Going into heat?

edited July 2009 in Behavior & Training
So my puppy just turned six months old. Within the last two weeks she started crawling under my dresser, where she always liked to hang out, but now growling and barking nonstop. she gets LOUD. she even does it when im sleeping... when i try to verbally tell her to stop she just looks at me and keeps going, when i pull her out from under there she mothes me and resists and then crawls right but under there. The only way to get her out on her own is to try to play fetch with her or take her for a walk... i dont know what to do or what she wants or how to get her to stop! any ideas?
MUCH appriciated

Comments

• edited November -1
    Does she look like she is scared or does she look like she is trying to play? You could block off her access to crawling under the dresser in the first place, and don't tolerate ANY mouthing. By 6 months, she should know better then to mouth when she isn't getting her way. If she's playing, it might be a little different, but still not a great behavior to tolerate.
  • edited July 2009
    Be careful because by reacting to her noise with something she wants to do (fetch or walk), you may be inadvertently communicating to her that "go under the dresser and bark really loud at Daddy = something fun". Does she do this kind of behavior immediately after a walk? or immediately after a consierable amount of play? At 6 months old, their energy starts increasing, couple that with a "rebellious teenager phase" (happens around 6-10 months), then you'll really have to be consistent (and possibly up your ante) on your training and exercise.

Also, as a suggestion on a way to turn a negative to a positive, if you've ever wanted to teach your dog to "speak" on command, I would consider taking advantage of her incessant barking and turn it into a training exercise. If you've got a clicker handy, once she starts barking, click, and then throw the treat (preferrably high value, like hot dog or cheese) so it's on the floor outside the dresser within her visibility but she has to crawl out and get it. Wait, and if she barks outside the dresser, increase the reward. After she figures out barking gets her something, associate a verbal command and/or a hand signal to it. Hopefully, she'll figure out that it's more fun to be out from underneath the dresser getting yummy treats, than by being underneath.

My dog used to love crawling underneath my couch (never barked), but thankfully he got too big. I had to be extra diligent to correct him everytime he tries to "burrow" under the couch. If he falls asleep there, the only way he's coming out is if I lift the couch and yank him out, which is unpleasant for both of us.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Will she be getting spayed? Empty heats (where they go into heat but are not bred) are very hard on a female dog - especially their first one, I'm told.
  • edited November -1
    but spaying before the first heat is like taking a 12 year old girl all her hormons away..so i think 1 empty heat is a must we have to bear
  • edited July 2009
    All dogs are individuals though, and we aren't baring it - the dog is.

I think you should speak to your vet about whats going on with your dog, and mutually decide on the best course of action for her.
  • edited November -1
    I'll be honest, nothing described above sounds anything like the behavior we have observed from the 9 heats we have been through here at the Dog Ranch.

The behaviors your described sounds rather troubling to me and you may want to seek the advice of a certified trainer or behaviorist. These could be attention seeking behaviors or signs of a newly formed behavioral issue - or even a health issue.

----