Adopted Abused Akita

edited October 2009 in Akita (秋田犬)
Hi, I'm new here. I'm looking for a place to learn how to help my Akita, Kylee. I recently adopted her. She was badly abused. They had to shave her due to matting & she had surgery to remove her collar because she was tied to a tree in the backyard for a very long time. She is a real sweetheart, loves to cuddle but she has some fears that I'm working on. Her main problem right now is that she hasn't had any training at all. When I try to train her if I say the word "no' or "leave it" ect. she goes into panic mode, shakes, cringes, cries, it's awful to watch. I am now trying to use different words. Instead of "no" I'm using "uhh,uhh", she seems to be coming around slowly but I think she's going to have to learn at her own pace, I'm fine with that. She is about 2 yrs old. I'm going to jump around & read some of the threads. I look forward to meeting you!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Welcome.
    First thank you for rescuing, and from the sounds of it being patient and kind. Truly the two most helpful things you can do for Kylee. everything else will come, slowly, but it will happen.
    You have been promoted to member and are now free to post wherever you like in the forum. We look forward to your future contributions.
  • edited November -1
    Thank you, it looks like I'm in the right place.
  • edited November -1
    Welcome, you really have come to the right place.

Thanks for resucing Kylee! I'm sure she appreciates it more than she can express.
  • edited November -1
    I have a question, not sure where to post it so.. Wondering if it's a normal Akita behavior, Kylee's favorite thing to do is to sit next to us (or on top of us) and she puts either our thumb or one of our fingers in her mouth & sucks on it like a baby would do. I have never seen a dog do this. My last dog was an Akita mix but he didn't suck on our fingers. It's not a problem that she does it I'm just trying to figure out her issues so that I can help her without turning her into a neurotic mess :-)
  • edited November -1
    Welcome to the Forum!!

It's a great thing that you have put your heart out to a rescue, many thanks for giving this pretty girl a second chance and a new, happy beginning.
  • edited November -1
    Welcome!
  • edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum!

The thumb sucking thing could be a calming behavior. Some dogs lick or nibble obsessively as it supposedly releases endorphins and makes them feel good. Then again, Akita are known to be mouthy. As long as she isn't obsessive about it I wouldn't worry too much.
  • edited October 2009
    When I first rescued Ki (not an akita but still adopted as an adult) he would just have to have something in his mouth as a comfort mechanism to deal with stress. He wouldn't suck but he would chew or work the object around in his mouth depending on what it was. Sometimes he would grab my arm and not bite but just mouth and press down gently (not gently enough though...he's not a little guy) with his teeth repeatedly. This was something that stopped both with time and redirection. He's still a chewer but only of appropriate items and not obsessively or in any seemingly stressed out/anxious way like before.

Knowing that this is a source of comfort for your dog, perhaps you can reward a training session with baby carrots or ice cubes or other treat items that work well with that sort of attention. Otherwise, things like filled kongs and the like may give Kylee something more appropriate than fingers to explore before she goes for fingers if it's something you wanted to prevent/move her away from. As it is, it sounds rather endearing but I would understand if certain guests didn't think so. lol

Thank you so much for rescuing. Look forward to seeing more of your adventures in life and training. :)
  • edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on having the generosity to adopt an abused adult into your home. Keep being patient with her, give her good experiences and she'll come around. She seems to already love you.
  • edited November -1
    Welcome to the pack! ~
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the welcome & tips, I really feel more relaxed since I found this forum. I'm sick to death of how people react when they find out I adopted an Akita. I wanted to enroll us in obedience classes because I thought it would be good on many levels. Unfortunately, when they find out she's an Akita I'm told we're not welcome in class. I've been told that an Akita is a dangerous breed & an abused Akita is a time bomb. To those people, I say, you don't deserve to be around my princess!
    We're making very good progress on our own. She's been with us for under 3 weeks & so far she has learned, sit, shake, down, stay (OK, so she knows the WORD stay we're still working on putting it into action :-) ). Teaching her when it's not OK to bark seems to be the hard one. We have a church next door & elementary school across the street. She thinks it's her job to tell me whenever she she's kids fighting (playing) on the playground or somebody walking down the street or.. well you get the picture, she's diligent. She's doing very well learning to walk on a loose leash & she seems to enjoy seeing other dogs with the exception of a large off leash Shepard which came running up to us, his tail was wagging & he looked happy but before he could reach me my lil princess turned into cujo, we're working on it :-). Actually, I expected that it would take her 3 months or so to settle in with us but she seems quite happy here. We don't have kids so it's just me & hubby. He fell instantly in love with her too but I think he's a little jealous because she's like my shadow. I think it's because I'm the one training her & she'll bond with him as time goes by.
    Sorry this is so long. It's just REALLY good to have people that understand this precious dog.
  • edited November -1
    That's sad that an obedience place won't let her in class because of her breed and history, that's too mean and ignorant of them. It's great that you're working with her and training her, keep it up and you'll show the ignorant people how great a rescue akita can become.

But remember, don't listen to the bad things these people say, she is your pup now and you know her better than any of them ever will.
  • edited November -1
    I understand your feelings about people judging her by her breed only. I have worked with rescued pitbulls much of my adult life. I have had plenty of people cross streets when I am walk by, or grab their children to protect them from my monsters. A good dog trainer would be well aware of the fact that akitas are wonderful dogs, that are very devoted to their owners, and filled with love. So this training school did you a favor. Clearly they know nothing about dogs.

I know that someone who judges me or my dogs on appearance only, is not worth knowing. And certainly not deserving of the privilege meeting us!

When I contact a vet, or trainer, the first thing I ask them is how they feel about pit bulls. If I don't get a resounding "I LOVE pit bulls! They are the best!" they have no business getting my business.

One day maybe we will live in a world where both dogs, and humans will be judges on the quality of their character and actions, and not appearances and myth.
  • edited November -1
    Welcome. And thank so much for rescuing. It sounds like Kylee is incredibly lucky to have found you.

I do not have much advice for you on her rehabilitation, but I know that the two of you will figure it out.
  • edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum Kylee is a beautiful looking Akita I'm sorry those training places were like that it's sad that the Akita have such a bad rap due to horrible owners who abused them or didn't socialized or care enough to train them.

It sounds like Kylee is in good hands and I'm sure things will get better at the weeks go by it has to be hard for her to be chained up like that, but that's all in the past what matters now is she's with you and your husband who love her so much.

Please post if you need any help with anything I don't have any experience with Akita or rescues, but I'll try to help in any way I can and I'm sure others will help too.
  • edited November -1
    I think I set us back today. I took Kylee for a walk and she would not stop pulling. She's been doing really well on the leash but not today. I'm afraid I let myself get aggravated & I raised my voice, she hit the ground. She layed there shaking & whining, I felt awful. I probably should have let my hubby take her today because I knew this round of chemo was effecting me more but that's no excuse! Well, we'll start fresh tomorrow. More cuddles for now.
  • edited November -1
    That's the right attitude- start fresh! Setbacks happen. Feel them their due, but then let em go. ITs not that you dont KNOW the cause, its just hard to be perfect all the time, you'll both do better next time. If you need to go to a no pull type harness or collar to allow her to remember to stop pullling (I am thinking harness due to her embedded collar history?) without your having to speak that can work when you just need a walk on a bad day and dont have time or patience to train during that walk. But it's just a stopgap= for the most part, work on reinforcing auto checkins and loose leash walking daily. The tool doesn't do the job the relationship does, and that's what you are building. Good luck and good work with Kylee, and welcome to the Forum!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks, I have been thinking about a harness. Any suggestions? I looked at them but there's so many different kinds to choose from. I've never used a harness on any of my dogs but I do think it would be more comfortable for Kylees neck.
  • edited November -1
    premier easywalk is really kind of the gold standard.
  • edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum!

I cannot add anything else, everyone has already gave great advice. Just take is slow and make it positive - super positive. Kylee is lucky to have you, I think you will find that Akita love is a powerful thing!

----
  • edited November -1
    Your set-back during your walk... it's hard. I know the feeling, but no one is perfect, we all get frustrated - and dogs do too. Just have to start back again the next day, that is all you can do.

Oh, I do have a tip...

Turkey flavored Natural Balance, buy a tube and cut it into little cubes (like 1/2 bite size) and use it as treats. The Turkey version works the best as it stays cubed forever. Keep it refrigerated (freeze the extras). I dunno what it is about that stuff but our dog FREAKING LOVE IT. I mean they are CRAZY about it. Our 4 Akita will do anything for a Natural Balance cube - same for our COs (and the rest of our dogs).

That may help with training, treats are great but there is something special about Natural Balance. we learned about using Natural Balance as treats from Jean Donaldson, she swears by it as well.

----
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the treat tip, I'll try it. That has been a problem because Kylee will eat her food but when it comes to training she's really not into treats, she always thinks she'll miss something. I don't give her any 'people' food & haven't found dog treats that motivate her. Sending the hubby to the store right now :-)
  • edited November -1
    I;d also suggest if you DO get an EasyWalk harness to do what Jessica does and use a short coupler to clip to both the harness and leash- one of my dogs can squirm backwards out of most harnesses if he feels the crap has hit the fan, and his definition of "emergency" is much more liberal than mine- that way you are primarily using the harness but have a fail safe clip to a flat collar just in case.

If treats seem boring on walks, assess the situation to see if you can catch her being good sooner, before she is too distracted. For some dogs the present stimuli (another dog, squirrel, choose your favorite) is far more important than a treat at the moment. I second the rolls Brad mentions- its healthy dog food, not garbage treats, and you can control the shape and size you use for treats. I also use rolls for walky treats.
  • edited November -1
    The rescue or shelter you adopted from may have some suggestions about possible trainers.

I don't know where you live, but you may want to search the Internet and look for Akita clubs or "meeutps" in your area. If there is one, it could be a resource for you.
  • edited November -1
    The place that I adopted her from basically said that she just rescues them & it's up to me to problem solve. At least she rescues them!
  • edited November -1
    yay! I wondered if you'd visit the forum or not (I'm Claire, who messaged you, from Friends Of Akita on my partners account johnnym59). I see that everyones been really helpful, I hope things are going well. I'm sorry I didn't greet you over here, I've been away with work in London and have only just got home.

How is she doing now?
  • edited November -1
    Welcome to the group....Awesome that you have adopted! It will take time and it sounds like you are off to a wonderful start. Building self confidence is the key task. Only work when you feel well and can end all sessions on a positive note.

All the advice above is excellent. Double ditto on what Jessica stated, you don't need a trainer who can not except diversity, plain and simple.

As far as dog to dog interactions that is where you will need a management plan I think from the sounds of it. If your dog was chained or had bad experiences and not socialized with other pets it will be much much less tolerant of other animals.

There are some great resources on the forum...so good luck and happy reading.
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    Hi Claire,
    Thanks for sending me here, I love it! Kylee is doing really well. We're making progress. I think some things will take time. Last night my hubby picked up his golf club to putt in the living room ( don't ask) anyway, when Kylee saw the golf club she freaked out big time, she started shaking, whining, crying, then she tried to get under the bed. It was very sad to watch her deal with her demons. Her freak outs seem to be happening less now so I'm hoping time will teach her that she will always be safe with us. I've never had a dog that likes to cuddle as much as she does, we're a perfect match. I bought her a harness as was suggested by these wonderful people, in the long run I think it will be good to keep from hurting her sore neck but right now she's not very happy when she sees me get it out. Hopefully before long she will associate the harness with a walk & stop worrying about it. There I go again, rambling. I just love getting good advice to help my princess! Thanks a bunch!!
  • edited November -1
    I'm happy to hear she found a home that understands her and will work her through this.

Congrats on your new princess!

Give her some time, she should pull through and bond closely to you :) .
  • edited November -1
    Hi and welcome!

Nice to read about how you rescued the akita. Too bad many people are saying an Akita is dangerous breed. Is that common in the US? I have never heard about anything like that here in Sweden.