What is your favorite Shiba goodie/supply?

edited August 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Hi,
As I am planning on getting a shiba in the (hopefully) near future, I was shopping around for different goodies, gates, toys, crate, leashes, harness, dog backpack, bowls, etc...

I was wondering if everyone could help me and thought it would be interesting to see what everyones favorite shiba goodies are!

So what are your favorite shiba supplies?
(it would be helpful to know estimated sizes for things like crates)
(or for example if your shiba climbed over a 30"gate, so your got a larger one or chewed through a plastic crate so you needed a metal one and this toy is my favorite because it took them forever to eviscerate it )

Thanks for the help and have fun and let me know how to spoil my shiba!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Sky loves the toys that are like thick ropes with a little fake (but heavy) tyre at the end, gives him hours of chewing and he loves tossing it up to see how high he can get it. He also loves small balls or toys he can play fetch or chasing with. He brings it back for awhile and then decides it would be much more fun to have you chase him instead.
    He just has a plain leather collar but we have that so we can take it off him easily, we live beside fields so when were in the field alone we let him off the leash to run off a bit of steam!!
    I would not suggest getting a plastic eating bowl, i dont know if anybodys shibas are the same but Sky tends to play with his so he broke it, got him a nice steel one that will last.
    I dont use a crate so wouldnt be able to advise you on that one sorry but hope this helps a bit!! :-)
  • edited November -1
    As far as treats go, I make a lot of Jazz's treats - there's a thread on here with recipes - you can do a search to pull those up. I also give her nutri-dents from Nylabone, and do frozen peanut butter with a kong. She loves chicken jerky and I'm going to try to make my own soon.

Jazz has two crates. Her main crate is a wire one that measures: 24" h x 21" w x 30" l. Her travel one isn't quite that large, but it folds down flat. Her serving bowls that I use are heavy glazed pottery.

Toys - anything that squeaks. Bad Cuz has some really good squeakers. I buy some of the cheap stuffed toys that has a squeaker. Jazz likes to kill the squeakers, but not always the toy. I have bought replacement squeakers and repaired the toys. Just look at the toys carefully and make sure there aren't parts that will come off and hurt your dog.
  • edited November -1
    Nemo likes toys that squeak and toys that you can stuff with food. Premier makes a line of toys called Busy Buddies that I use a lot.

We use a $12 gate from Target for our gating needs. You might need more than one for a young puppy.

For a harness we use the Premier Easy Walk harness. I like leashes and collars from Yellow Snow Dog gear.

http://www.yellowsnowdoggear.com/
  • edited November -1
    Hey, yellow snow finally has a website. They have nice stuff!
  • edited November -1
    Yes they came back a few weeks ago, and they do have nice stuff. I need to order another collar.
  • edited November -1
    collars - we don't really use much, but we have the martingale/pull collars from lupine (lupinepet.com)
    harness - lupine for walking and ruff wear (http://www.ruffwear.com) for hiking
    leash - lupine for walking and ruff wear for hiking

toys - good or bad cuz make all the shibas go nuts! but we haven't met a plushie squeak toy that can hold up to the shibas, but we still buy them. we also get fleece tugs instead of the rope tugs (like rescuemetugz.com), Air Kong squeakable Tennis Balls, wooba kongs and regular kongs

crates - we only use metal crates (I think the 26 - 40 lbs. size?) for training as pups and for feeding, we use an x-pen (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753740) for containment or other training, but you really have to construct a secure flooring for it...

we use stainless steel no slip bowls for water and food

we don't use many commercial treats anymore, but we get a lot of dehydrated beef organs (lung, liver, kidney) as training incentives, i slice and bake sweet potatoes as chews, i freeze fruit in yogurt for summer cold treats and we get dehydrated rabbit ears for just for funsies..
  • edited November -1
    Two big aluiminim bowls for water with a towel under it so he doenst make a mess!!!!

Dollar tree , 99 cents stores, and big lots for deals on chew toys. Saving money cuase owning a dog expensive!!!!
    that where I buy all my dogs chew stuff toys. I just say no to the treats and food there tho!!
This discussion has been closed.