First time off leash

edited November 2008 in General
i am going to let Mischa off her lead this weekend in the park for the first time, and i would be greatful for any tips!! also as she growls and snaps at other dogs when she is on her lead when they get too close to her should i muzzel her whilst off lead? or do they act differently when off lead?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Um, that sounds a little like a bad idea. Perhaps she should not be off lead where you can't save her until you determine the cause of her growling/snapping (maybe she doesn't want other dogs in her business becuase they need to back off her space). I personally don't like to muzzle animals in a social situation (aside from the necessity of a medical restraint) because they can't defend themselves and it takes away their confidence-especially for a dog that you know going into it doesn't tolerate it sounds like, other dogs in her zone. Whatever you do, make sure you can recall her in the event of a disaster. Well, maybe you could at least let her drag a leash.
  • edited November -1
    If Mischa is dog aggressive it is NOT a good idea to let her off lead. I would speak to a behaviorist and work very closely with Mischa to determine exactly what her issues with other dogs are. Remember, growling and snapping are warnings. The next step is a bite and you can open yourself up to a legal mess at the very least. To give her some freedom, make or purchase a longer lead 10' or so to help you remain in control.
  • edited November -1
    I am assuming that the park in which you would allow your dog to be off lead is FULLY fenced in. If not then we don't even need to get to the second part of the questions. Shibas should NEVER be allowed off leash anywhere where it is not completely fenced in.

Now if the place IS fenced in, the second part...

I would consider taking her still as long as the other dogs she will be encountering are not much bigger than her (for the first couple times at least) and well tempered. Growling and snapping are communication. And dogs on leash can feel a bit trapped and more compelled to defend themselves. Do not punish her for growling. She is trying to express her discomfort.

Perhaps before you put her in such a big situation have her play with a few other puppies in your yard. Or another really well behaved adult dog.

Under no circumstances would I muzzle your pup. That would escalate her fear and insecurity simply because you will have rendered her defenseless.
  • edited November -1
    thanks so much for the advice, i dont really want to muzzle her and think maybe letting her play with other friends dogs in a secure place might be the way forward. however some people have said that she would act differently off lead with other dogs but i dont want to find this out the hard way!!!
  • edited November -1
    That is why I think starting in a more controlled environment is ideal. Especially with people you know and dogs you know. If you start in a small yard with one or two dogs with puppy experience and you close by you will have an easier time controlling and assessing the situation. Barbara is right the the next step from growling and snapping is biting. However the next step is a HUGE one that most dogs have a long way to go to get there.

Miko growls and snarls when she first meets a new dog and warms not long after.

If you do do some puppy play situations make sure to keep her harness on so if a situation gets sticky you can pull her out without grabbing a collar and possibly hurting her neck.

Dogs growl and snarl when they are nervous and scared. It is great that you are trying to socialize her (BTW how old is she?) do your best to set her up for success by making sure she knows she is safe with you. That YOU are there to protect her not punish her. I would also suggest that if she is still a puppy you consider a puppy play class for her.
  • edited November -1
    thanks Jessica.
    Mischa is 3 yrs old and does the same as Miko growls and snarles first meet and then warms to them a little later
  • edited November -1
    I am assuming this means you rescued her, and this is my favorite thing to hear! If you know Mischa does play I would give her a few small happy play experiences under her belt. This will help build her confidence. From there perhaps take her to the park.

My little boy Moto did great at the park. My two girls don't feel confident enough to play in a group like that. They need controlled environments. Dog parks are not for every dog. In fact I don't know if they are for most dogs.

Just be there for her.

Best of luck to you.
  • edited November -1
    thanks, i'll let you know how we get on..
  • edited November -1
    I think you've gotten great advice, just remember that shibas, as a breed, are unreliable off leash - whether the area is fenced in or not - unreliable. So its best to work on some obedience and getting to know your dog (as you do) when her limits have been reached, what she does, how you can be there for her so you can make the experience a positive one.

And while dog parks can be awesome, they really aren't for everyone. We haven't been to a dog park in like 4 months and I don't know that we'll ever go back. So if it works out - great! If not, don't feel bad, there are other ways to socialize your dog!
  • edited November -1
    I've taken Honey to a dog park twice now. The first time it was Heaven. The second.....not so much. I agree with what everyone else has said......Take your time with it.....Let your pup experience smaller groups in a more controlled environment.

Hope things go well! Cant wait to hear your update!
  • edited November -1
    Dibbs-I read your other comments in the other threads first. I am so glad you are open to advice and reconsidering how to approach socialization. Dog parks are very iffy for each dog. Niko is a star at the dog park but she is EXTREMELY social and even more resilient with all dog interactions. Sasha just observes and once in a while acts carefree and then realizes she is scared of the world. But her observing exhausts her.
    I am a big supporter of daycare or planned socialization classes. They are controlled, well monitored by unbiased professionals and has done wonders for Sasha, a very fearful and timid dog.
    Good luck and thank you so much for considering what is best for your dog, I love hearing that!
  • edited November -1
    We are going to a Shiba meet up tomorrow. Miso is experienced in dog parks and social situations so I have no problem letting him run free (in the fenced facility of course!) with the other dogs, I am always cautious because even though My dog is well behaved that doesn't mean the OTHER dogs are.

We are taking Sake with us, who has never been to a dog park so we will be a little more reserved with her so we can see how she reacts. I hope she takes after Miso and just wants to run and play. Sake has played with other dogs before (we have 10 in our complex and our courtyard serves as our private dog park) so she is not afraid of other dogs. I just don't want any other dogs getting to rough with my little pup! But she has Miso to stick up for her now...
  • edited November -1
    Kristin, please take tons of pics and maybe a video or two of your meet up! I love Miso and Sake spam! heehee