Advanced Training (SAR/Agility)

edited August 2009 in Behavior & Training
My question: Has anyone on the forum done agility or search and rescue training with their Nihon Ken?

I have trained a Shiba very well to basic commands as well as off-leash and to trail commands and etiquette, but I have no experience with more advanced types. For those of you who have worked with the Nihon Ken - and particularly Shikoku, do you have any comments or insights?

Comments

• edited November -1
    I will let you know next month [please remind me, I may forget!].

I'm planning on starting Agility classes with my Shikoku, Shoushuu.

Just for kicks this past Wednesday...I started him over a jump. He did it, but honestly, I don't think he was really paying attention.

Me: Shoushuu! HUP! -I keep blocking him everytime he tries to go around-
    Shoushuu: Hmmm...I can't walk through it. Not allowed to walk around it. -hops over-
    Me: Shoushuuuuuuuu, HUP!
    Shoushuu: -stares at the jump for a moment and then decides to hop over-
    Me: Shoooouuuushuuuu, HUP!
    Shoushuu: -walks to the jump and hops over-
    Me: GOOD BOY! -praises dog because he won't eat a treat or play with a toy- Shoushuuuuu, HUP!
    Shoushuu: -hops over-
    Me: What a GOOD BOY! That's my boy!
    Shoushuu: -has no clue as to why I'm shouting at him in a happy high pitched voice-
  • edited November -1
    I know a few people here in Japan that have their Kai SAR certified.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Corina...I will ask again in a month. Good luck, I hope it goes well. I'll be really interested in what you have to say.

Walrus: Thanks for that info. It is good to know that they are working in those areas.
  • edited November -1
    I have done a beginner agility class with my male Shiba. We took the spring/summer/fall off since its been so hot.
    He's a natural, and it helps his confidence I believe.

I've considered SAR, and I think shikoku owner Heidi (hondru) has looked into it in Canada.
  • edited November -1
    Nice Corina! Definitely keep us informed.

I am very interested in learning more about Nihon-Ken and SAR as well.
  • edited November -1
    I do Obedience with Beebe the Shiba at the Open/beginner Utility level (on a good day-indoors), and Novice on a bad day outdoors. I'm trying for her CD, but I honestly don't care, she enjoys Agility 100x more. The focus issues are the biggest obstacles to proceeding in any sort of meaningful trial.

We have been in Agility classes for about 3-4 months and it is totally worth it (haven't done any trials yet-next summer maybe). Seriously, give it a try. I've been taking all the dogs that have come my way these last few months to Agility classes, and they all enjoyed it, they all picked it up extremely fast, and it helped all of them with confidence/paying attention/obedience, etc. I signed Ike up for a weekend seminar next month, and I am really curious to see if that brings out a little more spontenaity (sp) from him.

Beebe's next higher learning experience will be with Rally-O in October, it's supposed to be more fun that Obedience and not as amped up as Agility, so we will see. Pretty much though, I'm just a novice myself and learning as I go, but it's been fun so far.

My Shibas don't like people enough to want to go search for or rescue any, including me ;)
  • edited November -1
    "My Shibas don't like people enough to want to go search for or rescue any, including me ;)" -
    Lol Lindsay!