Orthopedic Foundation in Canada?

edited October 2009 in General
Is there an equivalent orthopedic foundation in Canada like the OFA in the US that gives ratings based on xrays sent in?

Or does the American OFA cover North America as well? I ask because I was on the site this afternoon and found only one Shikoku listed, too young for anything but the prelims (which were Good). I assume that those few puppies that have been sold to various owners recently have come from non-Xrayed parents?

The Kishu and Hokkaido were not even in the list of breeds that you could pull up. The Kai Ken was listed but there were no dogs recorded. I'm sure there were hundreds of Akitas and Shibas -- I didn't look.

How bad a problem does anyone think hip dysplasia might become in any of these breeds -- and is it important to test for it? I think the prevailing feeling is that the basic stock is pretty healthy.

Comments

• edited November -1
    OFA is used in Canada as well. You can look up some of Katja's dogs on the OFA site.
  • edited November -1
    Aiko
    Kimi
    Maya
    Loa
    Suki
    Aki
    Yana
    Sachi

Aiko, Kimi, and Yana are Katja's dogs. Maya, Suki, and Aki are Peggy's dogs. Loa belongs to Brad.
  • edited November -1
    Oh duh -- my apologies. It all depends on how you do the search. I was asking for all the criteria rather than just the hips. There are actually six listed, so a couple of the above are in the OFA database but not for hips.

I'm glad to see these xrays being done and sent in, though. Looks like all are Goods, so so far the breeding stock appears to be in good shape.
  • edited November -1
    LOL, I didn't realize that OFA records were public like this...Spent an hour going through it and checking out TIkaani's lineage since we got him from a breeder. It saddens me that his mom isn't on there (even though the breeder said they had her done, but at least his daddy is on there.

I find it interesting that they list parents, siblings, offspring and other relatives. That helps to see how well the lines are going when it comes to OFA
  • edited November -1
    Your breeder could have "had her done" but not wished to make the results public. The OFA will honor this wish.

It is possible that your breeder sent in the Xrays but the dog did not pass -- those results do not have to be made public. But given the ratings of the dogs that are on this list -- all Goods, not even a Fair -- I can't think that would be your puppy's dam's case. Maybe they had the xrays made but never turned them in to OFA, because of cost considerations.

As time goes by, you will find out who merely gives lip service to "health checks" and who believes in them very strongly. Eventually you will get dogs that do not pass, and it will become more important to check. This will happen as your Fairs start popping up and it's just more convenient to breed a Fair to a Fair because the two dogs in question are right there. Not an admirable practice and falls into the "breeding to make puppies" category, or breeding for demand. But, breeders are human beings and you will get conscientious humans and those not so ethical, in any large enough group..... Then the slide the rest of the way down the slippery slope. Fairs may produce more dysplastic dogs and now we have dysplasia in the gene pool.....

On the other hand, in some breeds dysplasia hardly exists: greyhounds and regular Collies come to mind (not BC's) -- they have a very low incidence of hip dysplasia. If the next 50 of your foundation stock all come up with Goods or better, you might not place as much importance on subsequent testing because it is apparently not a problem in this breed. That would be a wonderful outcome. Doubtful, but wonderful. :)