Laika Pics

edited August 2008 in General

Comments

• edited November -1
    beautiful dog, like the one of her jumping of a tree
  • edited November -1
    Well, this is the photobucket debut, so bear with me.
    1. Guska headshot. He's so handsome!
    2. Triepak takes a rare pause on the trail in the snow.
    3-5. Guska
    6. Tuli hops!
    7. The Trio is ready for a tromp in the snow!
    8. Triepak circa 2003. His body has matured since then :)
    9. Tuli in VA beach
    10. Tuli hiking in Idaho
    11. Tuli treeing a squirrel
  • edited November -1
    Wow, your dogs are majestic! I had no idea how Nihon-Ken-ish they look. They are a bit smaller than I thought, but they really do have a big Akita type look. The first and eight kinda make their heads look a bit like an American Akita. They are all stunning.

BTW, I love the shot of the three of them getting ready to go for a romp in the snow. All sitting nicely on loose (leather...yay!) leashes.

Thanks for the spam!
  • edited November -1
    wow you have amazing dogs Sarah! I really like them, so good looking. Triepak's stance in the 8th picture is perfect!

I really like the second pic, its my fav. There is something so natural about it, like your getting a glimpse of a REL hunting in the Russian out back!

Their head shape is neat, they have the ancient look of an ancient sight hound and the primitive look of a Wolf/Coyote. Their color makes them look a little like our Akita, Lani.

Thanx for the Laika spam! :o)

----
  • edited November -1
    Beautiful doggies--- thanks for sharing the pics!
  • edited August 2008
    I love Laika, absolutely gorgeous dogs! They remind me of shiba / akita mixes with border collie colours :)

How are they temperament-wise? Are they primitive like the nihon ken? [ like, do they have high prey drives? ]~
  • edited November -1
    Great looking dogs!
    They might be "small" but I bet they're big hellraisers when they want to!
  • edited November -1
    they are beautiful! you can just see their character in the pictures - tuli is an especially pretty little thing!
  • edited November -1
    Absolutely gorgeous dogs! :)
  • edited November -1
    Your trio is gorgeous. Are they related to one another? How old are they?
  • edited November -1
    Thanks All!

Tuli, like most Laika females has a high opinion of self. She is a busy girl!

Tuli, Guska, and Triepak are littermates. They are currently 6 years old, though you'd never guess it. I didn't get them all as puppies (just Tuli). They have a co-owner in New Hampshire. Their litter was born in Wisconsin but both dam and sire were imported from Estonia.

Laiki are a general purpose hunting breed. They hunt big game (boar, bear, moose, lynx) as well as small game (squirrel, martin, raccoon, polecat, etc) with equal enthusiasm. Some are used for hunting birds (capercallie). Laiki track silently (unlike a hound) and bark when they have located their quarry. They either tree it or corner it and keep it busy until the hunter comes.
    So that would be a YES to high prey drive and a YES to hellraisers...I am kept well informed of ALL local wildlife.

http://www.pihkatapinkennel.net/
    http://krogstad.roros.net/english.html
    click on the hunting and pictures sections

Learn more about the hunting laika breeds here
    http://www.laikabreeds.multiservers.com/

They are highly territorial and can be quarrelsome with other dogs. Mine will kill cats. With strange people they are generally friendly or indifferent (aloof). They are exceptionally tolerant of children and very demonstrative and affectionate with people they know, but not 'clingy'.
    (Well...except for Triepak...he is the highjacker of love! LOL)

In general, Laiki are like other representative spitz breeds: intelligent, independent and strong-willed. They respond best to positive training methods and are easy to train but don't have a ton of "repeat factor" in them. The recall is a difficult concept for them.
  • edited August 2008
    oh Wow! Sarah, they sound just like the nihon ken. They must be an awesome breed to have :o Thanks for sharing the info & pictures with us <3!~
  • edited November -1
    wow they look awesome.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, they are gorgeous!
  • edited November -1
    Just a nice picture of Triepak on a hike along the Potomac River. Photo by S. Selander.

• edited November -1
    Gorgeous! Love the pose :)~
  • edited November -1
    wow - that's really a nice pic. I wish I could get shots like that of our dogs!

----
  • edited November -1
    Oh wow. I love the red highlights on his back. Is that a lighting thing or is there some red there usually? Very nice! :-)
  • edited November -1
    Hahaha...Brad, he was totally enthralled with watching some ducks so he sat perfectly still! The beauty of digital is you can take 17 crap photos and get one that is decent and you're not out much since you can simply hit delete!

Re. the red on his back: He is sunburnt! He has red in his tail too. Prior to coming to stay with me, Triepak lived outside in New Hampshire.

Red color on RELS is considered a fault (so is heavy ticking on limbs and head, and brindle coloration). The standard does not specify the shade of black coat color and in fact, there are glossy black and matte black dogs. The standard also does not specify the proportion of black/white either. Unlike the KBD, RELs can be primarily white as long as there is some black on the head and they have dark eyes/noses.
    Zar and Buran are examples
    http://canietracce.com/c_cani/laika/031127zar/041028indicezar.htm
    http://canietracce.com/c_cani/laika/0408buran/041028indiceburanari.htm

When Guska first showed up, he was sunburnt too! You can notice it around his shoulders and tail in this picture.

• edited November -1
    So it is a lighting thing....kinda. :-/
  • edited November -1
    Awww, Dave. Don't get so let down! lol :)~
  • edited November -1
    LOL...kinda
    I guess I just impatiently want it to go away so he's nice and black again, but it usually takes a few coat "cycles"! ...sigh...

You are not the first to comment and opine that it looks really neat.

:-)