dog food help

I am in the process of picking some new dog food to start giving my 17 week old puppy. I plan on switching every 3 or 4 months. The brands i'm thinking about using are Canidae - Grain Free ALS
Evo Small Bites
Instinct Chicken Meal
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula
Orijen Puppy
GO Natural Grain Free Canine

I was reading the dogfoodanalysis site and it said that foods with high protein are for adult dogs only. These foods all have high protein but are either puppy food or for all life stages. Do you guys think these will work for my puppy? Another question a little off-topic is that i have a yorkipoo that is getting a little overweight. she doesn't eat a lot so i don't know why she's getting fat. she is a little lazy but she started gaining the weight when i put her on barking at the moon. is the high protein amount causing the weight gain? thanks for any help

Comments

• edited November -1
    High protein should help them to burn fat. The carb in Barking at the Moon is potatoe which can be sort of starchy. You said the dog doesn't get much activity either. Things like renal disease can be worsened by eating too much protein, hypothyroid can cause weight gain and heart disease can cause edema or fluid retention especially in the belly. I know I have seen more often smaller dogs (poodles especially) with Cushings disease and pot bellies that make them appear fat as well.
    Assuming it is not a terrible disease, I would maybe guess the dog is just getting a lot of good nutrition. I always thought that higher protein diets contributed more to weight loss than gain as a rule, so check the fat content. This diet is also designed as a performance dog/diabetic dog diet and may have higher fat content so if your dog isn't burning it...Solid Gold makes Wee Bits which you could consider as an alternative (it has grain and is made from bison/fish) but I would want to rule out medical reasons for excessive weight gain 1st.
  • edited November -1
    My two are on Evo Small bites and Orijen Puppy. It has worked out really well.
  • edited November -1
    Is the high protein content good for puppies?
    what is a good percentage of fat content? most of the foods i'm thinking about are around 20%, is that too much for an overweight lazy dog.
  • edited November 2008
    on what Lindsay said, I understand that high protein, low carb diet helps heavier dogs lose weight more efficiently then higher carb diets that contain fewer calories. Do some comparative analysis on Barking at the Moon with similar foods in regard to carb/calorie content.

High protein foods that say they are formulated for puppies or say "all life stages" are safe foods for puppies (I hope).
    High-protein diets are generally suggested for dogs with high stress, high activity lifestyles. Can you maintain that for your shiba (which are high activity/energy)?
  • edited November -1
    Protein content shouldn't really be a problem for the puppy though I would question why you would feed something with 42% protein when growing puppies only require 20-25%.
    Don't be surprised if any bloodwork done turns up with an elevation in BUN.

The larger concern is calcium content. This is particularly important for large breeds. (Just ask Brad what the breeder told him about feeding the Anderson Pack's new CO! He was sort of horrified, initially!)

Puppies raised on various levels of protein (ranging from 18-32%) with the same energy and calcium intake, did NOT have any differences in incidence of bone abnormalities.

However, feeding different levels of energy OR calcium (but the SAME protein levels) DID produce differences in incidence of developmental bone disease.

Orijen appears to have 1.4-1.6% !! Calcium in their puppy diet.

Some good suggestions have already been posted about the Yorkipoo. Rule out any medical conditions first, then cut her back and exercise her more. In my opinion, most recommended feeding guides on the sides of dogfood bags are way too generous. Of course, they are in the business to sell more bags ;)

You can also give her things like cooked green beans and plain canned pumpkin. Most dogs enjoy them and they will help her feel full so you can decrease caloric intake.

What is your rationale for changing the foods every 3-4 months? Changing foods will not prevent the development of a food allergy and may limit your options if and when your dog does develop a food allergy.

An animal can only be allergic to a protein which the animal has been previously and continuously exposed. (Food proteins can also be from plant sources.) One can not have an allergic reaction to a fat, vitamin, mineral, carbohydrate, or food additive. Pets sometimes have food intolerances which are difficult to distinguish form food allergies. It is possible to have food intolerance to anything in the diet, including additives.

Good luck
  • edited November -1
    i wasn't going to switch their food due to any allergies. i just want to give them a variety. so i just need to make sure that each one has around the same amount of calcium?
  • edited November -1
    Now I'm confused...how much calcium should they have? Is 1.4-1.6% not enough? :o~
  • edited November -1
    1.4-1.6% Calcium is high. 0.9-1.1% would be better, especially for a large breed puppy (which I realize a shiba isn't!)
  • edited November -1
    <-- new shiba pup owner... not up to date with all the % for each ingredient.... but i ended up with getting "Wellness supermix5 chicken - just for puppy" (yellow bag). According to the dogfoodanalysis- its got 5 stars and pretty good for puppies.
  • edited November -1
    Keep an eye on your pups eyes. There isn't a lot of grain in that formula, however a lot of shibas are grain sensitive. My little mans eyes oozed green when he ate grain. You are feeding him a high quality food. Just something to watch for...
  • edited November -1
    Canidae - Grain Free ALS - New food! I am excited to try it! It has a moderate protien level (lower than most of the others) Binder is Potato, I have heard good things so far but it is still VERY New. It is also made in the Diamond factory which I dont like.

Evo Small Bites - Comes in red meat and white meat (Boo likes red meat) I REALLY like evo/natura products. My dog does excellent on this food. Made by natura in their own factory. They have never had a problem with any of their foods. Grade A Top quality product in every bag. Very high protien. Binder is Potato

Instinct Chicken Meal - Simpler formula than the others. Good one for sensative tummies, diabetic dogs ect because they use tapioca as a binder which is easier on the tummy. However it does tend to crumble allot because the tapioca doesnt bind so well. I like that Instinct has salmon in it Boo's coat looks better when there is fish in his food. Has a raw bio-coating which also helps with digestion. Great food!

Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula - Made by Diamond :-( Has allot of ingredients, doesn't have as high of protien as Id like however it is a good price. Potato is the binder

Orijen Puppy - I dont know much about Orijen except that it is made in Canada. I have heard good things though.

GO Natural Grain Free Canine - Also made in Canada. Good formula I have many customers that like it allot however its very similar to Evo white meat and instinct chicken. They also have a Turkey & Duck formula which is EXCELLENT for allergy dogs. Potato is the Binder

Others not listed that I like,

Honest Kitchen - Raw Dehydrated Foods Boo loves all of the flavors. It is less expensive than canned or raw and more convienent.
    Addiction - Same as above however harder to find.
    Core - I have some customers who LOVE this food however I havent tried it yet.
    Ziwi Peak - Boo LOVES this stuff it is more expensive but its great food and Boo thinks its a Treat.

I like switching Boo's food every few months and I think he likes it to. I also add variety to his diet by adding canned, raw, dehydrated raw and anything else I can find.

Good luck with your pup, listen to our advice and then go with your gut you know your dog and whats best for him.
This discussion has been closed.