Akitas with other dogs

edited May 2009 in Akita (秋田犬)
When we got our akita (he was 2.5 years old when he came to us) the one we bought him from told us that he was very aggressive to other dogs. There for we should _never_ let him loose together with other unleashed dogs.
Today we proved them wrong :D I'm attending a search course with him on saturdays. After we finished a coupple of tracks we had some social practicing with the other dogs. Suddenly our instructor told us to let the dogs play around for a while. After a while I thougt that what the heck... Just let him loose and see what happens. He was perfect! So nice seeing him playing around with the other dogs :D

So my question to you here is: How are your akita's together with other dogs?

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Kuma is great with other dogs, as long as they are friendly. The yappers get him confused, he never knows how to handle the situation, he just keeps avoiding them, as he does boisterous puppies, if he's not in the mood to play. If he is in the mood to play, he likes them to get rough and boisterous. If the other dog has a bad attitude, Kuma will not let it fly,and will take it to a whole new level.
    I mean, he's pretty tolerant, even with other dogs crap, but if they push him, it's like "it will start fast, end even faster, and you won't like the outcome".
  • edited November -1
    Kahlo is the exact same way; friendly with most dogs, but she will not tolerate an ounce of dis-respect/agression...she will only allow so much before she gives a low growl (back off)...if the other dog refuses to heed her warning, it can get nasty pretty quickly. Which is why I brought in a behaviorist to evaluate her around other dogs. What the trainer saw was a confident dog who is not the least bit submissive but totally appropriate with dogs who were willing to play respectfully and take her ques. I like your comment, "it will start fast, end even faster, and you won't like the outcome"...I've learned quickly with Akitas that they will take a minor tiff and take it to a whole new level in the blink of an eye and totally look prepared to be nothing less than the victor.
  • edited November -1
    "it will start fast, end even faster, and you won't like the outcome..." seems to be the truth with Viggo too. He got in to a coupple of small argues and they happened really fast. I've heard that their tail is kind of tricky for other dogs to understand... the way they always have the tail should then be misunderstood, is what I've heard. Do you guys know anything about that?
  • edited November -1
    The tail thing is an interesting thought, however, dogs have various & many many ways of communicating, I can't imagine the tail making too large a difference. [ especially with all the different tail types in sll the different breeds...curly, double curl, sickle, docked...no tail at all! etc. ] My humble opinion, anyway. :) ~
  • edited November -1
    I'm not sure about the tail either...I know Kahlo can lower it...which, when in the company of other dogs, does send out to me that something is amiss. However, more than anything, Kahlo can't stand another dog putting their head above hers...nor will she tolerate a stare down...
  • edited November -1
    Well the thing about the tail was just something I've heard here from other akita owners. So I thought it would be nice to hear how you thought about it.
  • edited November -1
    The carriage of the tail is only part of how dogs communicate, and they can transmit mixd signals, if we only interpret the tail. Depending on the position of the ears and other things, the same "tail sign" can mean different things, for example.
  • edited November -1
    Jiro is good with other dogs, but he can be a bit stand offish to dominant or overly excited dogs, he likes polite dogs. I often bring other dogs to the house also and Jiro is really quiet with them, even an entire male Rottie. Kinu was well socialized as a puppy and was good with all other dogs but as she's got older she's become a bit iffy with other bitches. She does get on with them if well introduced but again they have to polite when they approach and show her respect.

However Jiro + me holding the lead is not a good match. I get really nervous approaching other dogs and this always causes Jiro to react badly. He goes straight into protection mode. I've spent a lot on trainers, behaviorists and dog psychologists, they all give practical advice but telling me relax just doesn't work! I suffer from an anxiety disorder too which makes it really hard. We can do really well for a few months after seeing a trainer, then one dog will set him off and that's it I'm right back at square one. I really want Jiro to be shown more but I know I can't take him. It really upsets me, I know it's not him! Besides for that he's 100% wonderful but it is a big problem for me, I can't take him to the park unless it's quiet for fear of an off lead dog running up to him (my worst nightmare!).

I don't have this problem with Kinu at all, she has never attacked another dog so I have no fear of her doing so and I'm much more confident handling her.
    The next step is obviously someone who can sort my head out!
  • edited November -1
    Keigo is fine with other dogs. I wouldn't say friendly, he just won't play with most dogs. Just a few. But he's not aggressive. Keigo, like some of the other members dogs, he will dole out a correction to disrespectful/aggressive dogs.
  • edited November -1
    Jack was an ambassador for the Akita. He stood 28 inches tall, weighed 120 pounds and had a solid black mask. Rather intimidating. But he was stellar around dogs and people. But, like all of you have said, Akitas don't take crap. They give respect, but they'd better get it back. If not, it's over before you know it. Jack never hurt another dog, but he has put them in their place. Sat on a Yorkie, once...

Anyway, yapping, biting at their feet, obnoxious or aggressive dogs are best kept away from Akitas.

Tasha used to be dog aggressive, but we worked with her and she became perfect. No problems at all. Not even a reaction. But now she's 10 and a little cranky at times with other dogs if they're too close. Not aggressive, just bitchy.

Telltale signs in an Akita? Ears perked, I mean really perked. Their mouths are closed, eyes focused, stance is slightly forward (more weight on front feet), everything posturing upright - telling the other dog to mind their p's and q's. There's very rarely any growling or barking. In fact, neither of mine ever barked or growled at an obnoxious dog. Only ones that growled and were known to be aggressive.
  • edited November -1
    Duke does not get along with any dogs, see my post in the behavior section. I will be looking into a behaviorist here soon to see the options
  • edited November -1
    It depends on your dog..in zoes 11 years she has been around many many dogs..I helped open up a dog day care in reno back in 2001 . That got her around dogs and people..Yeah zoe is a alpha dog but as a alpha dog she doesnt go around trying to prove how tough she is..Other dogs just know..All i can say is that she had many dog friends. She used to help raise they young pups that would come in.. She really likes little dogs..she likes to lay down and have them jump all over her. I have a 2 years old apbt that she loves like her own pup..people still are surprised by how good she is
  • edited November -1
    The stiffer- straighter the dog's posture, the more powerful he/she is. When they freeze in a stiff straight stance, with ears forward , lips forward, then it is a concern. The more movement, curves the dog has, the less threatening and threatened feeling they are. Think of a pup and how they wiggle and curve their butt around, ears sideways, mouth wide open... all dog language that says- I am not threatening, be nice to me. The more still and tense they are, the more they are saying- don't mess with me- I am top dog here...
  • edited November -1
    I have two female Akitas - one a little over two and the other six months - I have only had the younger one about a month and a half. My older one gets along very well with other dogs. I spent a while trying to find my second Akita (wanted a rescue) - We went to meet a female who was about two, but she was way dominant and aggressive and made my Nala pretty uncomfortable..that was a no go. The woman at the rescue said that my best bet was to get either a male or a puppy, so I went with a female puppy. So far so good..they even snuggle :) A woman at Midwest Akita Rescue said you should never have two females together. I am hoping I am not going to run into problems down the road..Right now the older one is clearly dominant - but they even eat out of the bowl at the same time. They argue over bones, but only playfully to chase each other..