health

edited July 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
hi. i have a 5 month old shiba who for the past 2 to 3 months has had very runny poo.i have had him in the vets 3 times for it and he is due to go back for a forth time soon so im just really looking for any home remidies i can try in the mean time if any body knows.we have changed him on to a lamb and rice diet from a chicken and rice but still no better.he is in great health other than that.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    what kind of food are you feeding him? brand? age/size appropriate?
    why did you change the food? how did you transition him?
    what else does the dog consume during the day?
    Are you giving the dog worming meds?

to firm stools, sometimes canned pumpkin - NOT THE PIE FILLING - works, but you should really get to the core of the issue, not just mask it.
  • edited November -1
    we had him on hills vet food then changed because we were adviced to by the vet.we gradually changed his food by mixing it with the food he was on.he does not consume anything else during the day.and yes he was wormed and is wormed regularly.we are trying to get to the core we are not masking it.we have had him in the vets 3 times for it.
  • edited July 2008
    what i meant by 'masking it' was that you can try to firm up the stools with remedies but certainly solving the runny stool issue is the most important thing to do, as I'm sure you are!

it might be the food..
    some resources for you to maybe understand the ingredients label on the food you are giving him and possible allergy signs or things in the food he just can't tolerate or what might be lacking in the diet:
    http://www.best-dog-food-guide.com/
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

if its not the food, maybe the worm pills are too much for him... or you should have him tested for stuff like giardia if he's lost weight instead of gaining it along with the runny stools, especially if he's drank from any other water source than your tap or played with other's dogs lately (in the last 2-3 months)
  • edited November -1
    ye i have requested for him to have tests done next time were down the vet because as you said we need to get to the root of the problem.to be hounest im loosing my patients with the vet a bit.because this will be our 4th time there for the same problem.no there is no weight loss at all.he is doing great in evey other way.full off energy.just this poo problem.
  • edited November -1
    Oh the glory of a decent poo....not something one thinks about until the have a puppy. (LOL) It is not uncommon for puppies to have or get parasites.

Is there blood in his poop? If there is your pup may have a protozoa infestation. Not to worry it is treatable. Sometimes different meds have to be used if the first ones did not work.

To determine what type of parasites you may have to take fecal samples several different times to clinic for testing. Not all parasites show up on the the tests each and every time. If you recently wormed pup you may need to do it again in 3 weeks to break the cycle by medicating more than once.

Bowel irritation can take some time to work through after worming, you will have to talk with your vet to see if you can get something to ease his stomach.

It's not always a cut and dry thing to figure out the cause or specific organism that may be instigating the problem. Be patient and work with your vet one step at a time to figure out the problem.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    We went through this with Bella last summer. It started in August and we did not get to the bottom of it until the end of February. After extensive testing and almost going through surgery, it turned out she had eaten the inside of a tennis ball when she stayed with my mom while Eric and I were on vacation.

Has your vet done any X-rays or an ultrasound to see if there might be an obstruction or foreign object?

Hopefully things will get better soon!
  • edited November -1
    I wanted to pick everyone's brain about vaccinations for the Shiba. My vet reccomends distemper and rabies vaccine (the basics I am ok with) but when it comes to the others, I am not sure if she is just trying to "upsell" me or if I really need to get these vaccines. The questionable vaccines include Periodontal Vaccine, Lepto vaccine, giardia vaccine and Lyme Vaccine. I have heard a lot about vaccine reaction, I have also heard that Shibas are sensitive to anesthesia and vaccines. My vet told me my dog could die if he gets Lyme disease or he could be fine living with it. What does that mean????? Do ya'll have any suggestions or reccomendations when it comes to a shibas vaccination schedule. I am terrified to give the vaccine but just as scared of the actual diseases they protect against.
  • edited July 2008
    anesthesia - my shibas did not have any issues with it for procedures when it was needed, but I did do blood work before the procedures to make sure the dog was otherwise healthy.

and after researching all aspects of the vaccination issues, that's a call you'll have to make for your shiba based on where you live, your shibas activities and the threat of those diseases.
    This is a good source to start with: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/newsletters/puppies/canine_vacines.html

Personally, I only do the core vaccines in a 3 year booster. Properly using an effective flea/tick preventative should keep the threat of contracting lymes down by a great deal. Not letting the dog drink from unclean water sources and keeping away from unvetted dogs should keep the giardia at bay.

edit: periodontal disease can be prevented, probably in whole, by giving raw meaty bones or other chew stimulating bones to keep teeth naturally clean for the whole of the pups life without lining the pockets of pfizer!
  • edited November -1
    tsukitsune, where might I procure some raw meaty bones???

~Andy
  • edited November -1
    The vaccines I do for my pups are the DHPP(Distemper, I don't know what the h stands for, Parinfluenza, Parvovirus), and Rabies every 3 years after the puppy shots and 1 year booster. I do the Leptospirosis vaccine every year due to recommendations from vets and living in the woods. I don't do Lymes because I use Frontline and I wasn't aware of a Giardia or Periodontal vaccine.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the input guys!

I, personally, thought that the periodontal vaccine sounded like a scam. I have a 7 year old corgi/chihuahua cross that has never needed a dental because he always got bones to keep his teeth healthy. My vet told me that my chihuahua should get this vaccine next year at his annual despite never having any dental issues. Because she is trying to push this vaccine on me I feel like she is trying to push the others on me too, perhaps not for health reasons but for $$$.

I have been using Frontline for years and I like the product. However, I have found ticks on my dog despite applying Frontline regularly. I contacted Frontline and asked them about the tick prevention and they told me it will not repel ticks rather it will kill them once they attach, therefore kiling them before they can transmit the disease.(lyme disease takes upwards of 24hrs of attachment to transmit) I hope this is true. I have only found ticks crawling on the fur, not embedded in my dogs skin, so prehaps there is some truth to what they say. I am just so skeptical of these drug companies because so many ignore health risks to make a buck.

I am happy to hear that nobody reported sensitivity to anesthesia or vaccines. This was my biggest concern when researching the breed. I had read a lot about shiba sensitivity. My last shiba died as a result of surgery, although not due to the anesthesia. He died about 48 hrs after his neuter. We did a necropsy and pathology but found only that he had a massive heart attack and suffered damage to 3/4 of his heart. There was no real cause to be found. I still miss him so much!!!

Now I have a new pup and I just want to make sure he is always ok and that I am ALWAYS making decisions based on his health and well being. Thank you for all your responses. I really appreciate it!
  • edited November -1
    I would look at the article in the most recent Whole Dog Journal Aug Issue about vaccines so you can make an informed decision.

It probably is best not to over vaccinate. The vaccine for the periodontal for the chichuahua is something they advocated probably since that breed has a propensity for tooth problems. However, at this stage of the game I don't think it is needed for a Shiba puppy. Lyme vaccine I have heard has some side effects for some dogs. It may not be essential at this stage of things either. Again look at WDJ to determine what you would like to do.

We don't load up our dogs with too many vaccs at once and use a titer test to determine what immunity is left before giving the next set once puppy vaccs are up to date.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Sky's vet results came back and the vet cant find any parasites or viral infections or anything else so hes to go for his checkup on friday. She thinks he just has a sensitive gut, has anybody else had a problem with this and if so what would be the best food for him, we live in Ireland so were prob a bit more limited with the food we can get. He's on a prescription diet at the moment to help determine if he just cant handle alot of foods, she also said organic food might help, any taughts?
  • edited November -1
    I have a lot of experience with this since Lucy has IBD. Sky is probably too young to have developed IBD though. Which prescription diet is he on?
  • edited November -1
    He's on the Hill's science plan diet. The vet put him on it for the next few days to see if it will help clear it and if it does she'l know for sure if its gut sesitivity. I'm happy were strating to find out more now but its a killer trying to find the best food for him!!!!!
  • edited November -1
    If it is an allergy to something in his food, you may have to try multiple diets before you figure out what the cause is. Lucy has been on six or seven different diets in the past year, but we've finally found one that works for her (at least for now). Which one of the Hill's foods is it? Is it the I/D?
  • edited November -1
    Yeah its the I/D. He was on hill's at the start, just the puppy junior chicken but he didnt suit that and we did try the beta both chicken/rice and lamb/rice becasue somebody told us it was a good food. We just hate seeing him like that and wake up every morning now praying for a good poo!!!! How long would you keep Lucy on one food before knowing it didnt work and changing it? We try to keep him on as long as possible and gradually switch but were also worried were upsetting his belly by changing so much
  • edited November -1
    For food trials you should expect to see a change in 8 weeks time if there is no change it is probably not effective.
    If it is IBD or a food allergy additional diets that would be effective and have been good are:

Prescription diet Eukanuba Low residue: (is basically a chicken soup for dogs) a light, highly palatable diet that will produce less stool and be easy on the stomach.

HIlls science diet D/D (duck and green pea, rabbit and green pea or venison and green pea) these diets are new innovation against food allergies (IBD is a possibly a expression of a food allergy in the gut) THese diets work by introducing novelle proteins that the dog should not have been introduced to yet, therefore not provoking a allergic reaction in the gut.

Hills science diet Z/D: THis food is also for food allergies and works because the molecules chicken and allergic food types are hydrolyzed making them so small they are not recognized by the bodies defense mechanism.

WHen changing diets or even everyday you can give 1/4th of a tablet of pepcid A/C, this helps the over discomfort and stops the stomach form being upset from switching diets.

Talk to your vet. about using metronidazole, this is a anti-parasite/anti-bacteria that works against ones you usually dont see in a fecal and helps establish a good bacteria environment in the gut but it also has anti-inflammatory properties which settles the gut and allows proper absorption of fluid which equals good poo!
    We typically give this to animals who have chronic diarrhea, it is used against IBD as well in combination with prednisone. I would not use prednisone at this stage.

THe problem with giving the metronidazole at the same time as the food trial is you dont know which cured the diarrhea but seeing as this has continued for months I reccomend asking for metronidazole anyway and doing it at the same time, then continuing with a Low residue type diet.

Did you send the fecal out to a testing lab? If not sometimes the local vets can not pick up on some of the rarer parasites.

Hope this helps!!!
    Let me know...
  • edited November -1
    Thanks!! That is alot of help, yes she sent it out to a testing lab and she's going through all the options with us at the moment to get to the cause of the problem.
    I'll mention the metronidazole on Friday, hes due back for a checkup to see hows hes coming along.
  • edited November -1
    Andrew,
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a question if you can help: why is rabbit considered a novel protein?
  • edited November -1
    I would STRONGLY suggest talking to a holistic vet in regards to your pups stomach before you get too swamped up with prescriptions. Also take a look at some of our nutrition threads about Hills and Eukanuba. I just switched all my dogs to real food (meaning I cook for them) and literally their poop, their energy, and their temperaments seemed to improve overnight.

Just something to consider.
  • edited November -1
    I'd be interested in trying the real food for him as the vet has suggested processed food from stores could be too much. What would you make for your dogs? Would the cost be extreamly high or did you find it reasonable?
  • edited November -1
    In a lot of ways it works out to be cheaper then dog food (my holistic vet refers to dog food as bags of death or lava rocks). It is also kind of fun. I steam collard greens and kale, sweet potatoes, and beets. I then put them in a food processor and make a mash. I then LIGHTLY grill up one of the following proteins (doing my derndest to include organ meat as well as light and dark meat) rabbit, turkey, venison, chicken, or duck (I would do lamb or beef but they're too rich for my kids), I also will use sushi grade tuna (raw) or cooked salmon, cod, haddock, tilapia. You can cook a weeks worth of veggies and mix it with the meat of your choice. My vet has me cook even though she condones raw just because she has seen enough dogs get sick from poor raw food handling. I don't do any grain (AT ALL), dogs are not meant to eat rice or wheat or corn (how many packs of wolves do you see frolicking in the wheat fields or rice paddies? Try it out. Your dog will love you EVEN MORE than he already does.
  • edited November -1
    Thats awesome, Jessica! We have realized how our diet change to raw/homemade has greatly improved our dogs in every single aspect of their health and well being, too.

Sky2 - there are also canine nutritionists who can work with your vet to come up with a biologically appropriate diet for a dog with digestion issues without having to resort to processed prescription vet diets.

You can do a lot of independent research for Sky's diet health as well, you can start with these basic info websites:
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/
    http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html
    http://lowchensaustralia.com/health/diet.htm
    http://www.canismajor.com/dog/nutrit2.html

hey forum! maybe we should start a sticky on how to do independent research for the best dog foods and canine nutrition?
  • edited November -1
    I will give that a try and see how he does on it, do you cook the food in bulk in the fridge and keep it or cook it fresh every day?
  • edited November -1
    The veggies I cook in bulk for the week. The meat I cook about 3 meals worth (I feed twice a day). If I didn't have three dogs and was just cooking for one dog, I would probably cook about 3 days worth of food.
  • edited November -1
    I have 3 dogs aswell so i'll be cooking the same bulk. do you put much meat in with the veg?
  • edited November -1
    I do a 50/50 ratio
  • edited November -1
    How did you come to that ratio? Do you do a percentage by the dog's body weight?
    How did you pick your protein sources and veggies? Do you use fruit?
  • edited November -1
    My holistic vet put together a least of foods to use and portion amounts and ratios.

I do fruits as treats, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, and apples mostly. But not to often, too much fruit makes a squishy belly.
This discussion has been closed.