Ever read: Japanese Dogs: Akita, Shiba, and Other Breeds?

edited April 2008 in General
I was wondering if any of you guys have seen or read this book and if its worth it to buy it or if it is the same stuff you read in here and on other online sources?

Comments

• edited November -1

Yea, we have that book - I think it is a very good book and an interesting read too. Most of the info you will have already read but some of the stuff towards the back of the book is integrating. It even covers the Jomon Shiba.

I think it has been pretty accurate in all of the descriptions of the breeds I have been in contact with

What the book says about Hokkaido might freak you out a bit tho. Undecided

• edited April 2008

UHHH OHHH. Sealed

Its funny....I was reading my old emails (back in November/December) when I started acquiring getting a Hokkaido and I didnt know much about them at the time, so anyways and I found an email from a Hokkaido breeder in Japan and thought it was interesting:

Dear Jamie Maxwell,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can't speak English but can read and write in English.

In Japan, though almost all the members of the preservation societies are excellent dog handlers, they are not good at English and can't enjoy writing and don't love a computer.

So I want to enlighten people in the world about the breed.

My name is Kazuhiro Takada.

I am 65 years old.

I was working for a private senior high school and taught biology.

I am working for a law office now.

How old are you?

What kind of work do you do?

Did you read "introduction" and "information" and "standard" on my website ?

The dog is wild and bold.

Our native Japanese breed differs from the European and American breeds that have been improved to be easy to handle.

Even at Japanese pet shops, you can't find the Ainu dog.

The members of the preservation societies have the dogs.

The breed is rare in Japan.

I was born in Tokyo and grew up in Hokkaido.

My grandfather kept the Ainu dog and loved it.

I have been living in the City of Takasaki, Gunma in Honsyu since 1977.

If you live in USA, you need $3,200 for a puppy.

-----------------------------------------------------------

puppy and pedigree                                                $  900

box, care, quarantine and communications expenses  $  500

domestic transportation and export                          $1,800

-----------------------------------------------------------

You need lots of money as the cost of domestic transportation and export.

--------------------------------------

from Hokkaido etc. to Tokyo by plane

from Tokyo to Takasaki by car

from Takasaki to Narita by car

from Narita to USA by plane

--------------------------------------

You must be anxious about dying in the flight but I can't return any of your payment.

If we (I and the members of preservation societies) send a puppy, we send a pure Ainu dog only with a pedigree.

I leave every domestic transportation to my animal shipper in Japan.

And then my transportation company in Japan takes the dog from him and exports that for you.

The company acts for all of matters to do for export such as health certificate and will send the dog to you.

I am not a full-time breeder.

We (the members of the preservation societies) have a regular job and are active in the preservation of the breed in our spare time.

Transporting a dog from Hokkaido etc. takes much time and labor.

Because it is hot and humid in the summer in Japan, we can't transport a dog by plane in Japan.

I think you can't transport a dog by plane from Japan in the summer in USA.

And you can't do so in the winter in the north of USA because of a cold wave.

In the summer the cargo room is very hot and in the winter that is very cold.

Sincerely,

Kazuhiro Takada

-----------------------------------

Seta

seta2@ainu-dog.info

-----------------------------------

Hokkaido-Inu Museum

http://ainu-dog.info/

• edited November -1
    Wow didn't realize the restrictions on when you can ship your dog. I didn't come across any of those restrictions when looking into having my grandmother ship me a shiba from Japan.
  • edited November -1
    Actually, I think they are airline restrictions. I've read that many airlines won't allow dogs in the cargo hold during the summer or winter months. Even though you sign a liability waiver when you ship with the airlines, they probably don't want to even mess with the possibility of legal action for a dog that gets sick or dies due to the temperature.
  • edited November -1
    I was gonna go through Japan Airlines. I wonder what airline those restrictions are for.
  • edited November -1
    I have read this book, I think that it is worth of buying. Yes this book describes hokkaido inu as a rather hectic dog :) I have got almost the same e-mail from mr. Kazuhiro :) a few years ago :)
  • edited November -1
    I own the book and also think it is a solid purchase. 
  • edited November -1

Thanks Rob, and everyone else. I thought the book was kinda "pricey" for a book, but if it offers good solid information that I dont already know or cant read online, then it might be a good investment.

I would be worried about getting a Hokkaido from Japan, or any dog for that matter. I dont mean to put Japan down in any way, but the posting about how they keep there Akitas and other dogs in their "luxurious" pet shops, bothers me, and to not be able to get a refund if the dog died on the airline for lack of air/being too hot bothers me, especially coming all the way from Japan to USA.Undecided

• edited April 2008

I am curious about the travel for the dog within Japan:

from Hokkaido etc. to Tokyo by plane

from Tokyo to Takasaki by car

from Takasaki to Narita by car

from Narita to USA by plane

Aren't there a lot more direct flights from Tokyo to the US than from Narita?  For a human round-trip from Tokyo to Atlanta nonstop is $1105 including taxes - on Delta.

• edited November -1
    Narita is one of the two major airports in the Tokyo outskirts. That flight from Tokyo to Atlanta (which I've taken before) leaves from Narita. The domestic flight from Hokkaido (one of which I've also taken) probably lands at Haneda which is the other Tokyo airport (albeit a 2 hour bus ride away). It's kinda like NY with JFK and Laguardia airports.
  • edited November -1
    Okay - that makes more sense!
  • edited November -1

Check for the book on Amazon.  That's where I got it.

• edited November -1
    I love this book. I treasure it with my Japanese Shi-ba magazine issues.
  • edited November -1
    this book is sold out everywhere. any help where i can find it? amazon has a used one for $100. i did see it at the following website. anyone know if this is legit??

http://www.shibaweb.com/shibawebmag.htm
  • edited November -1
    Check with Barnes and Noble or some other major bookstore to see if they will order if for you. The price of the book is $29.95
  • edited November -1
    checked with barnes and they can't get it anywhere. can't order it either. if anyone can find this please reply :) thanks!
  • edited November -1
    borders told me it is out of print :( anyone have an extra copy laying around?? i guess i might have to purchase it from the above website.