AKC Recognition?

124»

Comments

• edited November -1
    That is the problem, I or did not ask the ACA to represent my breed. While I know that my be short and not quite the right answer -but- I have a major problem with any club that deviates from the home country regarding breed.

I will stick to Akiho registered Akita, and enjoy the fact that most of the 100% JAs in our country will not be a part of the AKC.
  • edited February 2010
    Well the ACA formed in the early 60s-70s while japan was still hammering out the standards for the JA so i can hardly blame them. As for AKIHO akitas I read that they cannot be registered with the FCI or JKC if they are not born in japan so is JACA trying to be recognised by the AKC and if not weren't they trying to before? Or are they mainly going to just show in AKIHO shows?

sorry for jumping off topic! Anyways the shikoku and other nihon ken are registered in FCI so how are they safeguarding the breeds from byb and puppy millers? If the AKC ever registers other nihon ken what will the future breed clubs do to insure breeders of these dogs keep to standard and with suitable owners? I'm full of questions today...
    By the way i voted yes as I think the AKC will eventually begin to register the rest of the nihon ken later.
  • edited November -1
    Question -does the Japanese provide a registration club for these other breeds? If so is it worth the time to setup a branch out here in the US?

I really don't think JACA has any intention of being recognized by the AKC. The biggest issue is getting JACA to fill the gap between -LA/Branch Akiho and the rest of the JA community. Get the new website up and going, help establish new breeders who will provide Akiho registered JAs. Maybe at one point hold a JACA show like in the past.

The funny part is JACA has a few ACA members in it. In fact JACA has no problem with the AA or people for the AA. The issue is the blenders - "One Akita" folk. IMO all that does is ruin both the AA and JA.

BACK ON TOPIC:
    How is AKC safeguarding breeds from byb and puppy millers? Are they tracking down local breeders, calling them, asking who the parents are and where do they come from? Everything that AKC does can be accomplished by a regional branch of a Japanese Club.

I just feel that AKC is "too big to fail".
  • edited November -1
    Akitarise,

The present Akiho standard was adopted in 1955 (a revised version of the 1938 version) and the Nippo and Akikyo standards had already been set by that time.

Akiho dogs are FCI recognised and their offspring are registered with the national canine organisation (FCI member) of the country in which they are born.

Sorry for the offtopic!
  • edited March 2010
    the 1955 akiho standard included black, pinto and silver-tipped. No mention of urajiro or the black mask in the standard. Akiho standard changed in 2005. http://www.northlandakitas.com/update/revision.htm

I read on the WUAC website that pedigrees of ahiho akitas born outside of japan are not accepted in FCI/JKC. http://wuac.info/en/index.html That last meeting was in 08 has that rule changed?
  • edited November -1
    Oh, I see. Regarding the first part, you are right, it was my fault I wrote 'present', I wanted to stress that all 3 (akiho, nippo, akikyo) had their standards by 1955. Maybe jackburton can give us more info on this, the information in English is hard to come by.

Regarding the second part, it was again me misunderstanding your statement. I was thinking about Akiho in Europe and not somewhere else. Those akiho imported get FCI recognition and then their offspring get FCI pedigrees via their national canine organisation. You were referring to the possibility of two akiho being mated and their offspring being given akiho pedigrees issued by Akiho branches such as AkihoLA and the rest. I have no knowledge of this, but I will investigate.

IMHO the reason why AKC shut its gates to Japan imports was not that there was no standard in Japan, but because the AKC and JKC had no reciprocal agreements for recognizing each other's pedigrees in 1972, when AKC recognized the breed (I hope I got the year right, I'm horrible at remembering dates). That is the main reason why we have two breeds now. In America you developed the type of Akita of 1955, whereas in Japan the akita was crossbred with Matagi akitas in order to restore the original pure breed (because, as you know, akita were severely persecuted in the interwar period, being hunted down for their fur; in order to save the breed, Japanese people crossbred akitas with Western dogs - usually GS and gave them Western names, hoping they would be spared; some hid in the mountains, especially the Hachimantai, which is now famous for its role in preserving the akita breed).

PS: Sorry for slightly hijacking the thread.