Shikoku size

edited August 2009 in Shikoku Ken (四国犬)
I was wondering how tall are your adult Shikokus? Kekko is now 6 months and 50 cm tall. In the standard it says for a male 52 cm is a perfect size. On the pictures thou other Shikokus seem taller....or is it just the pictures??

Comments

• edited November -1
    Probably just the pictures.. Lilith looks ginormous in pictures too.. :)

Or, other Shikoku could be oversize too... are you looking at pictures from shows or pictures in general?
  • edited November -1
    My Himiko is exactly 50cm at the withers. She is 29lbs. Keep in mind with regard to photos that Shikoku are proportioned like much larger dogs. I always joke that they are wolves that someone shrunk.
  • edited November -1
    Pictures are confusing and hard to really tell the size unless there is something else there you can compare it to. I know a lot of people who think that shibas are supposed to be husky-sized since they look so much bigger in the pictures.

Also, where's the Kekko spam, haven't seem any in ages
  • edited November -1
    I have looked both, show and just pictures, all seem bigger :) But guess japanese are small people too hah :) and a dog standing beside small person seems bigger. For huskies people are ofter also surprised, that are they supposed to be so small?? Guess people who don't know the breed very well think they should be more or like a wolf size.
    I know I have been lazy...will try to upload some new pictures of Kekko in few days.
  • edited November -1
    HAHA, yes, I guess it would depend who the dog is standing next to! ;)
  • edited August 2009
    Here's an interesting picture I found awhile ago of a CO, cause the handler is so short and the dog is on a platform, the dog look ginormous...
  • edited November -1
    :) Beth thats a good example of how a picture can make a dog look BIG
  • edited November -1
    If a shikoku was standing next to me they'd look ginormous, since I'm 5 foot tall even.

Then again, if a Shikoku was standing next to me, I'd be more inclined to steal it then pose for pictures ;p ~
  • edited August 2009
    Here's another picture of the same exact dog taken a couple of months after the first, of which he doesn't look so BIG (and if anything looks kinda small). btw, he's 31.5 inches tall to the shoulder
  • edited November -1
    The CO in the first picture looks like the size of a freakin' lion or something ..
  • edited November -1
    Hey! In that first pic, that's Frol! That's Masha's dad! Frol is 32" at the withers (i believe).... Oh I just read Beth's post, I guess he is 31.5".

CO breeders are really crafty in their photos, they always want their dogs to look huge... like this one:

same dog:

----

I think this pic shows Shikoku size well:
    IMG_5325

Loa is a great height for a female, Ahi is the height of a male, and Kona is in the middle. My dad is 5'10" and my mom is 5'.

Shikoku are just a tiny bit bigger than a good sized Shiba.

----
  • edited November -1
    lol the first one is how I would look standing up next to that OC!!!!!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Haha Brad, I kind of figured he'd be related to Masha...How lucky is that to be showing off her big daddy
  • edited November -1
    Aibo's about 24in/61cm tall at his withers. He weighs 55lbs.
  • edited November -1
    Mark,

Aibo is HUGH! At 24 inches, he may very well be like the largest Shikoku ever! lol.

You also got him neutered pretty early too, right? That *might* implicate a slight factor but then Ahi is pretty *big* too but was also spayed earlier rather then later...I wonder...

...what do you feed him?!

Oh and where are all the new photos of him & Minion? -searches forum for possible updates-