Is an Akita right for me(right section this time)

edited July 2009 in Akita (秋田犬)
I grew up with two Shiba's. I trained them all theri tricks as a kid, maybe 10 in one day. And I hear that they are hard to train, so I think I have soem good experience. I want another Japanese breed. I like loyal dogs who are devoted to their owner, one person dogs, and preferably relatively easy to train(so as easy or easier to train then a Shiba). I will be giving him an hour walk everyday.

Brad has already reccomended an Akita but I want to see if everyone agrees :)

Ask if theres any other info you want.

Also which would you recomend, and American or Japanese Akita. I have heard that American ones are harder to train, more sharp, and independent, but I would think that it would be the opposite since the German Shepherd in them... =/ idk

Thanks

This is what I originally asked Brad:
But I'm looking for a Nihon ken that is a one person type of dog, somewhat easy to train(as easy as a Shiba or easier lol), size doesnt matter, and needs about an hour walk everyday.

(in reference to Hilo and Akita's) But I have read they are very headstrong, and not too goofy like Hilo =P

Yes I have already read most of the stuff at your forum too.

If you would give me your opinion that would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Well you sound like you'd suit an Akita and an Akita would suit you, but I think which Akita is the big question!

I have 3 Japanese Akita Inu. When I bought my first one, I'll admit, I didn't properly understand the difference (there still isn't enough clear information online, mostly because of people who call their American Akita's Japanese, it's very confusing to someone new to the breed!). Anyway, I read loads about the Akita, but obviously most of what I was reading was about the American Akita. I had seen photos of Akita Inu and knew I preferred the foxy, white faced Akita, so I went looking for one and found Jiro.

Now, obviously I was expecting a very loyal, very protective, one person dog that the Akita is. However, that is certianly not what I got with the Akita Inu's! I think they are quite different in temperament to the American Akita's. I have met a good few American Akita's and most have conformed to everything I read about them, the Inu's really don't! All 3 of my Akita Inu are very friendly with strangers, not particularly good gaurd dogs (they seem to pick and chose who to bark at!), not particularly protective (although I'm sure they would be if needed), they are just docile, fun loving, happy dogs. I have not found any of them dominant or difficult. I think the Akita Inu is more a family dog than a one person dog from my experience with them.

I will definitely add an American to my pack at some point as it was the loyal, protective, one person traits of them that attracted me to the Akita in the first place, but I do adore the Akita Inu's now, they are lovely to have around and just make every single day fun, I definitely wouldn't swap my 3 for anything!

I think you sound like you'd prefer an American!
  • edited August 2009
    All the American & Japanese Akita I've met [ tons of American, a few Japanase ] were all very friendly. They are definitely not IMHO "one person" dogs. They are family dogs, very friendly towards strangers. They are great dogs that show loyalty, & like any other dog, will protect you if he senses you are truly in danger. [ tho, moreso against other dogs than people from what I've heard & read ]

I think, of all the nihon ken, Kai Ken tend to be more "one person dogs."

Akita are definitely easier to train then Shiba.

I also think the differences in temperament are not huge, I'd say the physical differences are bigger than the temperament differences between the JA & AA.

Ultimately, it will also depend on the breeder. Each breeder has a different way of rearing their pups, & each will be biased towards different temperaments in the breed. So Breeder, IMHO, has a big deal to do with it, as well as how YOU raise your pup. ~
  • edited November -1
    I would agree that if you are looking for a "protective" or "one person" dog a Japanese Akita would not be my first recommendation. The American do tend to be more protective and territorial. Plus, it is difficult to obtain a pure Japanese Akita in the USA. The support for the breed is almost non existant in the USA I hate to say.