The official Nihon Ken Food Poll: Non-RAW Brands

What brand of food of you feed your dogs?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Well I voted for Timberwolf because I feed that the most, but I am always rotating.
  • edited November -1
    I put NV, but I also keep EVO, Evangers, and Nature's Organics canned on hand.
  • edited November -1

I had to choose "Other" because I vary Tenji's kibble.  In his "food drawer" he has all the above choices and I vary them during the week.  He also has "Solid Gold" in addition to the rest.  I think that he prefers Innova RM Evo, but not sure as he is not a serious "foodie".  Exception;  He loves Innova RM No-grain treats.

• edited November -1

Oh yeah,  I have lots of Evangers, Evo, and Nature's Logic canned to add if needed.

• edited November -1
    I added Solid Gold - my bad. I also thought you could vote more than once but i guess not... i will check on that.
  • edited November -1

We have fed our Akitas the same diet for decades.  They have superior coats and skin health (even though we are in Florida), excellent weights and very long lives (bitches average 13-14 years).  We feed Purina Pro Plan (ONE is the same thing) Large Breed Puppy Formula.  A little canned pedigree puppy lamb and rice is added for flavor enhancement.  They stay on this formula their entire lives as we have found (and research has proven) that Akita have a lifetime higher requirement for protein and fats.  Obviously, one must adjust the amount fed to maintain proper weight.

I am not a proponent of raw diets, but everyone can make his own decision there.

One important note:  we add approximately 3 tablespoons of peanut oil to each dog's food at each meal (adults are fed once daily).  Regardless of what food one feeds this should be done as it is a protectant against bloat.  No veterinarian you ask will consider this valid unless they are also large animal veterinarians.  They simply don't know.  The presence of oil in the stomach with food prevents the formation of foaming bubbles.  In sheep and cattle, species in which bloat is a very common problem, the treatment is oil through a gastic tube.  To prevent bloat in grazing animals, pastures are sprayed with "pasture oil" which is a parrafin oil (not suitable for dogs).  Therefore the science supports the practice in dogs.

In over 32 years, I have never had a single case of bloat ... even in dogs whose parents and siblings died of it.  Beginning at the age of 14, I began working in veterinary medicine ... something I did into my 30's as a clinic administrator and certified veterinary technologist.  I picked up the oil as a prevention to bloat in dogs from the first veterinarian for whom I worked over 12 years.  He was a small and large animal veterinarian and a skilled, experienced dog breeder (greyhounds).  

I specifically use peanut oil as it is a monounsaturated oil and has a high level of biotin which helps coat and skin health.  Since I have several Akitas, I buy it by the gallon at one the membership warehouses to which I belong, but it is readily available in any supermarket.

Just a suggestion that is easy and inexpensive to do and certainly won't hurt anything.  I completely attribute my freedom from bloat in my Akitas to this practice.  Those deciding to adopt this practice shoud start at a smaller amount of oil and build up.  I would assume 2 tbs would be adequate for the smaller breeds.

• edited November -1

We give our dogs Fish Oil, would that work in place of peanut oil?

• edited November -1

So you have never had an issue with your dogs having reactions to all the grain (corn) that is in Pro Plan? Kaia, our Shiba is very sensitive to corn that is what got us on the holistic food kick, but that lead to RAW and to grain free.

You should just try Orijen for one of your dogs to see the difference. I bet you would see a big difference. Orijen is high in protein too.  :c)

• edited November -1
    Brad has converted me to Orijen and I swear by it now!  I think I am a walking commercial now.  The girls love it and are getting in better and better shape!
  • edited November -1

Not to be contrary, but I do not change foods when something has been successful for so long.  None of my dogs has ever had any allergic reactions, they have beautiful, lush, coats, healthy skin and stay in excellent condition even under the demands of show conditioning.  We simply cannot afford to feed our dogs any food that does not produce consistent, high-end results.

Frankly, I usually avoid discussions on food because people feel so strongly about their choices.  If you have a dog suffering from a suspected allergen reaction, by all means, try a hypo-allergenic food.  

As someone involved closely with the Canine Health Foundation, I also appreciate the fact that part of every dime I spend on Purina products go to the significant support of canine health and funded health research Purina gives.

My primary advice would be to find a food you and your dog like and
    that the dogs do well with and stick to it.  Many people are so quick
    to switch back and forth from one diet to another.  Of course, this is
    usually motivated by a desire to give their dogs what they consider the
    best in nutrition, but it isn't often to the dogs' best interest.

Sorry guys, but you'll find no food convert here <lol>. 

Michael

• edited November -1

We feed two of our dogs Eukanuba - different blends for each dog. The shiba mix does well with the diet blend. The border collies have always had sensitive stomachs, and we've tried a few blends to see if it improved their digestion, including the 'sensitive stomach', which is grain-free, but eventually went to the sporting blend with the older bc. He is keeping weight on, healthy coat and teeth - crazy active. It's incredible to see the bcs at the dog park - they never stop. We are trying Core with the younger bc - so far it's working, and he loves it, but I'm still waiting it out.

• edited December 2007
    Purina anyone? but I also feed her raw meat 2-3 times a week.
  • edited November -1
    I feed mine Nature's Recipe. It is a good food at a good price $30ish for a 40lb bag.
  • edited November -1
    We are feeding our dogs Orijen - standard formula. I'm trying to get orijen with fish, but it seems to me that due to very large demand on american market it is not yet available in Poland.
  • edited November -1
    When you are able to get it, I STRONGLY recommend the fish formula. It has done wonders for my dogs' coats. even my vet has commented.
  • edited November -1
    I feed my dog and cat Eagle Pack brand foods. :) Very great food. My cat is on Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken, and Toby is on Eagle Pack Puppy.
  • edited November -1
    Wow to many brands O.O i feed my dog with Hills nature's best :)
  • edited November -1
    The cats get Taste of the Wild and it'll probably be the first brand we try the pup on.
  • edited November -1
    I was feeding my BT Evo but he's poops were a little smelly. Were doing Taste of the Wild now. With Zoie well probably start her on taste of the wild were trying to switch her food from what the breeder ws using. I would love to use Orijen fresh fish 6 but no one in NM is carrying it yet
  • edited November -1
    I feed Merrick dry food and my boy also gets Honest Kitchen in the morning and evening.
  • edited November -1
    I feed Orijen 6 Fish and Shinra loves it! I like to mix in green venison tripe by Canine Caviar or Tripette (green lamb tripe). The digestive acids in the tripe help with the dogs digestion as well as the enzymes helping with keeping the teeth clean and fresh. It is important to get GREEN tripe as opposed to the tripe you can buy at the grocery store. Green tripe contains vegetation and fuits which are tremendously beneficial to dogs. As a trat I like to give Shinra Wellness grain free venison jerky. My Shinra's overall condition is superb and I couldn't be happier with his stools. (Small, firm and practically odorless!) ...... I know, I couldn't believe it either.
  • edited November -1
    I am feeding my shiba eagle pack fish formula. she seems to like it.
  • edited November -1
    Does anybody feed/recomend Ziwi Peak? I heard it was similar to Orijen. I have been adding their Venison+green tripe+hoki fish formula flakes to Beebe's diet since she began getting loose stools on the Lamb meal from Solid Gold (just too much grain for her). She is one big muscle now and her poops are some much better, but I was curious if anybody else has used this and how you would compare it to Orijen?
  • edited November -1
    I give their treats - the venison/mussel formula - the dogs love them, no allergic reactions, no ill effects.
    Their food is ridiculously expensive for feeding 3 dogs, otherwise I'd have considered it.
  • edited November -1
    I looked into their food when I was feeding Lucy venison. I haven't used it, nor have I found anyone else that does. But, they do have great ingredient lists and what appears to be a good philosophy. I don't know if they have been reviewed by WDJ or not though.
  • edited November -1
    I guess I can't vote again, but the conversion to Orijen 6 Fresh Fish has been very successful. :)
  • edited November -1
    Thanks, it IS SO expensive.
  • edited November -1
    Orijen, as of the last 7 months. I'll be sticking with it too, I've noticed a significant improvement in my Chihuahua's coats. I always thought they were shiney and good looking before but since their last moult thier fur has doubled in thickness and is much softer than before.

Only bad thing is one of them does the most disgusting smelling farts on it lol