Shiba sighting in Tustin

edited December 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
You ever buy something new (a new car, new electronic gadget, etc.) and get so enamored with it that you start looking around after your purchase and you start to realize how many people also have it?

I found this out with Ichi. Just when I went to go pick up my other half at the Tustin train station tonight, I saw a cream Shiba waiting at the rear of an SUV while a gentleman was packing her up (there's a few vet/vet hospitals nearby). Then after he picked her up, he had to make sure his B&T shiba would stay in. Both looked to be of adult size.

Either I didn't see it earlier, or I just didn't know, but there sure are plenty of shiba inu owners in Irvine and Tustin, either that or I've just had pretty good timing at seeing them.

Jesse

Comments

• edited November -1
    lol I think it's a psychological thing. I remember studying it but can't remember all the details ;) ~
  • edited November -1
    Hey Jesse

I find myself doing a double-take sometimes just to make sure I'm not seeing a shiba.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, it's a psychological thing. I know when I bought my expesive phone and noticed a lot of people had it. I also noticed a lot more Honda Elements when my best friend bought one. I also noticed a lot of dogs with the name "Ninja," but only met one other Akita. To tell you the truth, I kinda get angry when I see people with the same items as me lol.

-Joe
  • edited November -1
    It's totally true! When I started going out with my bf, it turns out his friends had shibas! We had a playdate with 2 other shibas just the other month with his friends. I thought I was the only unique one with a shiba! lol. At least they don't have a black and tan one!
  • edited November -1
    Jesse - Shiba's are very common in this area. Everytime I would stop in Petsmart or Petco, most people knew the breed and I would usually see another Shiba there. If you look when they are having obedience classes, there is at least 1 shiba in the group. It was really surprising to me too. Even when we go on walks in parks we sometimes see shibas. Since you go to Central Bark - I'm sure you see a lot of Shiba's there too. When we used to go, we would see a good amount of frequent shiba's there.
  • edited November -1
    Hey Romi,
    Surprisingly, I have only seen 2 Shiba's at Central Bark (not counting the other 3 that live in my apt complex). I have befriended the owner of a cream shiba and one of a B&T. But I have still to see any more Shibas other than Nobu, Ichi, and Delilah when we go on Saturdays.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    For those that live in the area (tustin/irvine) there's going to be a meet on the 28th at Central Bark with other shiba owners. I've never gone before but was considering it if i am in town. Will anyone be going to this event?
  • edited November -1
    I think we are part of the same shiba meetup group. I have never attended an event - due to Ninja's dog reactiveness...I hope to one day be able to attend a meet with Ninja.

Jesse - Have you ever seen Kosmo there? When we first got Ninja and were taking him, we would always see Kosmo and his parents there. He is such a social butterfly! His owners did 5 years of research on the Shiba before getting Kosmo! I thought that was super impressive! When we would go to central bark - the shiba's always were in the big dog section. We would go into the small dog section because Portia is small enough and she got intimidated with the bigger dogs and seemed to have more fun with the smaller dogs. We would go every thursday night around 730pm and we would always see shiba's there.
  • edited December 2008
    well crap, I was going on Friday nights hunting for them. Seems logical that Shiba owners would go Thursday nights because Wednesday is closed for cleaning:). I haven't seen Kosmo. I've only seen (B&T) Kaya and a (cream male) Miso.

I'm going to the Shiba Inu meet-up in Los Alamitos on the 21st. On the 28th, I'm "optional" on that because Ichi is having the following done in the next 4 days:

- blood panel (tomorrow)
    - neuter (Monday)
    - microchip (Monday)
    - dew-claw removal (Monday)
    - nail trimming (Monday)

Good thing I have 2 weeks off starting the 22nd, which is Ichi's D-day.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Another Miso? Thats cute.
  • edited November -1
    Hey Kristin,
    Many of us thought he was yours, but 1.) He was a cream shiba and 2.) I had to be reminded that you don't live around these parts :).

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Jesse - May I ask why you are getting the dew claws removed? That is one of the most painful post-op recoveries for a dog next to getting de-clawed or getting their ears cropped. If you wanted his dew claws removed - you should have had the breeder get it done when he was a very young puppy. To be honest, to have it done now would be torture. The healing process is long and very painful. I hope you think this through before going ahead with it.
  • edited November -1
    Romi,
    To be honest with you, dew claw removal was an assumption I thought all dog breeders did simply because I believed that it didn't facilitate a practical use to keep the dew claws beyond puppyhood. I was genuinely surprised he still had his dew claws when I got him. I thought long and hard about it and Ichi's dew claws don't make contact with the ground at all when we go out for our run. He uses them to grip his toys, but he'll also use them to grip our hands and forearms when we're holding toys or objects that he's reaching up to grab. I can't punish the dog for unknowingly hurting me or my partner (despite having his dew claws trimmed) during play.

They don't feel like they are attached to bone so, for me, leaving them on is just a ticking time bomb waiting to happen of him ripping them off somewhere else down the line (like doing Shiba 500's in my living room apt). At least this way, it'll be done while he's under anesthesia, which is a situation I want to take advantage of in terms of "major" surgeries. The less times I have to put him under anesthesia, the better.

And also, I'll be there for the next 2 weeks to make sure he recovers well. I'm not dilluting myself to thinking it'll be a great time to be had by all, but I do know that the short term pain he'll have to endure now will save him from further reactive pain when his dew claws draw blood from anyone other than me that he plays with.

Jesse
  • edited December 2008
    hmmm....Most of the Shibas I have fostered and my own dogs have never ripped their dewclaws. I can't image what they would be doing in the house that would cause them to rip off. Usually it is the larger breed dogs with floppy or double dewclaws that have trouble. I think it is a misconception that dewclaws are generally removed.

If the dewclaws are removed in many cases it is done to mill dogs because they do not want them to hang up on the wire cages or hutches or dig into other dogs when they pack many animals together. Also it is easier for a person to grab the dog in a cage without repercussions if the dewclaws are removed. The millers do not trim nails the dewclaw is the nail that will gouge them when moving small dogs from from pen to pen.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    I can understand why you want to get it done with the neuter...but im not quite sure i understand your reasoning for getting it done. If it isn't bothering him or causing him pain...why the removal? You should be traning him not to jump up at you, regardless of if he has dew claws or not. He shouldn't be doing anything to you that you aren't ok with. Removing his dew claws for a behavior that you have neglected to correct is unfair treatment, IMO. For example - if your puppy was very mouthy, what would you do? Take out all their teeth or teach them not to mouth you?

There really is no reason to remove them besides the fact of what MIGHT happen in the future, if anything ever will.
  • edited November -1
    FWIW, I think Romi is 100% correct. Unless there is a medical reason to remove the dew claws (like they are overgrown and causing infection), I think its an elective surgery that has zero benefit for Ichi. It may, however, have a benefit for you. You should ask who's interest you have in mind when making the decision to remove them. Why put Ichi through that when there is a safer and painless training alternative?
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for your opinions guys. I appreciate getting your different views.

Jesse
  • edited December 2008
    Taj only had one dewclaw removed as a pup, so I had the other one removed when she was spayed at 4 months of age. She was pretty painful afterward and my coworkers even suggested against it, it's like lopping your thumb off. She was so painful, I decided against having Kohji's removed at his neuter. Unless the vet can send your pup home with a Duragesic patch, I would just leave em.
  • edited November -1
    also for what its worth, i too agree with Romi. He's your dog and its your call, but having fostered dogs of many shapes, sizes and ages - there is a reason they have those claws and its part of the hassle of owning a dog to care for those claws.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah,
    I'm giving it some further thought and re-assessing with my vet to see if they are just loosely attached to skin, or connected to bone, or connected to ligaments.

Either way, grumpy attitude is exacerbated by not-so-great news received at work today. So I'll try my best to separate the two issues at hand and deal.

Thanks everyone for the personal anecdotes.
    Jesse
  • edited November -1
    www.meetup.com there a oc dog meetup group and there the shiba inu club of cali.

Im in Orange near 55 and 91 and go to dog parks all over OC area, Fullerton, Orange, Irvine. there alot of shiba inu owners in Orange County.
This discussion has been closed.