Taking my lil Kitsu on the airplane

edited April 2009 in General
I will be traveling home and taking my little precious with me. I have been reading various articles online, but was wondering if anybody here at the forum has had any experience flying with their Shiba (or other dog) and what tips you have. This will be my first time flying with a dog, so any info or tips would be most appreciated.

additional info- we will be flying between Orlando and Chicago direct, roughly a 3hour flight. Since my little one is just a pup, she is just small enough to fit in the cabin. She is a teeny bit tall, but I found a more pliable carrier that fits her and the airline requirements :)

P.S we will be traveling on American Airlines so if anybody has had any experience dealing with them specifically, even better!!! :)

Comments

• edited November -1
    How far are you travelling?
  • edited November -1
    Is she riding in the cabin or in cargo?
  • edited April 2009
    You may have gotten to these already but here they are anyway.
    It's also good to know the ratings of the domestic airlines in regard to pet travel and problems that have occurred so you can head off issues and double check on your accompanied cargo. (Unless of course your pup fits under you seat in a carrier)

http://www.bringfido.com/travel/airline_policies/
    http://www.bringfido.com/travel/top_10_tips/
    http://www.petflight.com/pet-incidents

I had a friend traveling with their Shiba. Upon arrival at the destination apparently someone in the baggage took the animal out and the dog escaped. Two hours later they found a terrified dog standing on a forklift several hangers away.

Make sure your pup is microchipped, has tags and the crate well marked. If you have a stop over make sure that you do a double check that the cargo is actually transferred. Keep you cell on you and have the cell number on the cargo as well.

Usually all is fine but you do need a POC in case you need to be reached quickly.

Snf
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    When we flew Ryu from Hawaii to Missouri, he had to stay in cargo. By the time we landed in St. Louis, the entire cabin could hear the howling beneath us :(

My biggest tip is to make sure Kitsu has COMPLETELY emptied her bladder before boarding :) And if she pulls a "shiba" and won't pee on command, take a bunch of baby wipes to clean her crate afterwards :)
  • edited November -1
    You could hear Ryu while in flight? That's some serious howling, airplanes are no quiet environment.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    You could barely hear him while we landed but when the propellers stopped and we were just taxi-ing in, oh boy.... you could hear the howling big time! Everyone was snickering and saying "Poor doggie!". As we were walking to baggage claim, I could see him being unloaded from cargo - he was just smiling away! Such a drama queen.
  • edited April 2009
    We haven't flown with our Shiba yet but when we did with my parents poddle we went to the vet and he gave a mild sedative to give to the dog for the flight.

My grandparents lived in Florida and we visited them at least once a year (flying from NY).

It didn't put him out, it seemed to just make him groggy. After a few hours he was fine and it didn't seem to have any long term effects. The poddle lived to 17 years old.
  • edited November -1
    I had to fly with little Sophie from Bulgaria to Austria to bring her home.. she was around 3 months old and very small but the airline only allowed dogs in the cargo.

It was one of these cheap airlines and i will never fly with them with a dog again.. poor sophie had to wait for around 20-30 minutes in her crate out in the heat with the luggage on the airfield nearby running planes...and this was only the part i know cause I saw her crate from the waiting room.

didnt hear anything during the flight but sophie didnt howl or barked at this age... she had seen so much the days before (hell loud trams, taxis) and had lived on the street before so i think the worst thing for her was that she was all alone... this was the most ugliest hour in my life...

when i got her back at the airport she didnt seem terrified , just happy to see people again

If I would fly with her again, now at her age (9 months) I think it would be a horror trip and that we would hear her definitly during the fligth!!!

But I wish you good luck and I think it wont become a big problem cause your allowed to take your dog into the cabin!!!

Baba Lisa