thought I'd share this story

edited September 2008 in General
My mom is 86 years old and has severe dementia, poor mobilty and can be very aggressive so when choosing which dogs I was going to have i had to take this into consideration. I had heard a lot about Akitas being used for therapy dogs but was still a little unsure. But in my heart I knew that an Akita or two was the dogs for me.
any way at first the dogs would not go near my mom and this seemed to upset her not in an aggressive way but as the pups have got older Ozzy goes to my mom and puts his head on her lap as to say r u ok lets her stroke him then goes away. then missy will come in and does the same thing.
At the moment my mom is very poorly I went up stairs I heard the dogs downstairs go quiet. This worried me so I ran downstairs both dogs had got up on the settee and was snuggled up to my mom which had really calmed her down

Comments

• edited November -1
    Awww....I love when you see their keen senses in action. That is so amazing. Those 2 babies should help your mom have a calmer time remaining her on earth (sorry no better way to put it that I can think of). That is an amazing gift that you have given your mom. Dogs are the most amazing creatures and I love seeing them in action in moments like this. My cat is very much the same with me. She is in tune with my emotions, especially since being pregnant. Sometimes I get annoyed wanting to be left alone until I realize that they are trying to calm me down.
    My prayers are with your mom and with you.
  • edited November -1
    This is very sweet. What good pups.
  • edited November -1
    Dogs always have something up their sleeves to put a smile on our faces.
  • edited November -1
    :-) What a great story. The amazing thing is that dogs don't have to learn how to act around us, they are just in tune with us from the start. Although Missy and Ozzy clearly are a notch ahead. They are wise beyond their years. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Your Mom is so lucky that you have the dogs for her. It always amazes me that they have the sense for those who are fragile or in need of the kind of "help" they can offer, be it a young child, toddler or baby; or the elderly and infirm. From the time we found Josephine (about 12 weeks old) she was a routine visitor to the nursing home to see my father-in-law (after a pretty severe stroke). Not only did she exhibit the proper amount of decorum and respect with him but many of other residents loved her, too. Several members of the staff would inquire about when she was coming back to visit, if my husband kept her away for many days in a row. Animals seem to have a way for bringing out the best in these folks! And I have found that dogs (and cats) can add just the right kind of (unconditional love) therapy when desperately needed in other situations, too!