Puppy socializing -- again

A nice little post from a Rottweiler breeder, providing some real everyday examples of the kinds of healthy outings you can do with your puppy. I thought it applicable to the Japanese dogs because many of them can be protective.
===================
A little quote from a presentation I give now and then and here and there.

"7 to 12 weeks is when leadership training starts and the best time to form man-dog relationships and acceptance of direction and education. They develop confidence, trust and the ability to cooperate. Considerable teaching can be done at this time and a dog that has learned how to learn during this period will have that skill for life. This is also when they learn to be self-important as well as to be a co-worker with its human partner. ..............."

Don't discount "self-important, as that is where confidence begins and remember that this is a working guard breed that will grow up to be a working partner regardless of the task at hand. These Rottweilers are intuitive so implications will stay with them. Don't ever act timid or worried as that will teach your pup to be fearful. If a pup/youngster fires off at something remind yourself that this is happening because the dog is frightened - not because it is protecting. That's your clue to give a cheery greeting or throw a party.

Some of the places we go for education:
Puppy class of course.

I rather like auto supply stores and hardware stores and bookstores so there is no question about being allowed in . Make sure you have a towel and plastic bag in your pocket. Best if it is one where you are a known customer and you will be welcomed. Always make a purchase. I noticed that all the nice gentlemen at our hardware store had their shoe laces untied on one visit. well, no fault, no foul. I do avoid pet stores with my baby pups as too often there will be a hostile dog come round the corner. I also, pup or grown, like the little places with outside tables. Burger and a beer for me, ........ "maybe" a bite for the dog.

We walk the neighborhood at those hours when people might be expected to be out in their yards. Often we simply exchange hello's which serves to make the pup comfortable and occasionally we stop and visit and have a greeting. It is not necessary for the pup to be pet on or such by everyone, just to see lots of the environment and feel secure about it. This serves two purposes, socialization within the 'hood (meaning neighborhood), and should it ever become needed, dog learns the way home. (like if I ever fall off my bike and break my head, dog can "go for help" just like Lassie). I do not usually walk on the sidewalks where we are going to be coming upon the pissing posts, but instead, walk in the street. Speeds things along as so much time is not spent with a dog whose nose is glued to the ground and a bit more sanitary. Neighbors have commented that I should have to get a parade permit,.

Regardless, we walk the 'hood going different directions each time, walk alleys (they're fun) and sometimes go to a main street and simply sit on a bus bench for a bit. If you have a good park, go find a nice picnic bench and just sit and watch the passer-by's. If someone asks, you can agree for them to say hello, but it is not a big necessary part of the visit. Children and balloons. The socialization is for the education of it, pup doesn't have to have close contact with all.. It is for the dog to learn to be out, see things, explore and evaluate. If you act friendly towards people or objects, the pup will take that as honest truth and not be inclined to be worried. Avoid any places where someone might rough up the pup or give it reason to feel it needs to defend itself.

Pup will learn to enjoy outings best if allowed to walk like the "big" dog it is, move freely on the leash to explore and investigate, greeted by friendly people with a pat and a hello and some happy chat. Best if pup is not put into a position of feeling trapped as that can stimulate distrust. Let pup walk, do NOT carry.

Take your time. If it takes half an hour to get down the block and back - so what?

Once in a while a pup will decide that a garbage can or something that was not there yesterday and is there today is a dangerous ghost. Whenever something like that happens, ignore pup and walk up, pat garbage can (or whatever it is) have a nice cheery visit with it and go on your way. Do not urge pup forward as that can make it worse, just you show each time that it is your friend and maybe someone you might want to have a party with. No petting or soothing sounds directed at the pup. Just laugh and visit. Your neighbors will get over it.

Remember that with a youngster, almost every experience will be 100% of that pup's observation so make them positive.

Oh, almost forgot, I've been seen just sitting on the curb with a pup beside me, just watching the world go by. A practice I do with pups and also with my elderly dogs that want an outing but are not up to much of a walk.

Comments

• edited November -1
    This serves two purposes, socialization within the 'hood (meaning neighborhood), and should it ever become needed, dog learns the way home. (like if I ever fall off my bike and break my head, dog can "go for help" just like Lassie).

I don't know how many dogs would actually go back home to get help, LOL. BUT, I bring this up because we are right now going through a lost dog event in a nearby town. A fellow agility competitor's Sheltie somehow got out of her yard, nobody knows how, and just ran, spooked, we assume by something, on Halloween afternoon. She thought at first that the dog was stolen, but it was sighted up the road and the entire process has been started of dog flyers, vet and shelter calls, door to door visits. Unfortunately, this is a very shy Sheltie that wouldn't ordinarily come to people on his own, and now in his feral state, there is very little chance he will come anywhere near anyone, short of getting trapped in someone's yard or driven into someone's yard because of hunger. It's not terribly cold here at night, yet, so he can survive for awhile. It's every dog owner's nightmare.

I just can't imagine a dog of mine running away from home and not finding his way back. Mine have gotten out the back gate accidentally a couple of times, and after they lift their legs on the neighbor's bushes a time or two, end up on the front porch waiting to be let back in.

The point of this is, how many of your dogs would know your neighborhood well enough to orient themselves and find their way home, if they "got loose", ran down the street and were just a couple of blocks away? If the dog never goes for walks in his neighborhood, how would he know to find his way home?

I take my dogs via car almost everywhere, and have to make a special effort to walk them around the neighborhood when they are young, once in a while, just so they are familiar with it and can orient themselves. From what I've read on the forum, many of you are much better at "walking the neighborhood" than I am, which is all to the good.
  • edited November -1
    My guy had gotten out a couple times before we re-worked the gate. My neighbor told me he's actually brought "friends" over to play. lol A couple summers ago on a nice day I left our back sliding door open for Merlin to come and go as he pleased while I was out for a few hours. When I came home my neighbor came over and told me about how Merlin escaped and had gone up a few blocks and came back with a couple Pitties and they all played in the yard together then the two Pits went on their way home before I came back.