Finally met a Shiba Inu

edited March 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Well, I have seen a lot of dogs around the area, but never Nihon Ken - until yesterday! I was getting bored with my normal parks, so I decided to try the walking trail outside of town. On my way back to the car, there was a girl walking a little shiba inu!! She let me pet him and seemed surprised I knew what it was (and how to pronounce it), but I think she was disappointed I did not have my own and knew of no others in the area. Anyway, the lil shiba was quite soft and friendly and well-behaved. I was just so excited to FINALLY get to meet one!

Comments

• edited November -1
    that is exciting! two people on campus have shibas (one is a teacher) and they are very friendly, both are puppies (sadly from puppiespuppiespuppies! (a store) ) Strange since we only have about 1000 or so on campus. : )

I really want one of my own. Might get one this summer if things work out with my house. : )
  • edited November -1
    I am hoping for a Kai or Shikoku... Best wishes for a Shiba filled summer!!
  • edited November -1
    thanks! good luck in getting a kai/shikoku : )
  • edited November -1
    Isn't it awesome when you finally see one for the first time? :D

Now imagine how we'll be when we finally see a Kai or Shika! lol

Why are there none in Florida?! grrr. ~
  • edited November -1
    i live in florida atm, our campus is in sarasota : )
    though i've only seen shibas here.

I'd love to see kai and shika, and any other Nihon Ken for that matter, but alas, they are rare here. -shrug-
  • edited March 2009
    Oh! I didn't know you're in Fl! :) I'm in Kissimmee / Orlando. Living here all my life, & only seen 2 shibas locally, tons of Akita [ american ] But Really really REALLY want to meet a Shikoku or Kai :( ~
  • edited November -1
    I am in Miami, FL. It is also rare to see shiba here. Wish my dog had some shiba friends.....really :-(
  • edited November -1
    I guess I feel a bit better about the lack of Nihon-Ken here in Kansas then!

Yes, Osy, I will probably barely be able to contain my joy when I get to meet a Kai or Shikoku for the first time!!
  • edited November -1
    I always go to sarasota. I just took Ninja to st. Armands Circle. I would love a Shika in a year or two! I live in Gainesville but my parents are in Tampa, where I frequently vist. We should all meet up! Or go on a massive hike one day :)
  • edited November -1
    Oh awesome! St. Armands is so nice : )
    That sounds so fun : ) should def have a FL meetup.
    I don't have a shiba yet, but I might be able to get one this summer, or maybe an akita. My parents and I are talking about possibly getting me a dog since I'm living off campus and would feel safer/less lonely that way. : )
    I head for ATL around early May im pretty sure, but I'm in FL during the school year : )
  • edited November -1
    sorry for hijacking btw asia n_n;
  • edited November -1
    A few days ago we saw our first "civilian" Shiba, meaning the first outside a breeder's house or dog show.
    I wasn't believing my eyes, so I asked the woman holding the leash if it was actually a Shiba. Her reply was:
    "Yes, yes. And what a pretty Chow Chow you have there!" lol
  • edited November -1
    LOL!
  • edited November -1
    HAHA!!! 'chow chow' Well, I suppose you just can not win them all. :-P
  • edited November -1
    Errik met his first full grown shiba, second shiba ever this weekend. Romi, if Ninja ever disappears, Errik does not have him lol.
  • edited November -1
    "Yes, yes. And what a pretty Chow Chow you have there!" - still laughing at that one!
This discussion has been closed.