Hachiko A Dog's Story

2»

Comments

• edited November -1
    wow, that clip was really sad.
  • edited November -1
    I refuse to watch any sad movies that involve animals. I always end up crying. I cried watching Bolt!

I do hope that this doesn't lead to an explosion of people buying Akitas though.
  • edited November -1
    I cried watching Bolt too! Never saw Old Yeller... I think it's for the best.
  • edited November -1
    I cry like a little bitch in animal movies. It's horrible. No matter what happy or sad I start tearing up.

joe
  • edited November -1
    Me too!!! I don't even have the guts to watch Marley and Me. It's been sitting on my coffee table for two weeks.
  • edited November -1
    I cried while reading Marley & Me, sobbed while watching it. If I watch Hachiko (at home on a free rental), I'll cry then, too. I'm not one who cries very much, but I think because I have had such close bonds to my dogs - those kind of movies just kill me.
  • edited November -1
    Like the OP stated -I am very scared about the effect this movie is going to have in the states. Akita breeding is going to rise and we will be seeing a lot of breeders taking advantage to make a quick $$$. My only hope is that Richard Gere and Jason Alexander can scare enough people away from watching it. (Sort of a joke...kinda-sortof)
  • edited November -1
    OP, lol.

It's like OG.
  • edited September 2009
    To the movie credit though....at the end...the very end....there is a message about owning Akitas and that they require work etc. There was an internet link etc also. Unfortunately, I was glazed already from watching the credits go by I only caught it as it was leaving the screen. Good movie though, was very sad and happy. I won't tell you one JP groups theory on why the dog stayed, it will ruin the majesty of the story for you. I choked up at the end...almost lost it in the theatre, but held on.

Bolt choked me up too. Thing that sucks about movie theatres....you can't bring your big lug with you to hug when it gets to the sad parts. Atleast during Bolt Mu and Sasuke were close at hand.
  • edited September 2009
    OK sorry late jumping on the bandwagon..

Bolt I cried at the theatre..I was like, why the F am I crying? it's disney, he won't die...but reminded me of my old dog and I couldn't stop.

Got Spuds, saw Marley and Me within the 1st week of getting her.....hubby and I cried our eyes out and Spuds must have thought we were nuts.

For my Bday in July, my bro got me "Mari and the 3 puppies" from Japan for me, my request. Even though it was in Japanese, it's a simple enough story you get what's going on...and we CRIED like no tomorrow, and at one point Spuds dubbed for us LOL..the shiba in the movie had a cuter bark, and Spuds said, "oh no you didn't!, I'll show you how it's done!" Mari was a hit in Asia, and it created a mad shiba breeding frenzy...and subsequent abandoment of shibas that didn't sell.

Hopefully, the Akita movie will do more good than harm, and give the breed a better reputation. I think due to it's size and breed restrictions, there won't be that many people running out and getting one, or at least I hope!
    Gere in the moving will defintietly bring it more attention, but hopefully just the older more sensible crowd.
  • edited November -1
    I cry just reading about Hachiko so watching a film, be it original or remake, is not going to end well.

I cried like a baby watching and reading Marley And Me. John thought I'd cracked.
  • edited November -1
    In Poland we are also very scared of the effect of this film.. After "Snow Dogs" and "Eight Below" we have many, many huskies and malamuts. and their blue eyes are known by everyone.. I meet aggressive huskies, fat or even very fat huskies, huskies on chain, many huskies mixes.. most of these huskies don’t have pedigree..

We already have too many litters, too many akitas, more and more of them are in dog pounds :/ some young, some beautiful, some with pedigree, but most without look for new homes.. There are more and more pseudo kennels, more and more litters without pedigree, more and more people, who “breed” akitas know almost nothing about them :/

We saw what was happened with huskies after movies.. and akita is not for everyone.. their characters are more difficult, more aggressive :/ it will be a disaster..
  • MnVMnV
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, we love the Japanese Akita movie.

It warns against owning a pet unless you're committed all the way through.

It also tells the beautiful story of a man and a dog that not a lot of people can understand.

We're afraid the new Hachiko movie gonna flood the market with Akitas that are going be to be neglected by uninformed fanciers.
  • edited November -1
    Those of us who own Shibas and have been involved with Shiba rescue are also concerned about this movie. The younger Hachiko is played by Shiba puppies. I think the two US national breed clubs (Akita, Shiba) may be trying to work on a joint approach to this movie.
  • edited November -1
    My kids will be excited to see this movie. Yes, they BEGGED for a Pongo dog when the movie came out, thankfully I knew that breed was too big for me. My parents bought a siberian husky after Iron Will, if you recall that movie. Of course our Shiba fell into my arms, literally. We've now spent a ton of time researching them and preparing for potential breed issues AND he isn't our first dog, so we have a good idea of what we are about to grow through (o;

My three kids, 10-12-14, myself and my husband went to see Marley and me. We ALL cried like babies and we DON'T cry over movies. My sleeves were soaked with tears, we were all puffy eyed. Bring tissues, but WATCH IT!!!!! It was a good movie portraying some of the real pitfalls of dog ownership, and the kids want a copy for Christmas.

Of course, when my Shelty passed this spring, I was so devestated I dcouldn't eat, couldn't walk my favorite walks, lost 20 lbs in a week and a half and had to be put on valium (I also had blown my L5 disk, and had a laminectomy, so constant heart wrenching sobbing, not goooood.... I am "only" 33) I didn't feel such pain when I lost my grandmother a month before, or anyone I've loved for that matter. Losing my Riley was beyond pain. I'm able to look at what a good life we had together now, and enjoy his memory, but it took me some time, and an accidental Shiba who snuggles up next to me at night like a little cuddle bug. I see folks saying Shiba's are independant, but Brody (I finally named him) follows me around, brings me balls to throw, cuddles with me at night wonderfully, comes when I whistle, has learned sit, lay down, roll over (with the over the shoulder treat trick), Jump up, and speak. He is a treasure, and his b-day was just June 30th, smartest pup I've ever met. In fact, he is sitting at my feet with a rope ball begging for fun right now, (though we've been out for 1/2 an hour and played fetch inside for another 1/2. I LOVE this dog) Better indulge him!

~Rebecca
  • edited November -1
    My friend in Japan, her father does TV & Film work with his dogs and his client's dogs. This always is a concern for my friend when big movies come out with a specific dog breed.

I think after Eight Below...Japanese ownership of Huskies increased. And then Beverly Hills Chihuahua...and there already is a kind of "fad" with pocket dogs and carrying them around as accessories...just makes it all that more easy to get a Chi. Japan probably won't be affected by this movie (unlikely to see a dramatic increase), as they should know Akita and it's too large of a dog. You're right though, everywhere else we might see an increase in Akita as common household pets.

This is also a concern for me too though, when people want to use my Shikoku in movies. I don't mind, but I don't want to provoke demands because of some Hollywood film. "Hollywood" is always looking for "new" faces, this is NO different amongst our Animal TV & Film Industry...human or other...they always want something new.

I'm really glad that they have an ending credit about Akita and how they're not for everyone. I think there should be a movie website specifically for the education of whatever animal(s) were used if they're a main part of that movie. So that people don't make a mistake of getting one and then deciding later it was the wrong choice. Very sad. Though, some dogs may acutally find happy and loving homes and it may actually have been the best decision (so it CAN be a thing)...but not always. Those are generally people who do research and not impulse buys on an animal breed they're not familar with.

I'm kinda disappointed that they weren't Japanese actors, but still I'm looking forward to the movie. It looks like it'll be good none the less.
  • edited November -1
    I got teary eyed just watching the preview. It looks like a very touching film. I actually had already heard about this story when I went on a vacation to Japan in 2008. (Corina- I agree) I really wish they could have filmed it in Japan with Japanese actors. Its just not quite as believable to me with it staring Richard Gere, but I'm sure I'll cry a bunch anyways while watching it.
  • edited November -1
    I watched the Japanese version last night and was BAWLLING through out the movie. It was so sad :( At first I thought it wasn't going to be that good of a movie but after the initial set up the plot thing goes by, it was soo goooood.