Need some advice!

edited December 2007 in General

So here in Taos there is a leash law but no one obeys it (except Jen and I). So when we go to walk the dogs we get confronted constantly by off-leash dogs, some nice, some scared, some aggressive. We have been told that carrying a walking stick and using it to point towards the dogs helps to keep them away, but that's kinda hard when you are walking several dogs at once. My thought was to carry some pepper spray and use it only on the aggressive dogs - but that seems mean.

You can imagine how hard it is to control an Akita and 2 Shikoku when there is a dog charging us. We plan to add our fence in January but until then we have to walk the dogs constantly. We will still walk them regular after we get the fence anyway.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited November -1

They do make a product called "Direct Stop" that is a pepper spray like substance that is made especially for warding off dogs.  I would carry it with me.  If someone doesn't control their aggressive dog, and the choice is my dog getting attacked or someone else's dog getting sprayed, that dog would get sprayed.  I'd probably be hard pressed to not give the owner a fat lip as well.

Friendly dogs I still mind, because Nemo tends to get leash aggressive when unleashed dogs approach.  However with one 25lb Shiba it is pretty easy to move him to the side or drag him along as I body block the other dog out of the way.  This isn't an option for you.  

There seems to be a lot of open space out behind your house, can you just head out that way?

• edited November -1

I'm with Brandon 100%.  If it's the law and you are obeying it, then it is your right to protect your kids. I would use pepper spray.

• edited November -1

I disagree with Brandon and Heidi ( no disrespect intended of course).

I have personally had the "pleasure" of being downwind when someone sprays pepper spray. And I had such a severe reaction I had to be admitted into the hospital.

God forbid the wind changes just as you spray the offending dog. 

With the puppy and two small dogs, the potential resperatory damage it isn't worth it. 

I walk Moto and Piglet between 6 and 10 miles every day and get charged by strange dogs all the time. It sucks.

What works for me (and I am not very big, if Piglet wanted to drag me she could) is have have them on an EasyWalk harness. It attaches at the front of their chest as opposed to their backs. It throws a dogs center of gravity off just enough to give you the upper hand. I also keep a collar on Piglet in case I need to really yank her back. If I see a dog aggressively approaching I grab Piglet (who is 60lbs and god she got solid fast) pull her behind me and body block the other dog. If the dog seems really aggressive I will pick Moto up, but Piggy and Mot tend to do a good enough job of guarding each other.Most even badly trained dogs won't come at me, but if need be I have the kicking option. We were recently charged by two chows ( I have never met a friendly chow, it kind of makes me sad) and through body blocking and directional (not violent) kicking managed to deter the chows enough to go elsewhere.

While a walking stick may appear cumbersome, carrying a stick of some kind isn't a bad idea. Even something you could strap to your back when you aren't using it.

I hate owners who don't leash their dogs. My sisters dog is VERY dog aggressive, and she lives on Maui where no one leashes their dogs, and she gets so frustrated.

• edited November -1

Hmmm... well now I just don't know what to do. I have heard of issues with pepper spray too.

We use easy walk harnesses for all the dogs, but I don't think you have ever experienced a Shikoku reacting to an aggressive dog - it's very hectic. Ahi turns into a wild horse-bear or something, bucking and growling and howling... then she turns her frustration on the other dogs and beats up poor Loa or Hilo, it really sux.

I'm not as concerned with one of our dogs getting hurt, I'm sure Ahi or Hilo would take care of business, I'm more concerned for Jen or even the other dog. The last thing we need is to loose one of our dogs because some assbag keeps their aggressive dog off leash and one of our dogs bites it and hurts it out of self defense. Then word gets out that an Akita bite a dog around here - that would prob. be the it for Hilo.

Anyway, maybe we should try the stick option or how about a squirt gun - you think that would help?

----

Brandon - we can walk back into the desert area behind the house - we did today. That's actually Pueblo land that runs all the way to the mountains (and past), but it's very thick with sage brush and not so easy to walk in. There are horse trails that run through there too tho - but some of the off leash dogs run in that area too.

• edited November -1

It can be pretty scary when a strong dog freaks.

My old dog Bailey was a 110lb Malamute Pitbull mix and she was dog aggressive. I learned the hard way how to split up dog tussles. She did bite someone. It was an accident but when a big dog bites, no one cares if it's an accident or not. We had to move. So I do understand your concern.

I don't know how much impact a squirt gun would have. Personally I have had best results with a great big from the gut "HEY!!!" A lot of time it can shift the energy suddenly enough to stop everyone in their tracks.

I wish you guys lived closer, I would love to be an extra and for Jen on group walks. A pack of dogs like yours, and a good long walk is my kind of afternoon!Smile

• edited November -1
    Im sure this may sound silly but what about a big noise maker to try and distract them?  This may be petty for an aggressive dog but get an airhorn or something?  Im just trying to think of anything non harmful.  I can just see Ahi or Hilo trying to get a dog and protect with Jen on the other side of the leash.  Her little 100lb body will get all sorts of flown around.  Our trainer has gotten us to growl or "bah" from the gut really loud to get attention, but I dont know if that would even work.  Unfortunately it make take some trial and error and hopefully no one gets hurt in the meantime.  Strap on a video camera so when some A hole takes you to court.
  • edited November -1

I was thinking more like a "Super Soaker" water gun - that's like a hose, I figured that would work well.

I had also considered an air horn, but I can just see Hilo and Ahi being afraid of it too and not wanting to walk.

hmmm....

• edited November -1
    If just the water didn't work, you could add the pepper oil (capsasin) of some strength, and aim at the face...so like the pepper spray idea, without so much chance of it blowing back on you or the dogs...
  • edited November -1
    That's a good idea!
  • edited November -1

Also consider the law suit side of things. While these owners are irresponsible, pepper can cause some permanent damage, like blindness in some animals.

Super soaker would be funny. 

• edited November -1
    I thought a super soaker but then wondered how you would carry it.  Strap it onto Ahi's back and have the trigger rigger to her tail!
  • edited November -1
    lol! Make like an Ahi gatlin water gun.
  • edited November -1
    You would wear the super soaker strapped to your back just like Rambo wore his AK-47.
  • edited November -1
    If that happens, please please please take pictures.
  • edited November -1

To be honest that is exactly what I was envisioning - only not me - my 95lb, 5' tall wife would have it strapped to her back. lol!!!!

Out here in the desert it would look like something from Mad Max. Laughing
  • edited November -1
    BTW - Did you know he is making a sequel to Rambo?
  • edited November -1

Yes I knew about the new movie.  60 year old Special Ops, out there taking on the enemy.  Should be stunning (in one way or another).

95lbs and 5' tall?  I think the kick on the super soaker might knock her over.

• edited November -1
    I know - it prob. would!
  • edited November -1
    Jen would do it to...I love it!!!!
  • edited November -1
      If you don't want to go the pepper spray route, you could bring a few shaker cans with you.  Put some pennies in an empty tin pop can, and duct tape the top so the pennies don't fall out.  Bring a few in a fanny pack or backpack, and shake em really hard or chuck em at approaching dogs that are making your guys go crazy.  The sound it makes is reaaallly loud and freaky to dogs, and it won't hurt them.  We use them in training classes to stop all kinds of aggressive behavior, and I haven't met a dog that isn't freaked out completely by the sound of one being shaken.  It would freak your guys out as well though, so I wouldn't do it at every single dog that comes up to you guys because it might make your dogs associate strange dogs with scary sounding things.  It's better than your dogs getting injured by unfamiliar dogs or by each other though.     
  • edited November -1

Kelly - that sounds like a great idea! Thanx for the tip - I think we will try it today. :c)

It might also help to stop Ahi from freaking out so much - maybe she will associate freaking out with a noise she doesn't like.... hmmm...

• edited November -1

Kelly that is a really great idea!

Do you train dogs?  

• edited November -1

I don't train other people's dogs, but I take my furry kids to rally, flyball and Schutzhund classes and have picked up a lot of training tips along the way.  I also work at a vet clinic and we have a doctor of behavioral medicine on staff that sees consultations for pets with issues that range from dogs with aggression in all forms to cats that pee everywhere but the litterbox and everything in between. 

I walk my 3 guys together most of the time, and my Kai Kohji is a freak whenever an unleashed dog approaches us.  Probably very similar to Ahi regarding how he reacts, minus the redirected aggression to my other two.  I know how you feel Brad, a 35, 55 and a 13 pounder all going nuts and only one of me to try to control them.  I have walked straight at approaching dogs, yelling "Git" at the top of my lungs, repeatedly, pointing at them, trying to be as loud and threatening as possible.  However, that strategy will not always be safe, there are the rare dogs who truely will challenge you and that could turn into a scary situation.  If I lived where you do though, I wouldn't mind bringing pepper spray or the DirectStop along too, because:

a.) there seems like a greater chance of wildlife approaching you

b.)  if domesticated dogs in packs approach you, they WILL behave like a pack and they might be hungry!

• edited November -1

Good points Kelly... While Jessica has totally freaked me out about the pepper spray idea, I do feel (and agree) it may be the way to go as a "last resort". Like Kelly mentioned, it would be good for wording off Mountain Lions and dogs do tend to pack around her a bit.

I guess my feeling is it's safer than a gun - right? I mean I have never wanted to own a gun, I don't really like them, so pepper spray may be the next best thing for the rare "last resort" scenario.

The rest of the time a combination of yelling, a water gun, and the "penny can" will probably do the trick.

What do you guys think? Am I being super paranoid?

• edited November -1

Brad-You know I wasn't trying to freak you out...right!

I just have seen people get really hurt by it, even though it is supposed to just be uncomfortable.

I think the penny can is genius.

There are the stun guns that have projectiles and I know they are available with variable voltages. But while you don't have the down wind risk that spray has, there is the risk of REALLY hurting an animal.

I don't think you are being paranoid. You are being a good husband worrying about the safety of your wife in a new environment. I know Jay would be thinking of every worst case scenario for me if we were in your shoes.

Hopefully all this speculation and hypothesizing will never need to come to fruition. But planning for the worst is simply responsible. 

• edited November -1

Oh - no worries - I didn't mean "freak out" in a bad way. Really I appreciate it! I guess that's why I brought it up, I knew you guys would shed some light in places I had not considered. Thanx!

I agree tho, I hope none of these issues come up, but at least I know we will have covered our bases.

Thanx for all the help guys!

• edited November -1
    This is a bit late, but I thought I'd add my $0.02.  I'd use pepperspray as a last resort, like you said.  Other than that, I find putting yourself between your dogs and the strange dog works.  It calms your dog to see you taking charge and lets the other dog know that you don't stand for non-sense.  Of course, if there's no time for that (if they come up out of nowhere), yelling usually does the trick!  I've never encountered a scuffle I couldn't break up by yelling, "HEY!".  Not that I've witnessed any serious scuffles or anything, but I guess that's what the pepper spray is more.
  • edited November -1
    yea - I tried the yelling at it worked pretty well... most of the dogs around here seem to be all talk. I have seen a few packs tho - that freaks me out a bit.
  • edited November -1

When you say packs, do you mean packs of wild dogs? 

• edited November -1

Packs of dogs, not wild, just running free and in packs.