Living with Ainu Inu (Hokkaido inu)

Comments

• edited November -1
    He has several bite marks on neck, but most dangerous wounds he has on his underbelly, Kiba is now after stomach operation.
  • edited November -1
    OMG - Im so sorry. Poor Kiba. Our thoughts are with you. Please keep us posted on his status.
  • edited November -1
    I hope that Kiba's surgeries were a success and that he has a speedy recovery. I'm so sorry to hear this happened.
  • edited November -1
    My thoughts are with you and Kiba. Please keep us informed.
  • edited November -1
    Poor Kiba... all my thinking are for him and you....
    I hope He will soon go better....
  • edited November -1
    That's good news that he came through the first surgery. I'm so sorry that he and you have to go through this. My thoughts are with you. Please keep us updated on his status.
  • edited November -1
    Please, cross all the fingers for Kiba!
    Suddenly, he felt much worst today afternoon like he did in the day of this bad dog-fight. Robert and Kasia are with him in the vet clinic right now and try to find the reason of it. I hope, the vets do everything to save his life.....
  • edited November -1
    Oh no. *huggies for Kiba*
  • edited November -1
    oh, no... Hang in there Kiba!!! *crossing finger*

Please let them know that they are in our thoughts.

----
  • edited November -1
    Any news?
    Poor little guy, we're crossing our fingers for him.
  • edited November -1
    That's heartbreaking! Paws crossed for his recovery.
  • edited November -1
    Oh man, I hope everything is ok. Hang in there Kiba!
  • edited November -1
    Oh no, poor Kiba!!! Be strong little guy!!! *fingers crossed*
  • edited November -1
    Ehh, with decision about second surgery we will wait till tomorrow, when we will do second morfology test. The first indicated that his white cells are a little higher than standard, so it could be sign of worsening condition. But veterinarian (to be sure we have talked with two different veterinarians) said that it could be also reaction for antibiotics (which we have changed immedietaly). USG has showed a little amount of fluid between his stomach and skin but it could be also standard reaction for first surgery. His temperature is ok, he also started eating again and stopped vomit.

Tuesday was worst for us, Kiba was vomiting all around with blood, he stopped eating and was totally without strength.
  • edited November -1
    OMG. Please keep us posted. All paws crossed here for Kiba.
  • edited November -1
    Oh wow, I'm so sorry. I wish there was something I can do to help.
  • edited November -1
    thinking of you constantly - please keep us updated.
  • edited November -1
    jeez, poor little man. :o(

Eating is a good sign, hopefully it was just the antibiotics and he will be on the road to recovery now!

----
  • edited November -1
    Just know that you all have thoughts, prayers and support all over the globe!
    Recover well, Kiba!
  • edited November -1
    How is Kiba?
  • edited November -1
    I just read this post for the first time. I fell in love with your dogs immediately. This is heartbreaking. You and Kiba are in my thoughts. I am so sorry...
  • edited June 2008
    I have some good and bad news, the good ones, are: Kiba is eating, he is more active, than a week ago, his temperature is ok, the amount of the fluid beetween his stomach and skin is decreasing (as showed on USG), he stopped vomiting. The bad news is that he still have higher white blood cells amounts in his blood. The whole situation with white bllod cells is a little strange.

When we made first morfology test the WBC amount was close to 20,000, the second test taken two days later showed 10,200 WBC, another taken 4 days after the first one showed 22,000 WBC. So somebody probably screwed the second test, or mixed fials with dog blood.

So high WBC amount is sign of internal inflammation, but because other signs are showing that Kiba is getting better, the veterinarian is waiting another two days with decision about second surgery.

Ehh, seems to me that this spring / summer is full of dog health worries for many of us :(
  • edited November -1
    I think the fact that he is active and eating is a really good sign. Hopefully those good signs continue to show up and improve. Nemo and I are still sending good wishes his way. Hopefully his WBC will stabilize.
  • edited November -1
    I second what Brandon said. Good luck Kiba, you could get through this :) Thank you for the update, you guys are all in my thoughts.
  • edited November -1
    I agree with Brandon too. If he's active and eating, it should be a good sign.
    Good luck for you and Kiba! Hope he will be running around in no time.
  • edited November -1
    I just read this thread again, I am so sorry for Kiba and may your strength and his strength pull him though this event.
  • edited November -1
    Well, I think that sounds promising! The white blood cell thing sounds odd, but I really know nothing about that stuff. Is it possible he has always had a high white cell count?

You and Kiba are in our thoughts... We are sending you guys "get better fast vibes".

Kiba is very lucky to have such a wonderful family!

----
  • edited November -1
    Standard WBC amount in dog blood should be between 6,000 to 16,000, any higher amount is a sign of some problem. Usually higher WBC amounts are sign of internal wounds, bleeding, some diseases, etc.
  • edited November -1
    We are thinking of you here...
  • edited November -1
    I've been checking in to see how he's doing. I'm really hopeful. He's just GOT to be okay.

I don't know about Hokkaido, but Akitas have a different blood count than most dogs -- even when very healthy. While I don't remember what a couple of vets have said is a normal range, could it also be possible that Hokkaido share that trait? In this instance, I can only hope that is true.

My thoughts are with you and Kiba. Take care of yourselves and post back when you can. We're all keeping fingers and paws crossed for a speedy recovery.