New Shikoku owner saying hello!

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around here for the past couple of weeks and decided to follow Chris' lead and introduce myself. My husband Jonathan and I are soon becoming Shikoku owners - we're getting one of the girls from Katja's just-born litter (I'd post the picture but Jessica beat me to it!) We are traveling to BC from Florida in mid-April to pick her up and can't wait - it has been almost four years since we first made the decision to add a Shikoku to our menagerie!

I've been enjoying reading through the posts on this forum while we wait, and especially all of the stories and pictures of your beautiful dogs. I will try to return the favor with updates about our new girl Kit (Kitsune) starting soon! Looking forward to talking with you all....

Diana

Comments

• edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum Diana and Jonathan!  Congrats on your new Shikoku girl.  Im so jealous!  Please don't hesitate to post up pics and stories about your new pup, we love it!  
  • edited November -1

Hi Diana! Welcome to the forum!

You will be so please with your Shikoku from Katja. We have two from her and they are great! You an Jessica will be able to share all the Shikoku puppy stories with us - I'm stoked!

• edited November -1

Me too.  Congratulations!

• edited November -1

Congratulations! I am sure that you will really enjoy your Shikoku!

That was a long wait, but at least you are almost there! They are a really neat breed.

• edited November -1
    Yay! I will have one of Kitsune's sisters!!! I was hoping some of Himiko's litter mates would show up on here. That way we can compare notes!
  • edited November -1
    Welcome and congratulations!
  • edited November -1

Hi, and welcom to the board from one new person to another.  I hope you enjoy your time in B.C. and the new addition to your family.

• edited November -1
    Welcome!! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your babies. I just LOVE puppies.
  • edited November -1
    And one more warm welcome from a hoping-to-some-day-own-a-shikoku person. Don't hesitate to spam us with pictures and stories, we love them all!
  • edited November -1

Oh we loveth the Photo and Story spams. They are the best!

=(^-^)= Welcome, both the the forums and to the Shikoku Ken breed. I guarantee, they will "steal" your heart. They are such characters.

Best of luck to you on your journey to B.C. -wink- It is so awesome there. If you happen to jet by Nanaimo, stop by The Lighthouse and enjoy a Salmon Sandwhich, it's SO GOOD!!!

• edited November -1

Mm, salmon sandwich. I will definitely check that out!

I have a quick question for all the Shikoku owners here. We are planning to bring Kitsune home on board the flight with us - can anyone give me the approximate weight and dimensions of an 8 week old Shikoku girl puppy? From what I understand, she should be small enough to travel carry-on, but I'd like to have a better idea of size to double-check with the airline...

So we are off to BC to pick up Kitsune in approximately one month. It is starting to seem real. We are bracing for the chaos of having a new puppy in the house but are incredibly excited... Fortunately, we'll be done with classes (my husband and I are college profs) right after we come back with Kit, so we'll be able to spend lots of time with her in the first few weeks - can't wait! 

• edited November -1

Ahi was 8.2lb and Loa was 7.45lb... so I would guess 7 - 8lb since they are a mike/yana breeding. (Loa is a mike off-spring and Ahi is a yana off-spring)

I'm sure you guys are so stoked! Keep us updated... with pics! :c)

• edited November -1
    What are the hassles customs wise with exporting a dog from Canada to the US via plane? I assume health certificate but anything else?
  • edited November -1
    I would assume there would be a quarantine process as well.
  • edited November -1
    well that i know of there's no quarantine process of bringing animals to and from canada via car. my friend who lives in canada uses a vet in the us because it cheaper than the vets around her.
  • edited November -1

You just need a puppy passport, health certificate and proof of vaccinations. The USA may require that the dogs have the rabies vac. on export to the USA from some countries, but I don't think CAN is one of them.

Other than that it is the usual hassles of dealing with the customs agents, sometimes they want you to pay tax sometimes they don't and they always make a big deal out of everything... you know it's the usual bureaucratic customs crap.

• edited November -1

I'm sure Katja would know what to do then?

No one ever checked my health certificate when I traveled state to state. They didn't check to see if I only had one cat in there either and no one checked to see if I paid to bring the cat on board. For all they knew I was bringing three litters of 3 day old kitties on board that I didn't even pay for.