does a dog need a pack?

edited April 2009 in General
so, there is a dog that lives down the street from me
and I've noticed every time I walk pass his house, toki runs and sits by the fence and waits for the dog to come out...is it better to have multiple dogs? (like how you need to keep multiple mice for them to be happy)
for those multiple dog owners have you noticed a change in your dogs behavior after you got the second one, and at what age is a good age to introduce a second dog?

Comments

• edited November -1
    I believe a dog is probably more happy by itself. When you introduce another member, there is possibility of tension between both dogs, and then attention needs to split between more than one dog. Things get more complicated when an actual 'pack' takes place, when you throw a third dog in. A pair of dogs are usually pretty happy, though. :) Especially if they get along well with one another.
  • edited November -1
    I think it depends a lot on the dog. In general, I think dogs have been so thoroughly domesticated that they can do with either human or canine companionship, but some dogs prefer one to the other. Skella, for instance, obviously prefers humans to dogs. This is probably due to the Iceland sheepdog's close relationship with humans throughout its creation. One explorer, upon reaching Iceland said that no one went anywhere unless they were accompanied by a dog, so the breed has a genetic pre-disposition to crave human attention and enjoy being a member of a human pack. Some dogs, such as foxhounds, were traditionally kept in large groups and didn't interact as much with their owners. They were kept out in the "kennels", not part of the human family. Sled dogs are sometimes treated similarly, but there have been cultures where sled dogs were considered dear family members.

In the end, I think a dog will always prefer companionship of some kind to being alone, so I tend to think that if the human family members are gone much of the time, having a second dog is beneficial. Some dogs need companionship more than others. Shibas, for instance, don't mind being alone so much. Tojo spends a lot of time just hanging out in his dog bed in the bedroom, away from all the commotion. Skella would prefer to have constant companionship. The people I bought her from have two other dogs, and for a while they just had one Iceland sheepdog. They both worked full time and said that their first dog was much happier when they got the second dog. I definitely believe it. Skella howls woefully if she gets left alone for too long.

I think dogs need companionship from either humans, other dogs, or both. What is ideal depends on the situation. If one of the dogs is a bully, it will make the other miserable, but the same can be said of an abusive owner. I recall someone on another forum saying that her two shibas barely even noticed she existed. She worked long hours and they always had each other, so they bonded to each other much more strongly than they did to her. Dogs that are born into feral packs don't seem to need humans at all, and dogs that are raised by human packs and never interact with other dogs seem to dislike other dogs and are perfectly happy with their humans.

Of course, dog companions have a few advantages. They play and act like dogs and they have a lot of free time. I don't have the time or the inclination to spend a full hour each day wrestling with my dogs in the yard, but they do this with each other and seem to really enjoy it. Also, I'm not fast enough to play their chasing games and I won't go splashing into the pond or running through the bushes. Then again, none of the dogs can throw a tennis ball as far as I can.
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Heidi.

I mean they say cats are independent but Dahmer and Sassy are a wreck without each other. Rats should be in groups but I've had rats that rather be with me than with their rat buddies.
  • edited November -1
    I'll never forget the look on Cody's face when my partner moved in w/ her dog...Cody took one look at Maya (a rat terrier), looked back at me...looked at Maya and then back at me and I swear he had this look of, "OH MY GOD!!! MOM GOT ME A DOG!!"...it was like Christmas morning for him...those two absolutely adored eachother! In the 5 years they were together, they never had a single fight.
  • edited November -1
    I loved my rats, but they didn't care about other rats at all!!! I've had quite a lot, but the most at once was 12 rats. None of them ever seemed to desire to be with other rats, in fact I ended up getting 12 living environments for them because of it! They never liked living with each other.
  • edited November -1
    Haha nice. The most I've had at the same time was 5. They were a bunch of frat boys...troublemakers, bullies and messy. Errik never wants rats again because of them lol.
  • edited November -1
    Dogs love companionship, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they want another dog in their home. Some dogs love playing with other dogs, but when it comes to another dog in their home, it's a whole different story.

Toki may have associated this dog down the street as something good and a lot of fun. We also have a neighbor that has dogs, and is so much a dog lover she has installed a permanent false fire-hydrant, and is willing to suffer through weekly dog allergy shots. My guys have played there plenty of times, so every time we pass their house Tetsu is always pulling towards their yard to play.

Toki may, in essence, be doing the same thing, and want to play with the other dog.
  • edited November -1
    If a dog is not dog aggressive (most are not) then I think they always prefer to have a dog companion. Dogs are pack animals. I am dog sitting right now and Nemo loves having his buddies over.
  • edited November -1
    I don't think Miso would be okay without Sake. He was okay before we got her, but I see a huge improvement now that she is in our life.
  • edited November -1
    I agree that it depends on the dog. I think it might be the dog's natural desire, however, to seek out companionship with other creatures, dog or human, as they are a social animal.

Beebe was fine being an only, but looking back, she was really missing out on some social skills that go along with living with a house mate (primarily sharing-the bad word for Shiba, and polite play). Her behavior changed very positively overall, she was 14 months when I introduced Ike. She was very aloof with me until I brought in the competition, and Ike's good manners and calming energy really tone her reactivity down. I spent many hours working to resolve any exisiting behavior issues before Ike even came home so he didn't pick up on the undesirable things.
  • edited November -1
    I have Brandon's mentality, but I've also fostered dogs that were truly best as an only dog due to behavior issues. However, I think at the core of every dog is a pack animal. For me, personally, with the two dogs I have now, I think two is a perfect number.
  • edited November -1
    Bella was happy when she was an only pup, there is definitely no denying it. However, when we brought Nola home, there was almost an immediate change in her personality. She was more than just happy. There was finally someone in the house that spoke her language (and that she could boss around!). While they are never really all that cuddly towards each other, you can definitely tell that they love each other and really enjoy each other's company. It even gets to the point where if (for whatever reason) one of them is not at the house, the other spends the whole time looking for her.

I, too, think two is a perfect number. :)
  • edited November -1
    Belle was fine before Keiko, and I think she'd be perfectly happy being an only dog. Keiko LOVES Belle and would love to play with her nonstop... We saw a HUGE HUGE change in Keiko when we introduced Loki. All of the sudden she wanted to be very affectionate with us - I think seeing the attention Loki was getting sparked something in her. Loki, of course, is just a big goofy boy and loves his sisters!
  • edited November -1
    Levi was our one and only shiba until he was about 5 ,I believe he was very happy in a one dog family.He is was balanced and just the perfect dog .We then decided that it was a great time to bring in a second shiba(a puppy)We were very careful with the introductions because at first Levi wanted to kill her,but once he realized that this was now a member of the pack, he developed an awsome relationship.One that cannot be duplicated between a human and a dog.Today they are best friends they play for hours and chase each other everywhere. It was the best moves we ever made. They are the perfect team.One of the greatest things is that Levi taught Gin the rules of the house much quicker than I could have done. So I definetly believe adding a second dog to your pack can bring new energy to your first dog,but I would wait until your first dog is mature enough or it can be a real challenge training two youg pups at the same time.As far as Levi's behavior when we first got Gin he seemed a little depressed for about a week ,but then he bounced right back to his old self (even better).
  • edited November -1
    We got our two puppies at exactly the same time. They fight occasionally but most of the time I think they really love playing and wrestling with each other. Our cat is the opposite though, she'd rather be the only animal in the house, and be the center of attention.