Kai vs. Shikoku

Hi Brad -

My wife and I are in the market for our first dog together and are trying to decide between getting a Kai now or stay on a waitlist for a shikoku. We have been reading extensively on both breeds - on this forum as well as everywhere else on the internet we could find. I'm trying to figure out the main differences, if any, other than color that would set the two breeds apart to help up make our decision.
As the founder of this site and an owner of both breeds, i figured you would be a great person to ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Jon

Comments

• edited November -1
    Hi Jon!

I'm happy to help, tho your question is hard to answer...

There are pretty big personality differences between the 2 breeds, as well as some physical differences. I know on the surface all the Nihonken seem similar, but once you live with a variety, you can tell they are really very different breeds. While at the same time, generally speaking, they are also very very similar.

It really depends on the lines as to the personality you will get in Shikoku. As for Kai, there is really only one bloodline in North America, so the temperament is very similar from Kai to Kai in North America (generally speaking).

A lower-drive Shikoku will be the easiest choice, I would recommend that you ask your Shikoku breeder for the less outgoing puppy, that will give you a lower-drive pup - since this is your first dog, that's the way to go. Katja's lines will be lower-drive than Peggy's lines.

Ahi, our first Shikoku, is one of the most high-drive Shikoku I have met (and I have met the majority of the Shikoku in North America). Ahi was crazy hard to deal with as a pup (and still is) while Loa is much lower-drive and really has been very easy. They both require a huge amount of exercise and socialization tho - keep that in mind.

As for Kai, I love Kai. They are really amazing dogs but they are a difficult breed - more difficult than Shikoku. Kai will protect you and your property and they have some molosser-like traits - things you would expect from a guardian breed and not a hunting breed. Because of this they require more socialization than Shikoku (tho both breeds require a LOT of socialization). Kai are also not very willing to please, less than Shikoku. Kai also tend to bond VERY strongly with one person, and they will defend that person with their life - no questions asked... With Shikoku, their gaurding abilities are hit or miss (I dunno if you care about the dog's ability to guard or not).

If you are an outdoorsy person, a Kai will be unmatched as an outdoor partner, they are rugged, alert, and strong dogs.

Kai require just as much exercise as Shikoku - both breeds are prone to high anxiety if not exercised appropriately. This can lead to some really bad behaviors. Shikoku NEVER run out of energy.

Be very picky on who you buy a Kai from, the breed has been hurt by poor breeding practices all over the world except the mountains of Japan. The Shikoku is still relatively safe, and the breeders breeding them in North America are very respectable.

In October I am headed to Japan to bring in some new Kai Ken lines - North America is in dire need of new Kai ken lines. All the Kai ken in America can be traced back to just 2 males and 3 females - all with inbred lineages. It's crazy. Having said that, the breed is not grossly inbred like some breeds, their ROI is like 3% - 6%... the Caucasian Mountain Dog's ROI is like 15% (yikes!).

Hope that helps.

----
  • edited November -1
    Brad -

THANKS! That was very helpful. After talking it over with the wife, we are definitely going to wait for a shikoku then. They seem like amazing dogs and are well worth the wait. I hear there are a bunch of girls out there, shibas, shikokus, and kais, who have skipped heat. Something in the air? the weather? the economy?

Looks like your kennel is ramping up too. GOOD LUCK! Glad you're bringing in new lines for the Kai, sounds like they're much needed. Any news on your first breedings?

Thanks again, i appreciate it.