November means..... Puppy Fever!!!

edited November 2009 in General
Where did that MontanaDogLady go? I'm still here, reading off and on, checking in periodically.

Just wanted folks to know that November and December will be big months for me. I am on the waiting list for 4 breedings: 2 Belgian Malinois, 1 Kishu and 1 Swedish Vallhund. I'm not taking any chances, LOL. I've always been adamant about getting a puppy in the spring, which means the mama dog has to be bred in November or December, the pups have to be born in January or February, and my puppy comes home in March or April. That's why November and December are so important to me right now.

What I really want is a puppy Malinois and a puppy Kishu. At the same time. That's not going to happen, but that's what I want.

Anyway, wish me luck! I'm sending "come in season" vibes to all 4 possible mama dogs!!!

Comments

• MnVMnV
    edited November -1
    Good luck! WOW 4 puppies at the same time.

What color Kishu is that?
  • edited November -1
    Oh goodness no, I'm not getting 4 puppies!!! I'd never in a million years do that, even IF I weren't working full-time. I'd like to remain married....

I'm just covering all my bases and making sure I get ONE puppy one way or the other next spring, by keeping my name on 4 lists. Once I commit to a breeder, I'll have to drop my name off the other lists.

The Kishu will be from Carleen's kennel in TX, if there are enough puppies, and IF there is a male for me, and IF I haven't committed to a Malinois. The Kishu will be white, I'm pretty sure, although if by chance another color was born, I'd take it, since I'm not planning on showing or breeding it.
  • edited November -1
    Update: The Swedish Vallhund bitch is coming in season. This was my last choice, but hopefully by the time she is bred, I'll know whether the other 3 dogs are in the running.

The breeder of the Malinois I'm interested in had an interesting practice. She co-owns a bitch that just had a litter of puppies. When the puppies turned 8 weeks old, all had been sold except for two of them. She "farmed" them out to temporary babysitter families so that the two remaining puppies would be separated from each other, from their mama, and would have new sights, sounds and experiences to deal with. Both babysitter families had other dogs and cats as well. What a wonderful idea.

I cringe when I see a litter of puppies at 4 or 5 months of age all running together. They're only becoming more bonded to each other. Which isn't a bad thing unless we want to do performance activities with the dogs by themselves. The dogs don't care -- they're happy whether they are in a social pack of other dogs (like Brad's), or their social pack is their human family. As long as they have a social pack!