch puppy prevented one of my roommates from re-entering the house because he was springing around all over the place <--- crazy kid (my puppy). So maybe this is the "new guard dog way"? Whatever works, right? lol. He play nips too <-- and that leaves marks, believe you me!

Dobermanns generally have a silent guard and sneak up on you if you intrude. This is according to Dober-owners of a past Dobermann forum I used to be on. Dobermanns have goofy and fun-loving personalities. Most indeed aren't suited as guard dogs, very few nowdays are. So sad.

Lynx was attacked by a Golden Retriever once, as a pup -frowns-.

-disappears again-
  • edited November -1
    *disables poofing for Corina*
  • edited November -1
    LMAO... Hey! I think I saw the elusive Corina... I blinked... and then she was gone, but she left some interesting information behind. lol.
  • edited November -1
    definitely dobes bark too much.... extremely alert dogs! sometimes they look really goofy, like when they give loud alarm barks at the extremely dangerous plastic bag on the sidewalk. my friend's sibe and my jindo just stare curiously at the dobe when she starts barking her head off and never join in. i really think my love for northern breeds intensified after sharing my life with a doberman, because while i could never live without her, sometimes a dog that's her complete opposite is really refreshing. the mischief, the cute vocal "talkiness," the fluff.... :)

from my experience, a dobe (especially a dobermann) that guards well will not allow intruders to enter, much less leave. they are all or nothing. and my jindo was the silent attacker type. gardeners beware!

if ever i have the property and the need for a true guard dog, i plan on choosing a flock guardian breed, like a tibetan mastiff or a great pyrenees. IMO those are the best guard dogs ever bred. ovcharkas are probably known for being the "best" out of the lot, but i don't feel up to the challenge of owning one!

thanks for the welcome everyone!

-tammy
  • edited November -1
    How did I overlook this...Rina, you disabled Corina's poofing while she was gone. How's she going to get back now? :-(
  • edited November -1
    I can only comment on Ronan...

Guard? HA! No. Watch? Oh yeah! He's tops. He'll bark if anyone even thinks about coming into the yard.

In fairness, Tasha, my Akita is as much of a guard OR watch dog as a hamster. She won't bark, and she's as vicious as a cotton ball. As for good guard dogs not being excellent pets, I disagree. Jack, my male Akita was the BEST guard dog (never trained, just the natural instinct), and he was my absolute heart-dog. He was the best companion I could ever have asked for.
  • edited November -1
    Dave - Uh oh *reable Corina poof*