Hachiko A Dog's Story

edited August 2009 in Akita (秋田犬)
In many places I've heard about people who are very scared of the effect of the Hachiko-movie. Correct me if I'm wrong but the movie is released in the US and Japan now, right?

So have you who lives there seen any kind of starting effect yet?

Comments

• edited November -1
    To be honest, I've not yet seen ANY trailer for this movie. I assume (and yes I know assume = ass of u and me) that if it is a 'big hit' that we will see the effects of this movie on the dog population of America. It's not due for release here until December, so we still have quite a few months for the hype to build up.
  • edited November -1
    its out in japan but will only be out in the US in dec i think
    i was planning on catching it today but it doesnt play in English in the cinemas arnd me
  • edited November -1
    I forgot this movie was being made. I just watched a trailor of it. It is very possible that we will see a side effect of it. It sure wont help that they got Richard Gere to play the main role. I just thouht about the possiblity of an indirect side effect. People will see the cute fluffy Akita pup but will be deterred by how big they get. What will people find that closely resembles an Akita puppy just smaller...our little Shiba.
  • edited November -1
    Jennifer - the Akita pup (carried in his pack) was actually played by a Shiba too... hopefully that's not mainstream knowledge, but we'll see.
  • edited November -1
    i know when 101 dalmations was released over here in the uk that breed rescues saw a dramatic increase in the number of dogs people asked them to rehome for a few years. many pet owners saw the increase in popularity as an easy way to make money so many poor quality puppies where produced. i'm hoping we don't see this effect with this film, with limited amounts of inus over here its more likely to be the american akita (or the shiba) that is effected if it does, although i know of a number of breeders that will still produce tweenies, unregistered of course who will no doubt hope it as a beneficial effect on sales and their bank accounts. i guess we can only hope that the current credit crunch will put people off buying puppies. needless to say if they don't it will more than likely be the poor dogs that suffer with rescues having to pick up the pieces.
  • edited November -1
    It stinks how an amazing story like that about a loyal dog can be twisted by some people and end up hurting animals in the long run.
  • edited November -1
    Well, we'll just have to be extra careful about screening people that come asking for puppies (those on here that intend to breed ) or refer people to breeders and make sure to give them the best info. We should all begin rehearsing our "Hachiko release statements": "Yes, I know my dog is similar to one of the breeds portrayed in the Hachiko movie. Yes, it does look like a fox/wolf. If you are really interested in the breed, you should do your research first because they can be very challenging to live with, etc etc. For more info visit nihonken.org"
  • edited November -1
    When '101 Dalmatians' (both the cartoon and live action version) came out, it got so popular that lots of people bought the dog and realized that a dalmatian is no lab.

When 'Finding Nemo' came out, parents were either buying their kids clown fish so that they could have their very own Nemo, or they discovering that kids seriously believed that a toilet is a great place to set their fishies free.

When 'Air-Bud' first came out, there was a small increase in Goldens but not super much since a lot of people already had one and their easy going personality kept the majority out of shelters.

I didn't hear much about people getting labs cause of 'Marley and Me', but I think that's cause the ending was very saddening and the whole of the story showed more of what dog ownership can really be like as apposed to those fantasy Lassie beliefs. In that story there are the goods and bads, and that what a lot of these movies that encourage people to buy the breed is missing.

Heck, I bet if penguins were easier to get, practically every parent would be buying one for their kid after that year of penguin movies ('March of the Penguins', 'Happy Feet', 'Surfs Up', and that one making fun of March of the Penguins that i can't remember the name to)

I seriously believe that once this movie comes out, there is going to be a hike in akita purchases (especially from petstores since hey will try to 'overstock' in preparation for the hype), even if it's all only the AA, people will buy them. Even though this is based off a true story, it still gives off that Lassie belief (undying loyalty) that most ignorant people will feel is the greatest thing and think that nothing could go wrong.

Actually, even though I'm ecstatic to watch a movie with a JA in it, I kind of wish that the people making the movie would have a desire to replace the breed with a more 'popular' breed (like a lab or something) with the idea that more people would go to it since it stars their chosen dog breed.
  • edited November -1
    it was farce of the penguins. bob sagat did the voice over, hysterical.
  • edited November -1
    was there a run on Dogues de Bordeaux after Turner and Hooch? that's a big loyal dog that not everybody should own.
    How about huskies after Snow Dogs and eight below?

I am not sure it happens as much to adult dogs on screen as puppies (101 dalmatians is 99% puppies- wait what's 99% of 101?)
    and small dogs- purse dogs. Things that seem easy and less sheddy. convenient and cute. I know people are idiots and this can happen, but I should think it wouldnt be as bad if the dogs aren't convenient. I think shibas are in greater danger than akitas of this happening. Who's marketing this movie, anyway?
  • edited November -1
    They actually used shiba pups in the movie not akita pups. Obviously the adult Akita was an Akita, but the pups were Shibas. We were contacted by the trainer to use a litter we had at the time but ours were too young. We were kind of disappointed. Two breeder friends of mine both had their pups in the movie. They decided to use Shiba pups because for the most part they all look very similar and they had pups of different ages at different times in the movie. I guess easier than finding red akita pups of various ages!
    I also though the movie was originally to be out early this year but was pushed back due to another dog movie or two being put out at the same time.
    We are looking forward to its release.
    Phil
  • edited November -1
    I bet some 'know it all' kid is gonna see an image of an akita puppy (doesn't matter which type) and go "that's not an akita puppy, that's an akita puppy" and points to a shiba inu
  • edited August 2009
    This is one of the pups:
    http://www.sunshineshibas.com/sunsineshiba%20dogs.htm

I can see some are already profitting from the movie...
  • edited November -1
    The sad thing is that the akita and shiba breeds are the ones that will suffer the consequences of this movie. The akita and shiba have already gone thru the fad breeding in the 80s.This movie may start that horrible time again.
  • edited November -1
    Just watching the trailers for this and the 1987 one - I think it really loses something not taking place in Japan.
  • edited November -1
    I no what you mean. The 87 movie is great and it made me cry first time that i saw it. There a video on youtube that to me captures the meaning of the movie

• edited November -1
    I just watched that one, too, and I was sitting here (luckily alone!) bawling. This remake just seems like the Hollywood Sad Dog Formula movie. It seems like it would fit better if cast a more common breed if they were going to have it take place here and put familiar actors in it. The fact that they didnt just remake it in Illinois with a beagle emphasizes the akita breed for these loyal qualities. Now I DO worry about akitas. (Atta girl, Full circle, Chrystal! Full Circle...)
  • edited November -1
    Let's hope we dont see a Tweenie explosion from this. If I remember correctly the dogs used as Hoachiko are tweenies.
  • edited November -1
    I wonder if the regulations currently in place regarding Akita ownership (insurance obstacles, condo agreements, etc.), will help curb any "explosion" buying that may occur. In the other movies, those dogs did not come with regulations - we never ran into problems with our dalmations, nor did our friends. I believe the same could be said of the others. I agree this could put the Shiba in the public eye more than many would like. However, we could always look for an upside... Perhaps people will start to look a bit more favorably on the Akita, and we will get to hear less "keep that mean monster away" comments. Anyway, here's to hoping!
  • edited November -1
    Brad you took the words right out of my mouth. Tweenies will be exploding all over the states when this movie comes out.
  • edited November -1
    I just watched that, that was awesome. Why was it remade again? No good reason comes to mind.
  • edited November -1
    Sean and Brad - I hope we won't be seeing an explosion in Akitas, not just the mixes. I don't know if the dogs that play Hachiko are mixed or not, but I do know they are Akita. I don't think the public that will possibly want to ride the popularity wave will care much about the mixing, but I'm sure they will crave an Akita. Mixed or not, the dogs that will come out of this will most likely come from mills and people in it for the profit and odds are not in their favour if they start their lives like that.

I really hope none of it happens, but I don't think people will resist. Sadly, the Akita is very likely to suffer a major blow.
  • edited November -1
    Leonberger,
    A mixed dog isn't an Akita, it's a mutt. Not saying don't love them just dont pretend they are what they clearly are not.
  • edited November -1
    Brad, as far as I know, in America, AA and JA are the same breed. So a mix between them isn't a mutt.
    Like it or not, it's a fact.
  • edited November -1
    They are registered as the same breed in error by the AKC. As a JA enthusiast I do not consider America to be the final say so on the breed. In 99% of the world the breeds are two and distinct.
  • edited November -1
    I'm not saying I consider America to be the final say on the breed either.
    I'm saying that, by error or not, it is a fact that they belong to the same breed, in America, and so the two types can be bred together, producing Akita and not mutts.
  • edited November -1
    Please keep the discussion to thoughts about the movie...these breed arguments have nothing to do it.
  • edited November -1
    The AKC considers the AA and the JA to be the same breed just different types. AA/JA blends are considered purebreds in the US. The only way the breed split is going to occur is when the ACA (Akita club of America) votes to split them. And anyway didn't the FCI split the Akita's by looks ? http://www.akitahistory.netfirms.com/split_reports/990600BA.htm

Leonberger is right tho.. The akita breed is probably going to suffer from the popularity wave.
  • edited November -1
    As stated above we would like to keep this thread dedicated to the film. If you would like to discuss the division of the breeds, you are welcome to open a new thread.
  • edited November -1
    Even with all the hype and potential rise in puppy purchases, I am still excited to see this movie when it comes out and am planning on watching it with some of my friends who already know the story. It is great watching your fave breed on the big screen (even if it's supposed to represent the puppy of another breed)