Hiking and/or Backpacking with your pup

edited July 2009 in General
The June issue of Backpacker magazine had an article about camping with your pup. So, I was wondering who all Backpacks with their pups, and what kind of gear they take along for them.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I used to backpack with "my" dog (I rescued him off the street, but my camping-buddy gave him his permanent home). We didn't take much more than his food, some dishes and a leash. He stayed inside the tent with us to sleep. He wasn't a Shiba (curly tailed german-shepherdish mutt) and could be relied on not to run off.

I have been wondering whether the radio collars used by hunters would be a worthwhile safety measure for taking Shibas or other dogs prone to bolting into situations where it is difficult to keep them 100% secured all the time. Spending several days outdoors is going to provide any clever dog that has the impulse to run an opportunity to make a break, eventually. If I get a Shiba (still pondering the ins and outs), I would be worried even taking it to visit my Mom, where too many people are coming and going for me to be certain the doors are secured against potential escape.
  • edited July 2009
    We hike, camp, and backpack with our pups. We usually try to take 2 dogs and pack their food in one dog's pack and their water in another dog's pack... But it depends on the size dogs and their weight carrying potential (and the terrain we will be hiking).

I would pack a first aid kit for the dogs and supplies to help keep their pads in tip-top shape. Also a water filter, some bear bells, harness, tether, i-hole (for securing the pup if you need to leave them).

For food I would pack freeze dried foods and kibble. Also cans of sardines or tuna works well. Keep in mind, your dogs will be burning more calories than normal so they will require extra food - jerky is a good protein source to add some extra calories.

Lots of water, in the summer your dog will need LOTS of water on a hike.

If you are traveling into an area where you are concerned about predators you may want to consider some pepper spray, spiked collars, and a shotgun.

----
  • edited November -1
    Brad - what's an i-hole?
  • edited July 2009
    @Stranger: I dont think Shibas are always on the look out where they possibly could escape. Their problem is their big hunting fever, so they maybe start off cause they saw something and afterwards they arent able to find their way home. I think if you have a good connection with your Shiba he wont start wander around without you on purpose.

correct me all you Shiba owners but these are my experiences with Katjas dogs, and it wasnt like they knew me very well :)

wah have to write down brads list somewhere for our planned camping trip!! as always his answer is the most outworked one :)
  • edited November -1
    Haven't gone camping with him yet but we bought a fold down, soft sided crate for him for that purpose.
  • edited November -1
    I never really thought about the PURPOSE of spiked collars, other than to look scary...how practical are spiked collars these days for protecting a dog's neck ? There must be different ones that the decorative ones...I am curious now.

and I don't know what an i-hole is either, but I hope nobody ever calls me one! :(
  • edited November -1
    i-hole... I short handed it: "eyehole" or "eyebolt" or "eyescrew"...

----

Real spiked collars:
    more here

Helps prevent a predator from locking on to the neck of your dog.

----
  • edited November -1
    eeks, that collar means business!

When we hike with our dogs, we bring two canteens of water, one for us and one for them as well as a water filter in case we run out (though our dogs tend to drink from running streams, rivers, etc). We bring power bars for us and jerky for them. We bring neem essence for bug bites for both us and the dog, and natural repellents for both of us. I used to bring bag balm, though I think its really old and I need to get a new jar.
    We walk with 6 foot leads, I wear a waist leash by bark & giggle. When we settle in for a rest or something, we have 20ft leads for the dogs to explore with.
    I wear the backpack for now, we're hoping within 2 years that we will have a dog a big larger than our shibas that we can work into wearing a pack, if nothing more than to carry the pooh bags and lighter supplies. And at that point, maybe we'll try camping with the dogs.
  • edited July 2009
    @Lisa: I realize that not every shiba is as eager to escape as the Cooler King--they are all different. Most, as you say are only likely to go rushing off in pursuit of prey. Some shibas, however, especially in rescues, are described as "door bolters" which are prone to escape even from the humans they trust the most.

I am not assuming my Shiba would be like that, but, since it would be a rescue, and probably a mature adult whose behavior would be harder to influence, am preparing for possible worst case scenarios. In the last six months I have seen multiple notices for at least three lost Shibas in my area, and I want to explore all possible avenues to avoid this, in case my Shiba turns out to be an escaper.

I don't know what Amber's dog is like, so I just shared my speculation in case it was something she might find useful. Brad's i-hole is certainly more cost effective--radio collars are very expensive, and possibly uncomfortable for a Shiba-sized dog, so I was curious if anyone had any experience.
  • edited November -1
    Brad that is an intense collar. I noticed you mentioned a shotgun, what predators are you running into in Atlanta besides the crazies in downtown that you need a shotgun? Interesting side story. My wife and I recently went to a Braves game at Turner Field and were trying to leave after the game and drove alittle too far west trying to circle around to the interstate. As we drove down one of the side streets at 10:00 p.m. a group (40 or so...not overexgerating) of kids in front of some low income housing where along the street and one of them throw a beer bottle at my car, missed, and I think hit the car behind us. Very eventful night. I nearly pissed myself.
  • edited November -1
    I noticed you mentioned a shotgun, what predators are you running into in Atlanta besides the crazies in downtown that you need a shotgun?
    >> We moved to Taos, NM about 2 years ago. :o) We see Black Bear, Mountain Lion, Coyote, and the occasional Eagle.

Yea, that sounds like Atlanta - don't miss the shi!t hole at all.

----
  • edited November -1
    Stranger - we walk with a chow/sheltie mix who wears a radio collar. She lives on a farm and so when they go walking about or hiking she is off leash. I understand the control can detect her collar up to 900 yards away? Or is it 9 miles? I don't remember but i know its a decent distance. Her owner bought the collar at a local hunting supply store. Suki (the chow mix) is only slightly larger than my male shiba (who is 24lbs) and it fits her pretty nice, doesn't look too bulky and she doesn't' seem to mind it. She also wears a pack to walk in, as she was adopted overweight :)

I think you will find shibas to be expert escapists, and preparing as you are is very smart. Having 2 shibas, and living with 6 total, I think some of them are always on the lookout for an escape opportunity which is definitely put into overdrive when prey is involved! Having a back up plan is VERY smart!
  • edited November -1
    @Stranger: I don't have my dog yet... But I am looking at Akita to Kai in size.

I will probably do more day-hiking than camping, but my family owns campers and are avid lake-goers, so that type of camping is probably a definite yearly experience. I have already started looking into life-jackets as a drowning pup scares the crap out of me.

Does anyone bring booties for their dogs paws? Or experience a need for them?

Brad, do you use a spiked collar? You mentioned bringing one, but I wondered if you used them, what brand/type and where you got it? And thanks for a comprehensive list!

Also, where do you purchase your bear bells? Thankfully we just have coyote, fox, and the like around here, but I am curious anyway. I guess there is the rare occasional sighting of a mountain lion.
  • edited November -1
    Rina, where did you get the crate? And have I missed recent pup spam??
  • edited November -1
    We do have spiked collars for a few of the dogs (Kona and Ahi), we got them locally in town - there is a leather/metal shop that makes metal spiked collars for local LGD. Honestly, we have not used them on the trail yet as we have not hiked in areas I was really concerned about - saving them for the backcountry.

We got our bear bells from Silver Foot: https://www.silverfoot.com/store.php?crn=235&rn=379&action=show_detail

----
  • edited November -1
    Amber I got the crate on Craigslist lol. And no you haven't missed any. I tried taking pictures of him yesterday but I left my SD card at home so I only took 1 picture using the internal memory. You can tell he's getting old here. Just turned 9.

• edited November -1
    Ah Rina, that's an adorable picture!

Thanks Brad! When my mom was in Taos, they went to a local leather/metal shop.

Anyone on the booties?