Tobyshiba's Art Thread - 5/11

Comments

• edited November -1
    WOW!!
  • edited November -1
    I think that's your best by far Steph!~
  • edited November -1
    That's cool! We were talking at church today about envy - I brought up that the one thing that I probably do envy is artistic talent. I can paint.....provided it's by the numbers or a wall. I can draw....letters on a line. If it has a pattern, I might can do it - I'm just not talented in that way. I am always awed by artists and the beauty they create - whether drawing, painting, sculpting, etc - it must be so cool to be able to generate it.

Well done!
  • edited November -1
    Another great drawing!
  • edited November -1
    Photobucket

I didn't have much of a life this weekend ...

Heres an art trade I did with someone on a Lion King fanart website. :)
    Took me over 3 hours to colour. D;

But, fun, either way. I totally love it! :D
  • edited November -1
    Actually, anyone is fully capable of becoming an artist. :) It does take years of patience and hard work. My work from .. say ... 3-4 years ago cannot even begin to compare to my art now.

Heres a drawing I did in 2006;
    Photobucket

And heres one I did in ... 2004;
    Photobucket
  • edited November -1
    the bottom one reminds me of a kougra from neopets
  • edited November -1
    I love the colors and brightness of the last one.
  • edited November -1
    I don't think just anyone came become an artist, unless you consider welding a pile of metal together art. You've got some real talent, don't sell yourself short. :-P
  • edited September 2008
    Heres a tutorial I did for a piece I drew and coloured tonight. :)

I know this is just the images and nothing else -- but I scanned this a million times while I was working on this picture -- which took me about 3 hours with Prismacolours. I might as well show the process. :) The whole image took about 3 hours and 30 minutes to complete, all in one sitting.

The sketch. Very quick. I did a gesture sketch of the pose first, then fleshed it in, cleaned it up ... and fixed up the sketchyness of my linework in photoshop. This is how I start all of my art.

Once its cleaned, I print it out onto white card stock. Thick, heavy paper which is rather nice to work with.

So then I choose my colour palette. For this piece, I used 15 colours.

I start off with my shadows.

I take an opposite colour of the base colour. My base colour is Sand. The opposite I chose for this was Process Red -- a pinkish/magenta sort of colour. I start off by doing all the shadows in my Process Red colour; where all the Sand base will end up.

Next, I add a light layer of the Sand ontop of the Process Red. This is not final.

I get a feel for how the colours mesh together. ( Since i've never used this colour combo of prismas, I was experimenting a little ).

I continued onto do more of the body and the red stripe on his face.

The stripe's colours consisted of Process Red, Scarlet Lake, Pumkin Orange, Mulberry, Canary Yellow, Black Cherry, Peacock Blue, and Jasmine. Yes, all those colours went into the red parts of the piece.

Next, I started the white sections of the stomach/maw on Mafuriko.

The colours I used in the shadows on the maw and stomach were Beige Sienna, Chesnut, Putty Beige, Peacock Blue, and Process Red. I also included White into the stomach, because I did get a little too dark. I only used white to tone down the colours, NOT TO BLEND.

At this time, I also did the eyes on him. The way I do the eyes is to start with the darkest colour, outline the iris, and around the pupil. Make a circle around the highlight, and then take my two lighter colours, and blend them together. For this, I used Scarlet Lake as my dark colour, Salmon Pink and Canary Yellow as the highlights on the eye.

Here I added more Sand into the image, and finished off the body. More highlights were added.
    I also started the shading on the stomach, the white part with some peacock blue. :)

Front paw white part done here.

The tail completed with the same colours as the stripe, and you can see the Process Red being used in the hair, that was the first layer ( of many ) on the hair.

And the final version. It might look lighter than the images above, I scanned the last two differently and toned them down. :D

Total drawing time: about 5 minutes
    Total colouring time: 3 hours and 6 minutes
    *Also note -- NO black was used in this at all!
  • edited November -1
    That's awesome Steph! Thanks! :D [ btw; you should so compile it together & posed it on devart :) ] ~
  • edited November -1
    Thats what I planned on doing ... but, I posted it on a lion king fanart messageboard with text instead. xD

I'll make a pretty version for dA soon. :3
  • edited November -1
    Yay! :D ~
  • edited November -1
    Steph-Do you just draw animals? I am trying to find good plane pics for the nursery but I dont like them or they are too $$....
  • edited September 2008
    I mostly just draw animals ...

Don't want animals for the nursery? ;D haha.

Just to give an idea of what i've been up to the past few weeks;

They were some class assignments for my drawing 1 class. Theres a few things that are a little off ...
    Also, sorry for the quality. All of them are on All Purpose paper, about 24 x 18. So, I can't scan them. I took photos in my poorly lit room.
  • edited November -1
    I doodled on the computer today. :) Since I didn't have Toby, I was referencing to my Shiba sculpture I have.

Photobucket
  • edited November -1
    Those are great - I like the head-on face shot [err drawing]!

Do you have a pen for your computer?

----
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. How do you get that on your computer?????
  • edited November -1
    I have an Intuos 3 Wacom tablet. :) They're very neat.

http://www.wacom.com/intuos/index.cfm
  • edited November -1
    They are very cool!
    We have a bunch of Intuous2 here at work, and only one Intuos3. The short cut keys are very helpful.
  • edited November -1
    I love love LOVE my Intuos 3. I have the 9x12 one :) [ & it's the special edition one so it's black moihaha ]~
  • edited November -1
    I actually have two. :)
    the 4x6 and the 8x10? I think? The one I have with me at college is the 4x6.
  • edited November -1
    My 4x6 is a Graphire 2 :D I love him, but not so great on a 22" monitor. [ plus...he's OLD. Like...5 years old, & turns off if you wiggle the cable :O ] When I actually start art classes, I'll probably buy a small intuos to take with me :) ~
  • edited November -1
    - sigh - I've been very swamped with school work lately, so I haven't had much time to myself. But, I drew tonight. I drew another Shiba. :)

• edited November -1
    WOW! Has Disney made you an offer? That would be cool to watch a Disney movie about shibas or other Nihon Ken-where you drew them!
  • edited November -1
    haha. I wish. :)
    I'm like every other animal artist out there, though. And i'm not really going for animation in college. I'm going for illustration. n___n
    Though sadly, anything that publicizes a breed, will in turn ... ruin it. Like 101 Dalmatians.

I'm kind of afraid to even make anything with Nihon-ken, in fear of ruining them, but I could always put notes at the end of things, if I ever get anything made.
  • edited November -1
    Look great Steph! Being busy with school work is a good thing. :-)
  • edited November 2008
    Here's another update! :)
    I've been super busy lately with art. :0

I'm currently in the process of :
    - finishing up my first semester
    - working on my art final
    - writing two children's books
  • edited November -1
    Wow Steph, love the 2nd, 3rd, and 7th...especially the 2nd. The third would be an awesome father character in a children's book. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Love Love Love the 2nd.