Breed Hype

edited May 2009 in General
I've been thinking about this and then seeing it being discussed in Rui's thread made me get off my butt and actually type it up lol.

When asked about your nihon ken and other dogs, how much do you hype the breed up to dissuade the average dog owner? Do you bother finding out how dedicated they are first or does everyone get the same treatment?

I really have issues with breeders hyping up their breed to the extreme, finding out what kind of animal owner I am and then giving me the good side, not necessary the realistic side. Though they're probably doing it for the good of the breed, I find it hard to trust someone who just gave me 2-3 absolute answers to 1 question. Yes, they're all truthful answers, I don't doubt that part and they can all happen but I just hate how absolute the answer is when given with no room to explain different scenarios. It's "yes, ALL chihuahuas will bite your ankles no matter the training, socialization, etc" and then it's "chihuahuas will NEVER bite your ankles no matter the training, socialization, etc". Am I the only one having this issue?

Comments

• edited November -1
    I (at minimum) triple the tougher stuff do deal with on a shiba. A person will tell me yes they want to exercise the dog, but their idea is 15 minutes in the morning and evening. That's not going to cut it with a shiba.
  • edited November -1
    Being a computer scientist, I have honed my presentation adaption skills over the years. I have a bunch of different answers for when people ask me what I do. Sometimes I say I work with computers. Other times I'm a computer scientist. Other times I tell them Artificial Intelligence. Etc. I have learned to ask one or two informative questions before I tell people what I do because there are so many levels at which to describe it and the vast majority of people out there wouldn't understand and probably wouldn't care even if they did.

I use a similar approach when people ask me about my dogs. Depending on the situation and what I gauge their interest level to be, I'll provide more or less detail. If I want to dissuade someone, I generally won't hype the breed, I will just be dismissive of their questions and only answer in generalities. If I feel like they might be a good owner, I'll provide all the gory details of day-to-day life with my Shibas.
  • edited November -1
    This is a tough one for me... I like Dave have tried to size up the person asking before deciding on my answer. We had it down to a science. If they said "fox", we'd say "Japanese hunting breed" and let them turn to google. If they said "husky" we'd say "Shiba", b/c if they know husky, shibas really aren't that far off. If they said "shina ebo" I'd tell them the NYCSR website. If they said "Shiba Inu" and "I've been looking into them" I'd really start a conversation.

But then, before Tsuki came into my life and turned everything I knew about dog ownership upside down, I was your 'average dog owner'. Before Tsuki, I had chihuahuas (who do not bite ankles!) and a rat terrier and a very lazy basset hound. I had NO idea what I was in for with Tsuki, regardless of the info I read online or the handful of shibas I met at a meetup. A 3.5 month old shiba pup will definitely mold you!
    So I almost feel, well, wrong, for assuming that someone who is asking these questions about my dogs just can't handle the truth or meet the ownership 'requirements', because maybe if you had all met me 2 years ago, you wouldn't have thought I'd be up for it!

But I am now. I feel like I was molded into a good dog owner, not just a shiba person, but a good dog owner... others can be to. Yet I still size people up before I answer the questions, but I try to give everyone a fair assessment of what Dave called the gory details to protect the breed as much as possible :)
  • edited May 2009
    To the people that say "what a pretty Husky" I say nothing. To the ones that actually ask the breed, I say Akita Inu and leave it at that.

Actually, a couple of months ago, a guy phoned me to ask me about Kuma and Akitas. He got my number from the Portuguese Kennel Club, apparently. I tried to tell him the truth about having an Akita, since they were interested, trying to make him and his family see that it's not a dog that can be handled as a Lab, for example. I told him we could meet, if they wanted and we did, and they saw Kuma. The meeting served, at least, the purpose of making them see that getting one from the "breeders" here isn't a good option, and why they should look for a good breeder.
  • edited November -1
    If someone tells me "oh what an ANGEL" I say "yeah that's what he LOOKS like" and then they usually don't ask anymore questions LOL
    If they say "is that a husky puppy?" I say "Shiba inu" "A WHAT?!" -> "Japanese hunting breed". If they are walking a puppy and are interested in getting another one, meaning a shiba puppy, I usually say "Do you REALLY want two puppies, especially one of them being a Shiba?" If people have had previous dogs and seem like they're up for the shiba challenge, I tell them all about it and where not to get a puppy from and where to look for one instead such as several shiba inu rescues.
  • edited November -1
    I usually don't do any of the hype stuff when people ask about our dogs. If they ask what breed they are, I just tell them... Then they usually say "huh?". and I say (in the case of our Nihonken) "they are a rare Japanese hunting breed".

If they ask more questions I usually only go into the history of the breed and their origin and don't bother talking about the temperament. If a person asks me specifically what their temperament is like, I usually tell them that most of the Japanese breeds are uniquely difficult in one way or another and that they are not a breed for everyone. If they ask for detail I give it.

The exception to the rule is Masha. When she goes into petsmart or whatever she is so good and people are so stoked to hang out with her. When they start to ask questions about the breed I tell them she is a "guardian breed" and "we are here to socialize her so she can grow to be a good canine citizen"... usually they will ask what I mean, and so I say something like "Caucasian Mountain Dogs, if not produced from a solid breeding program and/or not socialized properly, can be a very large liability, most can't be walked in petsmart like Masha can - she is an exceptional example of the breed".

People usually will go "oh, ok" and walk away at that point. I do this because, IMHO, a CO requires a much more skilled and educated owner than our other breeds. The liability of owning a CO is much higher than with a Shikoku, Kai, Shiba, or even Akita.

----
  • edited May 2009
    Nope I don't hype the breed....Yes, like Dave and Jen, I gauge the inquiries and reply accordingly. It’s tough to discern the level of knowledge sometimes. I always take a look at how people behave and interact with the dogs also. “Hype” is a two way street.

There are some folks who are certainly interested and parrot everything they have picked up or read (sometimes very inaccurately). I find that very annoying. Many self-proclaimed experts usually are trying prove how much they know, sometimes in a one-upmanship rather than being who they are (i.e. it’s more about them and not the dog).

Sadly many people become angry when a shelter, breeder, rescue etc does not consider a potential owner’s “expertise”, personality, or situation suitable for a particular pet. In many cases they take it as a personal insult since they feel they parroted or demonstrated their knowledge so well.

I tell people, breed decisions and pet ownership are really about looking into your personal situation and looking at the needs of the individual animal and specific breed characteristics as a whole. There are times in ones life that an animal/breed need will not fit in well for one reason on another. Some people do not or are not able to see that at times. Needs and wants are not weighed appropriately. (yeah, I know I am preaching to the choir here).

Anyway, in rescue I would give more slack to someone who is admittedly a novice dog owner that listens, takes the commitment seriously, is willing learn, and has done some homework for sure. I always indicate how important training is for the dogs. I think more people are receptive to that idea these days.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    I actually find it really annoying when people are confrontational and in-your-face about breeds. It seems like you can't so much as ask about a breed before someone's jumping down your throat trying to convince you that you're too incompetent or lazy to possibly own one.

Now, I know that some people act like this because they've run into a number of people who get dogs without really thinking of the work involved, but you should at least give someone the benefit of the doubt. If someone asks me about my dogs, I just tell them the truth. The truth will sound awesome to some and horrible to others, which just goes to show that no breed is for everyone.
  • edited November -1
    hondru your statement reminded me of a discussion on another forum. Poster 1 was asking how they can convince their parents to get a shiba, and Poster 2 gave a list of the shiba characteristics. Poster 1 asked is there anything good that Poster 2 can put down, as apparently everything poster 2 had listed are bad traits. Poster 2 replies that even though Poster 1 sees these as being bad, Poster 2 finds these traits as being good.
  • edited November -1
    When people ask me about my Shiba's I give this answer...

"They are a Japanese hunting breed, they will chase birds, squirels, anything that runs, they will run away from you in half a second, they are stubborn, independent, insane, crazy puppys, they get bored and need lots of stimulation and they will love you like no other dog has before. I am lucky enough to be owned by two."
  • edited November -1
    Passerby: "Those dogs are supposed to be really smart!"

Sarah (strapped to a tree thanks to LaikaTrio's Code Orange Squirrel Alert): "Which dogs? Where?"

Passerby: "Border Collies!"

Sarah: "Sir, these aren't Border Collies and we claim no 'intelligence' whatsoever associated with that breed!"

Passerby: "Are those Akitas?"

Sarah: "No. Thank you for putting put them in the right FCI group, though."

OR "Yes" (if that means that the passerbys will leave me alone...sometimes I want to be left alone...the Akitas do a have a reputation that I will unapologetically take advantage of, whereas noone knows what a Laika is! If they knew, they would think it was WORSE! LOL)

I've had ONE person ask me if they are KBDs (and also asked permission to pet them before diving in). I felt like giving them a Gold Star.

(I do my best to educate about the breed, but the Trio attracts alot of attention and sometimes I just want to hike.)
  • edited November -1
    LaikaTrio's Code Orange Squirrel Alert-lol
  • edited May 2009
    It depends. I get a lot of attention with both my breeds. Usually people just have some nice compliments and ask what breed or if they are a mix:
    - "You have beautiful dogs."
    - "That's a cool looking dog!"
    - "What's it called?"

Sometimes (depending on who's asking) I'll be very reserved about certain information. Once you get me started though, I don't shut up. I'll start offering information. You have to be pretty dog savy or at a dog event for me to be like this. I've been greeted by random people on the street, asking me how much a Shikoku cost. Um, yeah...I totally downplay it all. Oh they don't cost very much. Rare? Oh no...they're just not very popular these days. They're just scattered about, it's a pretty BIG world we live in. Besides, people are more into pocket dogs nowadays or their Labs, probably why. -stranger looks kinda intimidating, tosses Lynx out- So, yeah...it's a Japanese hunting dog. What? Oh this...this is a Malinois, these are POLICE dogs. With people I'm leery of, I sometimes feel guilty throwing the Shikoku name out. Sometimes I "slip" though. Usually I just tell them "Japanese hunting dog". If it's not enough they'll ask for the breed name.

Now...under normal and less threating circumstances, I'm pretty outwardly open and inviting about my breeds. If someone is interested in a family pet, I usually push the Shikoku as opposed to the Malinois. Malinois carry too much of a liability, you have to be an experienced owner. I would not recommend them to a family with small children. However, a Shikoku...sure, they'd make an excellent pet to a family with small children. I tend to talk ALOT of people out of getting a Malinois (I make them up to be like such horrible, horrible creatures, lol). If they want a Shikoku, I tell them exactly how the breed is - no hype or belittling.

Yeah...so it depends on the crowd in question.

Just for kicks...which would you like in your home?

This?

Or this?
  • edited November -1
    I don't worry too much about telling people the word "shikoku" because they usually can't remember it two seconds after I've said it, lol.
  • edited November -1
    See Corina, I think it's the wrong way to go. If you really want to talk someone out of getting a malinois I think you can do it without painting a bad picture. I mean, you can't tell me that they're horrible and then tell me you have a whole breeding program full of them lol. It's just not believable. If I came to you asking about possibly getting a malinois I would prefer if you educate me about the breed and help me come to my own conclusion that yes, I should not get one because I have a child. Trying to talk me out of it will just annoy me and I'll just go to someone else who is willing to sell me a malinois, which will defeat your purpose. (Ok, I probably wont go to someone else willing to sell me one but I would go to someone else who will educate me on the breed)
  • edited May 2009
    =(^-,^`)= Sorry. The Malinois pretty much do intrigue or deter people themselves, lol. I never actually discourage them by telling them so. I just make prospective owners aware of the activity levels and needs of a Malinois. If owners do not meet the certain needs of a Malinois, they can get out of control. I usually just emphaze their off the chart energy levels. This is a breed that needs constant physical and mental sitimulation. Or they'll make up their own games. A lot of which are actually pretty entertaining and creative but sometimes can be distructive (but hey, dogs will be dogs). And even though they might have some amusing games, it is not always by owner-approval -grins-.

I may not recommend a Mali to someone with a small child, but that doesn't mean that they can't co-exist and get along well with each other. Just as with any dog, you have to establish "rules" they must abide by. A lot of things can happen by accident, especially where a small child is concerned. The Malinois, without meaning too, could knock down or injure the kid. They aren't exactly a careful breed by nature, they can be VERY reckless. Just something people should be aware of. Malinois can be GREAT dogs in the right hands. And yes, they DO have their "down times", they can relax and be lazy. There IS an off-button, lol.

I'm not too far from the truth though when I say they're "horrible" creatures -smirks-.

Especially Malinois puppies:

People need to know what they're getting into if they want a Mali. I guess one can't truely understand and grasp the concept of Malinois being horrible creatures who also are excellent dogs unless you live with one.

Again, Malinois are hyper active dogs. However, my version of "hype" on the breed is just focusing on the more higher driven dogs. Not every Mal is like this. There are Malinois of every kind, some even who have low drive. These low driven dogs would probably do well as an active family pet. It's just I see many good Malinois out there being dumped into the rescue system or worse. It's usually because the dogs are "too much" to handle. If someone is serious about wanting and getting a Malinois, they'll ask more questions. I don't withhold any information on the breed. I may not always offer, but if they ask...I'll answer them straight forward.

They're awesome dogs, they're just not a dog for everyone.
  • edited May 2009
    I liked the part at :48.
  • edited November -1
    Holy crap! That was 8 weeks? Is that typical for a pup bred for high drive to work (poor mommy dog's nipples, shit!) Impressive :)
  • aykayk
    edited May 2009
    Here's one stunning Malinois video demonstrating high energy. Takes place in China.

• edited November -1
    IMHO it is always bade to answer what MOST of the breed is like. Not the exceptions.

Most Akita-Inu are very prey driven.
    Most Akita-Inu are very independent.
    Most Akita-Inu have very little true desire to please their owners.
    Most Akita-Inu do not pay much attention to name recall while off leash.
    Most Akta-Inu are very smart. They will figure our your routine and then figure out how to get what they want from you.
    Most Akita-Inu are very loyal and have difficulty transferring ownership.
    Most Akita-Inu are whisper quiet.
    Most Akita-Inu are not destructve in the home.

Are there exceptions ? Sure but it is best not to focus on the atypical IMHO.
  • edited November -1
    That list fits Jiro and Kinu!
  • edited November -1
    Oh yeah, Malinois come out of the womb biting, lol. Some pups may develop at a later time, but generally as early as 4 weeks of age they should be able to bite and hold onto practically anything. That's why they are also known as Maligators. They earned that nickname for a reason!
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, it is imprtant to note that there are no guarantees, you're just hedging your bets. You have to allow yourself a certain amount of flexibility for individual dogs. Unless you adopt an adult, then you pretty much know what you're getting.