Pink Nose Question

edited January 2010 in Akita (秋田犬)
Hello All - I just put a deposit own on an Akita puppy, she was 5 weeks when I saw her last week and she mostly had a pink nose, with a spot or two of black dots around and on the nose. Will the nose turn pink by 8 or 10 weeks old? Or older?

Most of the other puppies in the litter also had pink noses, except for one which had more black then pink, but almost all the dogs were mostly with pink noses.

Any ideas on this, should I be concerned? I have never seen an Akita with a pink nose.

thx

Comments

• edited November -1
    Not sure what the standards are for Akita over in the States, so it may be allowed over there, but over here I'm pretty sure the standard is for black noses (preferably). White Akita are allowed lighter color (red, liver?) noses, but is is considered a flaw in any dog (in any of the Japanese breeds) to have partial/total lack of nose pigmentation.

Anyone involved with the Akita over there with more info on this please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • edited November -1
    Is this Akita pup white?
  • edited November -1
    Walrus is correct, if the Akita is white then a pink nose is part of the breed standard.
  • edited November -1
    If the nose follows the same genetics as the Boxer, the black spots in the pink will slowly enlarge as the pup ages. For example, 4 week old Jack and current Jack (and everything in between).
  • edited November -1
    Do you have any pics from the breeder to post?
  • aykayk
    edited January 2010
    Is this pup an American Akita? Perhaps pinto? If so, it's possible for the black to come in as splotches (similar to boxers), but if this is not a pinto, then the nose color shouldn't be coming in as splotches but more uniformly fill in.
  • edited November -1
    Hello Guys, thanks for the great responses. So the Akita is a Japanese Akita, 75%, the mom is 100% japanese import, and the dad is 25% Japanese. The color of the puppy I am getting is a female Dark Brindle with White markings. Yes I do have pictures, I have posted them for you guys to check out. The dark brindle adult Male you will see is the (Sire), and the lighter Brindle is the (dam). And of course the little guy is the female puppy I am referring too.

I will have to post 2 more times for the other pics, not sure how to do multiple in 1 post, so sorry about that if I am taking up too much page space.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    PJ
  • edited November -1
    Mom
  • edited January 2010
    Puppy female 5 weeks
  • edited January 2010
    Puppy female 5 weeks
  • edited November -1
    The splotchy pigmented nose is a common thing in piebalds (of any breed). This pup looks to be a piebald with a brindle overlay.

----
  • edited November -1
    Nose--Broad and black. Black noses on white Akitas preferred, but a lighter colored nose with or without shading of black or gray tone is acceptable. That is from the aca akita standard. Maybe the akita pups nose color will fill in with time.but in the meantime... Your puppy is gorgeous!!!! Is she from monumental akitas? Ive seen a couple of their past breeding and so love their dogs!
  • edited November -1
    Akitarise, yes she is actually, they did a breeding and had great puppies which I chose from.

So are you saying that the dogs nose will fill in to most likely be black or will stay the way it is? The breeder was pretty sure it would turn black in the next month.

I have never seen an Akita with white markings like this one, any ideas on how this dog will look as an adult? The face also has white patterns that are not 100% symmetrical, how will this look when she is an adult?
  • edited November -1
    I have never seen an Akita with white markings like this one, any ideas on how this dog will look as an adult? The face also has white patterns that are not 100% symmetrical, how will this look when she is an adult?

link

----
  • edited November -1
    Thats a good link. Thx.

The link shows an Akita that is much lighter though, Pasha which I named my Akita is a dark brindle.
  • edited February 2010
    Hello, you might also be interested in this article, it's the best I've found so far on Akita noses http://www.sherob.com/info/noses/akitanoses.html

I am also very curious about your dog's coat pattern, it seems utterly black with white urajiro, but black is not accepted in JA colors and black mask is required for AA (FCI rules). This is how a dark brindle JA should look like:
    http://www.aikokensha.com/unshou-relatives.html

later edit: maybe this one is closer http://www.americanakita.hu/boston_copy.html a gorgeous AA boy from Maroteam
  • edited November -1
    Ok, now I know what you mean, we usually just call brindle whatever looks like that (unless it's blue brindle, which is special). This colour is extremely rare in Europe in comparison to reds, the darkest brindle I can think of now is Unshou from Aiko (the link above), Unshou from Shun'you (his son) and maybe Shinjiro go in Italy (Antico Oriente).

I usually turn to this site when analyzing colors http://www.tamarlane.com/colors.htm but I never did manage to find anything similar for JA. Any ideas?
  • edited February 2010
    oo- I like hikaru- even tho his ears dont stand up.
    Interesting to see his nose change over time! thanks Brad! and Nekopan for pics of Jack.
    Is this the same thing at work in spotted tongues? I am sure Sage's tongue has more dark coverage now than when he was a pup.
  • edited November -1
    Thank you Jack! Great pics, you have some nice looking dogs over there!
  • edited November -1
    We are working on it. Should have some nice photos after the show on the 14th.
  • edited November -1
    My Akita is white and about two years old - her nose and paw pads are pink - not sure it it's the "standard" but it sure is cute :)