Hugging?

edited February 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Ok, is it common for a Shiba Inu to "hug" you as he walks by? Skippy will nonchalantly walk by you and then when he gets his hip area by you, he'll lean near and rub you. Is this common or does he some sort of allergy, etc.? When petting him on the back near hips and rear, he likes to turn and nibble us...not sure if he likes it or if he itches. He doesn't whine so I know it doesn't hurt. Just not sure about allergies? Or if this is just a trait of Skippy and he is showing affection.

Comments

• edited November -1
    My shiba and shikoku have both done that.
  • edited November -1
    Our kitsune does this - we have tried forEVER to get a good video of it, but to no avail.

So, our clips:
    This is what Kitsu sometimes does to our legs or our hair (if we lay on the floor)

not great video - but a better example:

Kitsu has no allergies or sensitivities to anything food or environmental that we know of.

this is what happens when we give scritches near his hips and above his tail:

• edited November -1
    Nemo loves to hip hug us. Most Shibas I know, when they get excited, or are happy to see someone, they perform this behavior.
  • edited November -1
    Videos are GREAT and thanks. Now I now it's just a way of Skippy showing his love. He does some great things with my husband in the AM. Skippy will jump on the bed while we're getting ready and crouch like he's going to pounce. My husband will come over and start rubbing his hands on the bed (he has rough skin). Skippy will then act like he's attacking the hands without biting but with mouth open and a crying voice. My husband says "mean dog" while doing this ALL in a playful way. They go on like this for a long period. Then my husband will switch to "playing the drums". Skippy will completely lie down and place his paws, left right left right............soooooo adorable!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Wow...mine doesn't do this to people. Ichi does this to carpet, and shrubbery, but never to humans or other dogs. I can tell he enjoys it because he's got a look of utter bliss on his face when he rubs himself against the shrubbery. I think the tactile stimulation is like crack to him.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    We call it a lean-by in our house. Jazz will lean on everything as she walks by.
  • edited November -1
    Like kitties :) ~
  • edited November -1
    When I scratch Sadie's butt near her tail, she does the same thing!
  • edited November -1
    My roommates husky does this all the time, should this be a cause for concern? My previous roommate's golden retriever also did this but Kelly doesn't do it at all so im wondering if its just a behavior thing.
  • edited November -1
    I also have a gold lab that "hugs" and a black lab that could care less. Sounds like it's just a behavior/personality trait.
  • edited November -1
    Kinda cat like?

My shiba does that. He'll also try to use his paws to trip you up from behind. he doesn't mind using my foot as a chair either. But considering what their hind quarters are like, I do not enjoy that trait at all. :(
  • edited November -1
    Jazz prefers not to sit directly on the floor. She prefers a blanket or a cushion or my foot.
  • edited November -1
    My Akita have done that too.
  • edited November -1
    Ebi does this to us all the time. We have always interpreted it as saying "hi! I want to be close!" :-)
This discussion has been closed.