Biden Puppy

edited April 2009 in General
Joe Biden bought a puppy from a kennel in PA called Wolf Den. Wolf Den got a lot of publicity. Which of course whipped up the anti-pet and anti-breed people, so the breeder claims she received death threats and had her operation inspected by the authorities in a way that suggested someone had leveraged the department of agriculture against her.

http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/14/biden-puppy-haunts-breeder/

The comments are interesting. There are people who really don't admit any distinction between reputable breeder and puppy mill. Personally, I'd like to see how big these people talked if you stuck 'em in a room full of responsibly-bred Shiba puppies. None for you, you have to go to the pound for YOUR puppy! :)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Some of us don't mind going to the pound for OUR puppy, even with responsibly-bred Shiba puppies available.
  • edited November -1
    I agree they need to point out what a reputable breeder is in the interview. Reputable breeders are open to AKC inspection as well so she should not be surprised at any type inspections if she is part of a responsible breeding program.

In this case I think what is missed is the fact in PA you have to have a kennel license if you have a certain number of animals. With that comes the fact that the state ie. USDA can inspect you twice in a year if they choose to. With all the publicity someone was asking questions about the kennel and probably when it was looked into it was found out that a review had not been done. So to cover tails the state did one. The breeder may have had some minor things that showed up on a standard check list. So fines may have been levied for operating without a license..... if she wanted to continue to operate she had to take care of hearing business first to address that which can be pricey after the fact in addition clearing up any citation issues.

She probably is not horrible horrible but got herself in a sticky wicket for not following state guidelines to begin with. I am not defending her but there are two sides and not all the facts are obvious sometimes.

About the hate mail and calls. There will always be some clueless wonder out there that is so passionate about their cause that they become derailed in their thinking and feel it is ok to threaten others.....which of course is entirely out of line.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    On our meetup board we had a woman who all but said you are killing a dog if you choose to get a dog from a breeder. It was all I could do to not be snide and suggest she lay on the guilt just a wee bit more. My response to her is the same as it would be for this article:

"....IMHO, responsiblity is looking at the very large picture of your own home/family and what are your strengths and limitations in bringing any dog into your home. All too often, I've seen people take in a shelter dog only to be completely un-prepared for the training/socialization requirements to re-habilitate the dog. In several cases, the dogs were returned to the shelter; causing further/un-necessary trauma. Still others often are shocked to see mounting vet bills as the dog begins to present with genetic health issues related to poor breeding. I'm all for rescues/shelters, but I'm also very much for people being realisitic in their expectations, abilities and comittment. Every dog deserves a home, every dog deserves love...every dog deserves an owner who is prepared for that specific dog; whether it be a puppy, a purebred, a mix, or a rescue."
  • edited November -1
    My question is why would a responsible breeder have 80 dogs on their property? That is a lot, even if the majority are retired.
  • edited November -1
    80 is a pretty high number w/out staff (which they don't say anything about). They also don't note if they are 80 adult dogs or how many might be puppies from litters. I wasn't real impressed with the reporting...too many holes.
  • edited November -1
    The story states that there are 80 adult dogs living on the property.

"They are just one grouping of the approximately 80 adult dogs that she says live on her property. "
  • edited November -1
    I noticed the number too. That is A LOT of dogs to be living with.
  • edited November -1
    yeah I missed that part about 80 dogs. That seems way high IMHO.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    I got a lot of the "why don't you just go to the pound and kill a bunch of puppies there when you get your fancy breeder puppy" trip from some of my friends when I started moving towards getting a dog.

Which was LAST YEAR. And I'll be lucky if I get a puppy from the breeder I have chosen this year.

And that's probably what I don't like about Biden's puppy story: the image of him deciding "hey, I'll make this pitstop in PA and get a dog." Then walking in, picking a dog himself, and leaving with it that same day. That dog will probably have a pretty good life, but not every dog that is obtained on what seems to be an urge is going to.
  • edited November -1
    http://vonbraunhaus.tripod.com/index.html

That's them, apparently.

It looks like she might do some boarding or something? The site says they offer obediance classes and have two indoor pools.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, 5 litters available...and 8 advertised stud males.
  • edited April 2009
    Oh brother talk about milking it. "Jo Biden approved" What a load of bunk is that.
    Figures....goes with the territory
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    Oh right, thats the breeder a town over from where I live. I remember hearing about this in the news MONTHS ago when he picked it up. I automatically heard puppymill ringing in my head. I almost wanted to know HOW 80 dogs can live in Spring City. Spring City is a 2-road run down town that has no room at all. :X I have friends who live in Spring City, and they have tiny houses squashed together.
  • edited April 2009
    I can only hope that Joe Biden found this breeder after careful consideration for the breed to best fit his needs, checking out her facility and then felt comfortable with her as a breeder.

While I have a personal philosophy that drives me to find and home an animal in need from a shelter or rescue or referral, I do believe that responsible/reputable breeders are needed to continue the health and welfare of the breeds. I do not believe that when you purchase a dog from a reputable breeder - with whom you have researched, feel comfortable with, build a working relationship with, who has checked you out as a perfect fit for that dog, and you know will take back your dog if every you cannot keep it - you kill one in the shelter. I do believe that purchasing a puppy from a pet store or commercial breeder (high volume, multiple breeds, etc) does kill a shelter dog, though, because it perpetuates the problem of pet overpopulation and mass euthanization in this country.

I hope Biden thought about that, though he probably didn't. I hope Obama realized that when he decided to publicly announce his intention to adopt a dog in need. Whether it seems ridiculous or not, they are public leaders and figures of whom many follow and some emulate. They set examples with each decision they make. I sure hope they realize that.
  • edited April 2009
    p.s. if you are interested,
    http://services.agriculture.state.pa.us/KennelInspections/SearchKennelInspections.aspx
    She had 98 dogs as of 3/09

They'll give you any inspection info. I'm sure other states have a similar check system.
  • edited November -1
    I don't know about that breeder...wayy too many litters of puppies available...looks a bit sketch to me…

I think getting a rescue dog is a great thing to do but I do think that doing ones homework and taking the time to go through a reputable breeder is also morally responsible.

In a perfect world, puppies would only come from reputable breeders who screen the potential buyers as much as they do the dogs and they're planning on breeding. My first dog came from a BYB because my family didn’t know any better at the time (not that that’s a good excuse, I know it was wrong). We were lucky in that she didn’t have any genetic issues or anything like that but getting her was just too easy. Walk into the peoples backyard, pay $100, and out we went with a new puppy. My family was absolutely committed and ready for a dog but I’m sure there are plenty of other families/people who just see an ad in the newspaper or see a cute dog in a pet shop and just “buy” them on an impulse which is why shelters/rescues are as full as they are.

This time around, I was dead set on finding a good breeder and it took me about 2 months to compile a (very short) list of breeders that I had read good things about and thought were on the up and up and another few weekends of driving for hours to go and visit them. Each visit, I felt like I was on a job interview and now, hopefully (fingers and toes crossed) I’ll have a puppy by July. If the entire pet industry was like this, yes, it would be much more difficult for people to get dogs but, it would be better for everyone involved. I don’t think its morally irresponsible to support these types of breeding/buyer screening practices.
  • edited April 2009
    Oh I see there is another thread about Obama dog....will bump to that....

Jen although high profile public figures have an obligation to be a good role model they often know as little about pets as the majority of the general public.
    Why the Obamas decided for a Portuguese water dog in the white house as a first time pet is beyond me (other than thinking it's allergy proof). I wonder what makes this animal and as a second hand off better for them as first time pet owners? A good rescue organization would have probably evaluated the situation better for them. (Yes sadly dogs are often given as gifts and handed out like candy in the political agenda of things and sadly some not so good things have happened to them regardless of high profile and paid for assistants.)

I would have to say the breed (PWD) is VERY high energy. Bonkers even without lots of stimulation.... Active dogs. I guess they will have a personal trainer and dog walker so they don't have to deal with all the chaos.

Here's a prelm about the breed. It is pretty accurate.
    http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/portuguesewaterdogs.html

I have seen only a few pass for assistance work until they are much older, once settled. It takes dedication to work with them and they are not small maintaining a perpetual puppy bounce for a long time, can drive one batty. Also propensity to bark a bit.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    I haven't read the article about this particular breeder, but I do remember reading a bunch of articles months ago when the topic of the first dog and the VPs dogs were in the media. Biden and his wife planned to get two dogs, one from a breeder and one from a shelter. Also, IIRC he and his wife had owned GSDs in the past, so the breed choice was not spur of the moment either.

Hopefully all the media attention surrounding Bo and Biden's breeder dog will shed light on the problem as it seems rescue/shelter advocates are being given a voice on the national stage. I guess only time will tell though.
  • edited November -1
    There was a 2 year old PWD in handling class last night, he tried to chase Ike around the ring whenever we crossed paths, and would suddenly leap into a run dragging the girl behind him while she's going "no chase, no chase!" I was thinking to myself, yes, a very dignified dog for the White House, what were they thinking?