The beginning of something really, really good..

edited October 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
What is that something? A family. For the first time, I feel that we made a good call taking in Hachi, formerly Minx or Geisha depending on who you talk to, and I think she feels the same way. There were little signs here and there in the last month, but for a while it seemed as though we just weren't what was best for her.
She is changing, though. Blossoming, really - into a companion dog.

If I had to guess what changed things around for us, I'd have to say the time factor (almost 6.5-7 months), her spay and TURT procedure to regulate hormones and pain, the rescue remedy administered for about 2 weeks (we stopped 1.5 weeks ago), the boundaries set to 'force' her into our living space (we've since reopened the door to that room, but she doesn't go in if we aren't there), and our renewed positive attitude towards her development.

We got frustrated, lost and confused for a while there, but I am glad we did, it made us re-evaluate and take stock into our true longterm goals, so I'm grateful to have had that reflection. And we got support from great people and resources. We recharged our patience, love and understanding and out came this beautiful dog, Hachi.

Some pics I've taken over the last week or so of Hachi and that husband she used to fear:
From Developments in the Pack
My family:
Some videos of the peaceful interactions..
Hachi and Kitsune, pre-nap

A fun little video, Tsuki trying to get in on the warm sunspot:

I know this is probably pretty boring already, but its a huge deal to me. And I wanted to show everyone who gave me great advice and support what can happen when you find you have the resources and you just don't give up.. So thank you to all on this forum that helped out in my weak moments - it means the world to me :)

Comments

• edited November -1
    I love hearing stuff like this from you, Jen! It's so heartwarming to know that Hachi is learning what it really means to be someone's pet. :) The pictures of Hachi cuddling with your husband make me tear up.
  • edited November -1
    Jen, that is so great!
    It took time, we know, but it's more than worth it. It's amazing seeing her cuddle with John.
    Congratulations to all of you and keep it up! :-D
  • edited November -1
    Great pictures Jen. Hachi appears to be a very happy girl. She is so lucky that you two adopted her.
  • edited November -1
    That is great to see Jen. Keep up the good work!
  • edited November -1
    She looks really peaceful, that's really great! Those videos are great too. I'm really happy for you guys - good job! :o)

----
  • edited November -1
    This is really great!!! Super-great!
  • edited November -1
    Much love <3!!!!! :) Awesome news & development :)~
  • edited November -1
    This is a great update. I think everyone knew you could make this happen, and you did make the right choice by taking her in and keeping her.
  • edited November -1
    yayyyy!! She looks so cuddlesome!
  • edited November -1
    thanks all! She's been like really chill lately, I don't know exactly what did it, or the combination of what happened, but I'm not questioning a good thing - you know that horse with the gifted mouth and all that..

:))
  • edited November -1
    I'm so glad things are going so well for you! PLEASE keep sharing all of the milestones you and Hachi experience!!!! The video of te "warm spot" is SUPER cute! HAHAH
  • edited November -1
    Im so happy for all of you and so glad that you were willing to work through it. The feeling of it all coming together...there is no words. It will always be worth it, you just may not know when or how.
    Big HUGS to all of you!!
  • edited November -1
    I am so proud of all the hard work you and John have put into making Hachi feel like a part of the family. You are doing a great thing, and it shows. She really looks like she is comfortable and calm.

And I adore the pictures of her loving on John. I bet that made both of your hearts just melt!

Congratulations, and keep up the great work. :)
  • edited November -1
    That is so exciting! I know you worked really hard with Hachi!

And - "10-10-08, the day hachi wagged her tail" - perfect timing!! It's my birthday ;-).

I am so happy for you!
  • edited November -1
    I'm so happy for you. Hachi is so beautiful and it's nice to know that she's getting more content.

On a side note, I love how puffy Hachi is - so cute.
  • edited November -1
    my birthday too!!!
    Happy Belated Birthday!
  • edited October 2008
    Well Happy Belated Birthday to both of you.
  • edited November -1
    That's awesome. I'm so happy for you that things with Hachi have started to turn around.
  • edited November -1
    Congratulations! That's pretty amazing considering one of your previous posts. Keep up the great work.
  • edited October 2008
    the one where we were ready to give up, you mean. after posting that, we really got into gear and got serious (not that we weren't, but we adopted a new perspective and were given invaluable advice by myamamo) and started giving her mild natural sedatives and changing the way we do things with her. and it worked out a hell of a lot better than anticipated. and I instantly wish I just dealt with it instead of pleaded for help on here.
    BUT life is funny like that i guess.
  • edited November -1
    Sometimes it's a plea for help, sometimes it's a chance to vent it out so that you don't take it out on someone in person. We all need to be able to vent at times.

:-D
  • edited November -1
    LJ - You are so right.

Hope Hachi is continuing to progress. Love the pics and videos! Keep up the fun spam!
  • edited November -1
    I just wish I knew the secret in housebreaking an outdoor dog... its taking a long time, she is still having accidents, although it seems they are not fear related, which is an improvement.
  • edited November -1
    Jess: Neat! And right back at ya (though unfortunately, much more belated)!
  • edited November -1
    So last night Hachi went back to skittish Hachi, and was under the bed for about an hour or so. I gave her some rescue remedy and cranked up the Mozart and she hung out for the rest of the night.

She's definitely a work in progress... I can't even figure out what spooked her yesterday...
  • edited November -1
    Dogs can get spooked by the slightest things, sometimes non-exsistent things. It soundsl ike she recovered pretty quickly though, good work.
  • edited October 2008
    Sorry about the small back slide, but it sounds like you did the right thing and she recovered quickly. Keep up the great work, and remember, it is totally worth it! :) Just look at those pictures of her and John! So cute.
  • edited November -1
    That must be so frustrating for you guys! I dunno what to say, I agree that it does sound like she recover quickly.

Maui is scared of the dish washer, if we even touch the dishwasher he runs outside. I always laugh because he could be doing anything and if we touch the dishwasher he is like "Ah! I'm out!" and just runs out the door. lol

My point is, Brandon is right, the littlest things can freak a hypersensitive or fearful dog out.

----
  • edited October 2008
    I agree! Jazz has been doing so much better, but now it's hunting season and we have land behind us that is hunted on...so those 5am shots really freak Jazz out.
  • edited November -1
    Awww, poor Jazz, I wouln't like 5am shots either though! Yikes.

Miso gets freaked out when I put the trash barrells in front of the house. I can't put them out the night before because he stays up all night staring and barking/growling at them.
This discussion has been closed.