I need a harness suggestion!

edited April 2009 in General
I've been using Lupine's Adjustable Harness for a while now, mostly because Kitsune had this fetish with chewing on his equipment when nervous, and Tsuki pulled like a maniac... having items that could be replaced for free was essential!

But they've both come a long way, thanks to clicker training and the easy walk harness, and I think we're ready to graduate.
I've started to notice hair on their chest/underside gets thin when they've been in their harness for a while, like after a few hours of hiking.

So I need something that is sturdy, but gentle at the same time. I want something that will hold up, something that can be used for both neighborhood/sidewalk walking and for rugged deep woods hiking.

I was thinking about Puppia original harnesses for both of them. I have no first hand experience with them, but I see a lot of people using them. Are they what I'm looking for??

Thanks!!

Comments

• edited November -1
    I love the Puppia harness - can't be beat personally. You can find them at the Pet Kitchen
  • edited November -1
    hmm. I absolutely love all the Ruffwear gear. Not sure if they'd be worth it, if Kitsu chews them, though. D: It gets a little costly ...
  • edited November -1
    I like the Ruffwear harness because I didn't want something that would (excessively) damage Ike's coat. There is a little padded strap in front and underneath. It seems to work Ok, but I try not to use it more than needed-for actual hiking.

You can buy custom leather harnesses, probably some out their with rolled straps as well. They do make custom harnesses for sighthounds with velvet or padded leather on the straps. I thought about that for Ike. I think the sharp edges on most straps which are nylon, or chain, will naturally shear the hair. A cotton harness may be less damaging, but I haven't tried one.
  • edited April 2009
    freaking double post again.
  • edited November -1
    thanks all!

So, now its between four things:
    1. A puppia, I'm still concerned with its title of "soft", that it wouldn't be sturdy enough. But if I do order, thanks for thepetkitchen.com suggestion, LJ!

2. A leather harness from rawdogleather.com, they do custom harness orders. I know of some shibas who have them, they look impressive, but might be more of a gamble ($$$). They almost look "too" sturdy..

3. Silverfoot has a small harness that has no belly/chest strap. I've never used one designed like that, so I'm slightly hesitant to order and find out its not what I'm looking for. Has anyone used one that looks like this?
    https://www.silverfoot.com/store.php?crn=254&rn=545&action=show_detail
    They also have a step in harness, but when Tsuki was younger (like 4-6months) I had one of these for her and she easily got out of it.

4. Not using a harness at all, mainly because Silverfoot has training collars (martingale with chain loop) on sale so I might just get them one of those and be done with it. Though, I'm not thrilled about using only a collar while hiking. Are Silverfoot products good? These collars for longer walks/hiking?

Thanks! I'm a total pain, but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for... I wonder if someone *cough*BnG*cough* has any ideas for custom harnesses? :)
  • edited November -1
    If you know anyone that makes tack for horses, they might be agle to design a smaller, finer leather strap for you than the heavey duty leather one in the pick above. That looks more geared for tracking, fighting or protection type stuff.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    You're so subtle Jen! :)

Ok my thoughts -

I love Puppia-style harnesses. They are extremely comfortable, breathable yet sturdy for most Shibas. If you go with these, go for a snug fit because it will stretch a little. They also have some less expensive versions that aren't Puppia brand but the same style. If you're going for comfort, these are the way to go. Also, they are spectacular for day-to-day use.

I've never used a leather harness or even seen one but they look kinda restrictive to me. Just my personal opinion.

The silverfoot harness looks like it would put more pressure around the pup's neck than a standard harness with shoulder and chest straps. I've never used one though so I could be way off the mark. I know Brad uses alot of Silverfoot so he might have used this style of harness before.

Forgoing the harness and just using a martingale collar could be sufficient for walks but like you mentioned, going for hikes is alot easier with a harness. There are so many smells and new things to check out that I'd feel more comfortable having more control than a simple martingale. :)

B&G specializes in truly custom harnesses, where you're in charge from the get-go (fabric choice, number of d-rings, tailored girth size, etc) however, the styles are limited to a standard adjustable harness and step-in harness. Both styles are sturdy and are available in cotton (which appeals to picky dogs who don't like being restricted by stiff nylon) and nylon (for pullers that may need more structure). Be aware that cotton harnesses will wear out eventually.

If you care more about a custom look, B&G or any other custom harness store will work (see etsy.com). If you're looking for a day-to-day harness, I recommend the Puppia-style. I walk Ryu and Roxy with B&G harnesses and with Puppia-style harnesses. They both do the trick.

I'm sure that didn't make your decision any easier but you asked for my input! LOL
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, Pam!
    I guess I am looking more into day-to-day, since they wear a harness for most neighborhood walks, and we really only hike every or every other Saturday, so I can still use their nylon ones for that and get softer harness for daily use. Thanks for that perspective! lol!

Has anyone heard of/used the Escape Artist Walking Harness? They almost remind me of a sled pulling harness?
    http://www.ultrapaws.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=403NB
  • edited November -1
    Ok I am lame who is B&G? I just grabbed a padded harness from AKC(Aspen) which is fine for kaeda as a puppy. However as an adult I want to get her a nice custom one.
  • edited November -1
    http://www.barkandgiggleboutique.com

Bark and Giggle Boutique :D
  • edited November -1
    Cool thanks - while Kaeda is quite female, her owner is not. So I dont think the floral pattern harness is going to work. I think a padded or rolled leather step-in harness would be cool though.
  • edited November -1
    I saw an escape artist harness on a wirey little Shiba teenage girl at a meetup. It looked sort of like suspenders/sled harness. There was no way that dog could shimmy out of that.
  • edited November -1
    Interesting! Thanks Lindsay!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    I also wanted to mention that Jesse found a really cool Puppia harness that looks custom. I think he searched on ebay. :)
  • edited November -1
    So, the word "soft" in the Puppia description shouldn't hamper my decision to get them, then? They hold up in daily walking, etc?
  • edited November -1
    Miso and Sake have had their puppia's for 6 months and they do stretch a bit, but have held up really well!
  • edited November -1
    Jazz wears hers almost 24/7 - we switch out to our B&G when we are headed someplace special.
  • edited November -1
    I had a Puppia harness for my puppy. It was a mistake. He chewed straight through it with ease. It lasted around a month. I wouldn't get one for a puppy at all. I might get him another one when he gets at least 2 years old though because it looked nice and is comfortable for him. Until he gets out of his chewing i just keep him in cheap walmart or petco harnesses. He has already chewed thru another one, an aspen collar and started to ruin another one. He doesn't need much time to ruin them either. He doesn't chew it while he is outside. He only does it if i don't take it off of him when he first comes in the house. Nothing is safe around him.
  • edited November -1
    I was like thisclose to ordering the puppias... then I thought about step in harnesses, like this one:
    https://www.silverfoot.com/store.php?crn=261&rn=624&action=show_detail

Is that better for a dog that gets nervous and pulls backwards?
  • edited November -1
    My sister uses that style for her schipperke...Make sure to get the nylon or soft fabrlic types, she has something thats like a hard pleather and it is just annoying.

It less affects the throat when the dog pulls as compared to the traditional walking harness. The schipperke doesn't try to slip out of the harness, but it feels that if you were to pick him up by the front strap of the harness, of which we don't do, that he would just fall out. I'm not sure if it is from the design of the harness, or the fact that it's adjusted pretty loose on him.

One thing that's good is that the leash would be hooked around two loops, one on each side of the clasp. This reduces strain on the clasp and, should the clasp break, the harness will still remain on the dog. Though it can be frustrating to hook up two loops on an excited dog.

If is easier to put this kind of harness on, especially if your dog doesn't like having straps pulled over the head. We were able the teach the schipperke to sit and lift each paw into it's respective place in the harness.

Anyways, just my input from what I've experienced.
  • edited November -1
    I have that step in harness, and for some reason my dog hates it, runs away when I try to put it on...maybe because I have to get up right in his face to put it on.
    Its pretty hard to get an excited dog's legs in the appropriate spots and then pull up to clasp it
    plus its tricky getting it to fit if he is sitting.
    But, it does very well if a dog is behind you and you want to pull him along forward...during those "why can't I go this way moments"
    I just bought a puppia because my pup doesn't mind having to put things over his head and it is faster to put on because he will stay absolutely still, haven't tried walking with it, we shall see...what size have most people bought for their shiba? I hope he doesn't grow out of it
  • edited November -1
    On the Puppia & bessie & Barnie Harnesses, I started out with an XL (by the sizing chart) - went down to a L and that does much better.
  • edited November -1
    So I tried the puppia, I just don't think its working. Its stretches too much, and the neck not being adjustable. I just can't get into them.

I'm looking for a harness that is
    a. secure
    b. adjustable
    c. made with a sturdy material, but is softer than straight nylon on the chest/arm pit area of my dogs. They seem to rub from long wear or slight pulling and cause the hair to look flattened or lessened

Any thoughts? I'm considering the hemp/fleece from Planet Dog
    http://www.planetdog.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=HEMP HARNESSES
  • edited November -1
    Two thumbs up as I mentioned in the other thread. :)

If you get the orange and apple green, Kitsu and Tsuki can be Mookie and Penny's twins.