heartworm prevention

Hey guys, question for you. What is the preferred method for heartworm prevention here? I just took my pup to the vet for her initial checkup (she is perfectly healthy!) and was told about the heartgaurd and the liquid drop kind they put on their neck. I was just wondering which is better? I think I like the kind they put on their skin better because its tick/flea and heartworm gaurd in one. I just don't like the idea of putting chemicals on her. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited November -1
    My dogs get the interceptor tablet monthly and in the summer they get topical flea/tick prevention. In the winter they get the interceptor tablet montly and no flea/tick treatment, just brewers yeast and garlic.
  • edited November -1
    I also use interceptor. Frontline for fleas and ticks will start this month.
  • edited November -1
    This was just discussed in detail here:
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3712

or this snazzy chart from Drs. Foster Smith:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=580&c=9547&;

We use interceptor
  • edited November -1
    We use interceptor once monthly for each pup. For flea/tick, we use frontline starting in march and ending in november.
  • edited November -1
    we use interceptor & frontline too, both are used monthly
  • edited March 2009
    Thank you. I went ahead and ordered some interceptor and frontline from DFS. So basically I should use the interceptor year round and the frontline just in the warmer months?
  • edited November -1
    Heartgard here, along with Frontline all year round. Also a collar to prevent leishmaniosis.
  • edited November -1
    Where are you located Mejinx?

Most of us that use the flea/tick on a seasonal basis are on the east coast. My mother who lives in California has to use Flea/Tick prevention year round.
  • edited November -1
    Also when i got back from the vet yesterday she sent me home with a free sample of heartgaurd. Should I start Namiko on that right away while I wait for the interceptor to come in? Doesnt she have to be tested first to be HW free before I can start the interceptor?

KFontaine04: I am located near chicago, IL

Thanks.
  • edited November -1
    Since you are in a "wintry" place you could just do the preventitive for the spring / summer months. We have never had a problem with only doing it during warmer months. I would suggest picking up some Brewers Yeast and Garlic tablets. I give them to my dogs year round and they help as well by making them tase "yucky" to pests.
  • edited November -1
    Theoretically, if the vet gave you a sample of heartguard, they should have first taken a blood sample to test for the parasite. They do this because if adult worms are present, using preventative when treatment is necessary hinders the progress of treatment.

Chances are since Namiko is so young (right?) she will not have adult heartworms (which take 7months to mature). Double check with your vet , though.
  • edited November -1
    Yes, she is 7.5 weeks old only, but she did not take a blood sample to test for them. I will call and ask, thank you.
  • edited November -1
    Just to understand why preventatives are needed in general, check this out:
    http://www.dolittler.com/2008/03/22/pet.vet.dog.cat.heartworm.veterinary.veterinarian.html
  • edited November -1
    thank you for the info tsukitsune :)
  • edited November -1
    We got a bunch of sample Heartguard treats (no medication in them, just samples) from the manufacturer to pass out to people that come in with their dogs. They don't have the medicine in them, but the company made some changes to the formula/taste of the treats so they gave Vet clinics the samples to use for taste testing, or just for good patient treaties. I am guessing that is what you were given for your pup because it doesn't sound right to give an individual dose without even doing any testing. Also the meds are sold in a 6 month supply anyways.
  • edited November -1
    We give our guys Frontline Plus beginning of the month, and Sentinel mid month. We don't use Frontline when it gets cold out, and only start using it when we see fleas on the animals.

Just cause they are sold in 6 month packages, doesn't mean that the vet distributes it like that. Our vet will sell you 1 month of any of the monthly med preventative (Frontline, heartguard, sentinel) as puppies can easily out grow the dosage.

I agree with Lindsay that it's probably just a sample treat, as it seems a bit careless to just give away meds and not very profitable for the vet.
  • edited November -1
    My vet also gave us a Heartguard sample to both Miso and Sake when we went in. They said it was the medicine and they pups should be started right away. They didn't do any testing either.

Our new vet tested both for heartworm before continuing their preventitive.
  • edited November -1
    Mabye in endemic areas it's just part of the routine practice to try and start all dogs and puppies on heartworm preventative without doing testing because it's presumed they will need it regardless? I wonder if it makes a difference about doing the test, if the dog is a puppy or not.
  • edited November -1
    Lindsay,
    The rescue that Henson is in is based in Missouri. They were shocked that I couldn't just go to petsmart and buy some heartguard, because they can down there, without an RX and bloodtest. I assume they assume they will need it regardless in a place where heartworm infection is a regular occurrence.

Up here in PA, its like p-u-l-l-i-n-g teeth to get your hands on it w/o a blood test or RX!!
  • edited November -1
    I can get it from Petsmart without an RX or Bloodtest (but I don't, I get it from the vet) here in MA too. My old vet gave us a Heartguard "Puppy Pack" that had the first dose and some coupons and info in it.

Our new vet switched us to interceptor because that is what she uses, so after their blood tests they got that.
  • edited November -1
    My vet told me that for pups under 6 months they just give it to them as a preventative and for those over 6 months a blood test is required first. I got my first Inteceptor from the vet but then I ordered a 3 month supply from Pet-meds. A RX is required but you give them your Vet's information and they do it over the phone. Mine was shipped the very next day. I only ordered 3 months because the weight is important for the dosage.

I also ordered the Frontline Plus.

Steve
  • edited November -1
    not sure what happened to my post!! I was saying that I use different things depending on where we are.. In FL we use Advantage Multi because there is a problem with fleas as well as mosquitoes. In CT we use Heartgaurd tablets and this year we'll have to get Preventic collars b/c the ticks are really bad this year :(.
    We did the initial vaccines as pups, but have been doing titers ever since. The Rabies vaccine is mandated by the states so you can't aviod it, but there is a test going on that will hoefully increase the span between Rabies shots... anyway, definitely keep your dog (and cats) on heartworm prevention as it is a NASTY thing to get. The disease is treatable in most cases, but it's horribly painful so you don't want to go there. Rachel
  • edited November -1
    Kirby gets Interceptor monthly.
  • edited November -1
    I'll be putting Kahlo on interceptor. The vet was adamant, not because of HW, but because we have young kids in the home who are susceptible to contracting worms.
  • edited November -1
    Interceptor is a good product, my shibas have never had any reactions, it covers more than heartguard and has less reactions listed (esp for an epileptic dog) while drug reactivity is higher.

And your vet is so right, almost everything the dog can carry around can be transmitted to humans. Bacteria, parasites... its a scary prospect!