New Shiba (to me) with aggression question

2»

Comments

• edited November -1
    Roxy is really protective when someone comes into the house and she doesn't see them come in, she also doesn't like attention being taken away from her, our neighbors have a chocolate lab and the first time they met she growled and snarled at him but then we took her over to our neighbors house to meet the lab hoping they'd do better and they got along great, I think they need to be introduced to them or know whats going on or they are protective.
  • edited August 2008
    Andrew
    THANK YOU for posting the link from Suzanne Clothier at Flying Dog Press. Seriously, I feel like sending a copy of that out via mass-mailing!

Few things upset the Laika Trio more than being approached by a rambuctious ill-mannered off-leash dog when they are on-leash. The daft oblivious owners are always 50 yards away shouting something inane like "come!" or "he's friendly!". I'm sorry but approaching us with no evidence of hesitation or tact is NOT FRIENDLY.
    Besides...it DOESN'T MATTER because mine aren't! These large lugs are always surprised to be pinned to the ground by a 30 lb Tuli tactical muzzle grip.

Actually mine are quite reasonable, but they are not going to tolerate rudeness.

No offense, but your neighbor is a complete twit for just waltzing your house with two dogs in tow! She is quite lucky. I would not even want to imagine the scene if someone tried that at my house. (BTW, we have doggie guests often. Introductions are made on-leash outdoors. We all come in together and mine are unleashed one at a time. All toys are put away. They are fine though female StaffyBull Terrier and female Laika were not a good mix!)

You should not pin your dog when she feels threatened. (Refer to StaticNFuzz post above) All she wants is for the other dog to GO AWAY. When you correct her harshly, all her fears are being confirmed...strange approaching dogs are clearly not to be trusted and my handler turns into a lunatic and tackles me!
    I would also steer clear of any doggie day care facilities. Would totally stress her out at this stage and not all of the employees know what they are doing in my opinion. Could completely backfire.

Basically you are on the right track in that you need to increase her trust and her confidence. When dogs are approaching start handing out treats. Teach her to sit and "watch" when they are close by. Teach her this by holding a treat next to your nose. Do this when noone is around first and then gradually introduce distractions. Eventually you will be able to have her look up at you when you are walking. This does two things: It has her associate approaching dogs with good things and it puts her in a position (sitting and watching) that is incompatable with barking, lunging, snapping. Keep the leash LOOSE. Don't abuse her trust by then allowing another dog to perform an overzealous crotch check.

She sounds like a completely normal Shiba to me, though don't expect the rest of the dog-owning public to "get it"! Based on your description, she sounds reactive, but not aggressive.
    I must do all of the above regularly when I am out with the LaikaTrio. And yes, I still give them treats intermittently. You gotta realize, that with the Spitz, they need a paycheck. They aren't going to do things just because you told them to, or just because they like you.

If you control her dog-dog interactions more, it will take some of the pressure off her. Find some suitable tactful dogs that she seems to get along well with, and set up individual play-dates with them.

Watch Victoria Stilwell ("It's Me or the Dog") instead of Ceasar.

have fun! Sounds like she's a great addition to your family.
  • edited November -1
    oh i just got into that show "its me or the dog"
  • edited November -1
    Andrew,

I just read the "he just wants to say hi". What an outstanding article! I wish I'd read it sooner. Makes me feel bad about how I reacted to Mochi's initial reactions. Since she's been with me now for almost two months the bond between us has increased and I can interpret her discomfort with "rude" dogs better. We have had no more outbursts as I've been able to intercede and Mochi has begun to trust that I will take care of her.

She is such a fantastic dog. My two boys have bonded with her so deeply that they get upset if they don't see her for a few days. They worry more about saying good morning to her than me :-) The personality of this little fox is amazing. She is smarter than any other animal I've had the privilege to be around. And she just doesn't take any sh*t from anyone or anything. I am firmly in the club of "Those who worship the Shiba".
  • edited November -1
    Alex - "It's me or the Dog" is the best! I watch it religiously! I wish they'd come out with some new episodes already though, I've seen this season at least 3 times. :o ~
This discussion has been closed.