Your thoughts...

edited April 2009 in General
I was at the dog park the other day with Tom and the boys. Halfway through our visit, a man with his staffie, of which Tetsu doesn't really care for, walks in. First off let me state that this man is ignorant on doggie language, doesn't control his dogs, and boasts about how great this one pet store is for purchasing dogs (he has currently 5 from this store).

His staffie is a rough player and doesn't listen to any "back off" signals other dogs are giving it, but the staffie will react aggressively if the dog gives a growl or a snap, and the guy thinks it is just play until even when a fight breaks out. He does little to separate unless the owner of the other dog is freaking out.

Within the 20 minutes she was there, she got into a scuffle with Tetsu and a big fight with another dog. Tom was able to pull Tetsu away before it actually became a fight, but the whole time the guy is stating at how well they are playing together. I tell the guy that Tetsu doesn't like how she plays with him and if the guy could keep better control of his dog. He never listens, no matter how many people tell him.

Anyways, a man walks in through both gates with his dog still leashed, some collie/lab mix, and the staffie goes right for it. A big fight ensues, attracting the attention of practically every dog in the park. The owner of the mix is screaming "I'm calling the cops", and the staffie owner is not doing to well in restraining or separating the dogs. Once the dogs are pulled apart, the mix owner states that his dog was attacked yesterday and he's getting sick of this, proceeds to call the cops. The staffie owner states that they shouldn't be passing the second gate with his dog still leashed, that this makes it more aggressive.

While both owners are talking to the cops, many of the park regulars are saying:

"What is that guy doing walking in with his dog still leashed, what does he expect"

"A dog should never growl at a staffie" (as if the dog is supposed to know better than to growl at a staffie.)

"The staffie is a rough player, but she's not that bad."

Most of the people were supporting the staffie, while one or two stated that she gets into fights all the time and the man doesn't really stop or control her.

Some seemed to support the staffie mainly since the other guy called the cops and they feared that it may turn the park into a very rigid place where you would need special IDs, cameras everywhere, no toys or treats, no barking and such.

I feel that both guys were idiots, but I'm a bit bias against the staffie guy since what I have seen him not do when she gets at it with Tetsu.

What is everyone's thoughts and opinions about this...Feel free to state anything you may feel or need to share.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Wait...your dog park allows you to bring your own toys and treats into it? I've got more on my mind I'd like to say but I'm just gonna sit this one out till my thoughts become better formed.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Well, IMHO, that staffie shouldn't be at the park - not because it's a staffie but because it obviously sets all the other dogs off, whether it is actually play or not.

The guy with the leashed dog made a mistake taking his dog in leashed, that's for sure... but his biggest mistake is taking his dog back to a place where it was previously attacked!

I cringe to think of how poor tempered a staffie you would get from a pet store. jeez. You would be better off rescuing, imo.

So, that's my initial thoughts... A few questions also came to mind:

Did either dog (staffie or mix) suffer an injury from this "big fight"?

What did the cop say/do?

Has the staffie ever injured a dog at the park?

----
  • edited November -1
    They allow toys, grounds littered with forgotten tennis balls, and people bring in treats to give out or use to bribe their own dogs. Personally, I don't mind the balls, but I wish people would be more careful with stuff that a dog would be more possessive over. One guy brought in a raw hide, and once Tetsu got a hold of it he wouldn't let it go. When he has something he likes, he runs away from and growls at any dog near by. I tell the guy I don't want my guy chewing on the raw hide in the dog park, and he says, "it's ok that he can have it". Once his back was turned, I threw it in the trash.

And to Brads questions:

Did either dog (staffie or mix) suffer an injury from this "big fight"?

Form the looks of it, there was no major injuries or blood, just a lot of gossip and yelling. Before the cops arrived, it almost looked like both guys were about to beat each other

What did the cop say/do?

I didn't get most of what the cop said, as he remained in the car. The guy who called them later was walking around asking for witness statements. When he called the cops for the previous fight, they gave a citation to the other dog.

Has the staffie ever injured a dog at the park?

As far as I know of, no

Most times I go there, the boys have a great time, there's just one or two dogs that have to start in (or owners who want to socialize their dog reactive dog there)I know most of the regulars and I know which ones my guys get along with or not. There are a few dogs that both guys love to wrestle with, a Tamaskan being one of them, and there are dogs that one would like more than the other.
  • edited November -1
    I have nothing against the staffie, I'm more pissed at the guy for not maintaining proper control over his dog.

It's like allowing a spoiled child to keep being a brat, and making stupid excuses for it.
  • edited November -1
    I agree, he needs to manage his dog better. From your description the staffie doesn't sounds aggressive, but it does sound like the staffie is not acting appropriately and shouldn't be at the park.

That's a pretty bad situation you experienced, it always surprises me what dog owners feel is acceptable.

----
  • edited November -1
    This is why I go to the dog park at 5am, or an hour after the sun goes down.
  • edited April 2009
    I feel like a lot of people are using dog parks as an excuse now. Like since they didn't socialize their dog early on or they don't walk it often enough, its like "it's okay, we will go to the dog park!"

It causes a lot of commotion. Im glad no dogs were hurt. I don't go to the dog parks around me any more. Too many undersocialized dogs and untrained humans to deal with.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah a lot of folks use the park as a baby sitter bringing in out of hand dogs to let off steam on everyone else and their dogs. We see it all the time with folks talking on the cell, walking in off leash while their dog roams before even getting to the gate. In one case there was a person who remained on cell arguing with another on the line, second peeves are with those who insist on playing online games on the cell or having a social hr ignoring their own (rude) dogs. Yeah they are the first ones to bitch too when your own dog happens to give theirs a throw down to correct obnoxious behavior.

As far as taking the leash off.....I will not unleash mine unless there is a double entry and even then Murphy's Law has it someone will have their kids or clumsy adult in there with the door wide open, so no I don't think so about unleashing early.

Mainly now I keep play groups to dogs I know. The park on weekends it way too populated to be able to keep my dogs "safe".

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, this is why I just can't do dog parks anymore. Even after I was on a leadership committee to build the one in Scranton a few minutes from my home... and that sucks big time. There is just no control or responsibility on the part of the owners. Even with signs that clearly state NO intact dogs, NO excessive barking, NO sick or contagious dogs, ALWAYS be aware of your dog and ANY altercations leads to your leaving the park ASAP, there are still bad owners and misbehaved dogs.
  • edited November -1
    There isn't an entry gate at my dog park, so I don't unleash Beebe until she is well into the park and I can judge the atmosphere a little better while still maintaining control of her. I also need to make sure she is giving me good attention before I unleash her as her reward following some heeling patterns. Sometimes she doesn't want to focus on me so we end up walking leashed the whole way or leaving and she loses out-too bad for her. Is this the wrong way to go about it? Does it just depend on the situation?
  • edited November -1
    Dog parks are definitely not my favorite place to be - Jazz doesn't do well there and she spends a fair amount of time in my arms. We are working on her being on the ground and learning that it's okay to be sniffed and to sniff, butit's slow going and the best place to learn that isn't at the park. If it weren't for the meetup group that I'm a part of, I probably wouldn't go to any dog parks very often. When I do go, we try to go during a time frame when most people wouldn't go (after it rains) - we manage to avoid the people who aren't watching their dogs if we do that.
  • edited November -1
    My dad and I took Tommy to the dog park in Minneapolis and some one brought there female mix breed while she was in heat! 4 dogs went at it, Tommy was in it for a minute but he didn't really see the point and wandered away. Poor girl was on her back underneath everyone. Some owners are just ignorant about what is safe and what is garenteed to cause problems.
  • edited November -1
    I think you are right that the staffie shouldn't be there, not because it sounds like a bad dog but like you said, if an owner is not willing to correct or even acknowledge that their dog is acting inappropriately that is not right. he should take it to a more controlled environment and get himself educated on proper training techniques from someone that is experienced with these things. We had a similar problem once, a rottweiler/mix dog was at one of our dog parks and tried to attack both of my dogs. And my shiba was not backing down despite being 1/4 the size of the other dog. I had never seen another dog get that way toward either of my dogs. The rotti owner said, Oh she is just playing, it happens all the time.... I was like wow that was not playing. The dog proceeded to attack again two other dogs that same day, no blood or anything but def way too out of hand, as it bit another owner that had to separate a fight since the rotti's owner didn't do anything to help. It's not going to keep us from going to the parks though, I feel our dogs need to be socialized and not going to let a few bad owners ruin our good time! I agree with what was said about it being like excuses made for a spoiled brat.