The Anderson family is under attack!

Comments

• edited November -1
    How do you test for intelligence in dogs? Mules are superior load-bearers to donkeys, hence the creation of mules. Why do you find it difficult to believe they have more stamina than horses? Donkeys have more stamina than horses. Mules are a combination of the best traits of each species.

Wild cat crosses arise in the wild occasionally. In captivity, probably by accident to begin with, then just by human fascination. Why do we have zoos/circuses?

Also, I'll point out that Corina said they have LESS stable temperments than their parent species.
  • edited November -1
    Actually, Kyla, I was joking, but I don't believe in blanket statements like - X is more intelligent than Y. It's like saying Asians are more intelligent then Europeans. Ridiculous.

Why do we have circuses? I think it's an outrage. Hopefully zoos serve to teach to people about animals and not just for people to just sit and stare at. That's why they have all those seminars about animals in zoos and those little plaques that tell you where they are from, etc.

And temperament is another variable, one Ligor could be more stable, while another could be less stable. One puggle could be less stable than another, etc.

If anyone would like to continue, please whisper a comment so we don't completely hijack this thread. Thanks.
  • edited December 2008
    Actually, I'm thinking about just creating an new thread for this in the Off-Topic catergory:
    Animal Hybrids - please continue further discussion here. Thanks so much!

Funny thing, I'm totally guilty of starting the off-topic with my video.

Back to the Anderson pack & predator ongoings!
  • edited November -1
    haha sorry, I must also take the blame for off-topic ness. :) ~
  • edited November -1
    Okay, this is the third time I'm trying to post on this thread and it keeps getting lost in cyberspace... third time's a charm.

So that is insane about that hawk! You'd think there would be enough gophers and other yummy critters that they wouldn't go after a dog. I mean really, that is one ambitious hawk. Sounds like Luytiy is earning his keep, though. Good for him!

On an interesting, non-Nihon ken note, Iceland sheepdogs have a natural dislike of birds of prey. There aren't any large predators in Iceland to bother the sheep, but hawks will gauge out the eyes of lambs, so Iceland sheepdogs really like to bark at and chase big birds. Navi is no exception... she gets pretty riled up when she sees one of the great-horned owls that lives in our barn. I wonder how big the hawks are in Iceland...
  • edited November -1
    I found this on YouTube today and thought it was on-topic for this thread...

----
  • edited November -1
    Jebus. That was crazy!
  • edited November -1
    A 12 ounce bird can't carry a 2 lbs coconut!!!
  • edited November -1
    Holy F***!!!
  • edited November -1
    OH MY GOD
  • edited November -1
    Holy Shazbot, well, they say the Emporer Claudius was carried away as an infant by an Eagle, I believe it now.
  • edited November -1
    It's impressive!
    I had seen something like it in a documentary about a large bird of prey (forgot the name) that would catch a mountain goat and drop it on a cliff to kill it.
  • edited November -1
    I was wondering how the eagle actually killed the goat. Them goats can be fiesty.
  • edited November -1
    Them talons can be nasty
  • edited November -1
    Wow! Those hawk videos are scary to watch and amazing. I have hawks, and owls in my area, but they seem to stay in the forest areas, but seeing this thread I'll have to be extra careful with my shiba inu pup when I get one. =\
  • edited November -1
    wow thats crazy! glad everyone is okay.
  • edited November -1
    Man birds are awesome. I love the Red Tail Hawks we have around here, but I wish we had birds like that.
  • edited November -1
    ouch. that was one hungry bird.
  • edited November -1
    I just StumbledUpon this and I thought it's related to this thread...

• edited November -1
    Ok I cry foul on this one...no pun intended.....the bird has ties so obviously a falconer must have set the bird out.
    I guess this is a safer method than amo but hey it still sucks to be the fox in any case.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Holy crap! That poor fox is done for!
  • edited November -1
    Yes, those look like jesses. Poor fox.
  • edited November -1
    Wow thats one sick picture. I wonder if there is a vid with it.

The picture reminds me of Super Smash Bros. Falco Lambardi vs Fox McCloud.
  • edited November -1
    holy crap!!!
  • edited November -1
    That picture is amazing. I'd love to do wildlife photography, although is it really wildlife if the falcon is trained?
  • edited February 2009
  • edited November -1
    LOL - Good one Heidi.

I agree, that pic is pretty amazing!

----
  • edited November -1
    That is an amazing picture. Just goes to show you that sometimes...just sometimes...mother nature likes to f*ck with the food chain :)

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Birds of prey are so freaking awesome.
    And Heidi, I love the caption. :)
  • edited November -1
    This is really cool...

Yesterday Jen and I were sitting in the office while Luytiy was laying just outside the office. Kona, Masha, Huna and Maui were outside chill'n. When all of the sudden Luytiy lets out this strange grumble - he jumps up and runs out the door. We hear some VERY hectic noise and run out to see what just happened.

We see this flying off over the fence...

IMG_7447

IMG_7446

YES - that is a golden eagle! Same kind that's in these videos!

I grabbed my camera and just made it back to snap those shots as the GIANT bird disappeared into the gorge. I cropped those images... I wish I had gotten a shot pf it by the fence.

THANX BIG L!

----