Shikoku ken playing fun

I went out with all the boys and had them play and run free so a good opportunity to shoot some action pictures. Oh yes, they were lots of fun to take. Shousei wants to play with Reno and Rico so badly he is doing all he can to get their attention. Not scared by anything he is extending his bounderies. This results in awesome faces and expressions. I guess I have to make more in the near future. Do you like this stuff? Don't forget to check Rico & Reno's faces too, they do all they can to run away from him. Or run after him to scare him away :-) But they never hurt him and so he continues to "attack" them trying to find out about their limits.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Nice shots and their facial expressions are great!
  • edited November -1
    Very cool Nico! Looks the canine relationships are getting better!!!!
  • edited November -1
    I love the 5th pictures! lol They look like they are having fun. :)
  • edited November -1
    What about this one, Shousei accelerating away after he body slammed into Reno. (is that correct english?) It's so funny, his ears go all the way in his neck when he runs away after teasing the boys. Better aerodynamics if he needs all the speed to escape…
  • edited November -1
    Sweet pics! Looks like the boys are having a blast. I can't believe how big Shousei is!

The last pic is cool. I was describing in a thread the other day how Koda ran back to me after realizing that he was about 200 feet away. He looked just like that!
  • edited November -1
    It all goes so fast, I cannot even recall seeing it happen, but the camera has faster memory than I have :-) If you look close you may see all the snow and dirt throwen in the air. He is trying so hard to outrun Reno. But even at close to 12 years, he's still much faster. Shousei will be 6 months in a few days.
  • edited November -1
    Aww! He's growing so fast and handsome! =)

Looks like your huskies and Shikoku had a wonderful time.
  • edited November -1
    oh yes, it's getting much better. But I have a lot of fun watching them too. I will make new ones at the next sunny day.
  • edited November -1
    Here is one photo of Shousei in "normal position" so we can see how he has grown up the last few months.
  • edited November -1
    Still cute!
  • edited November -1
    Nico,
    Koshi will be 6 months old in two days I thought I would post a picture here I took today to compare how they've both grown. I hope you don't mind.
  • edited November -1
    wow, pretty girl!
  • edited November -1
    Soon Jessika...very soon:) I bet you are super excited!
  • edited November -1
    Man Koshi is getting big and beautiful! =)
  • edited November -1
    They're both gorgeous! I love the black tips of their tails.
  • edited November -1
    Great photos! Love the expressions and body movement.
  • edited November -1
    I'd say, Koshi has a very "wild" look to her, where as Shousei has a very "show" look to him. [ they're both stunning! ]~
  • edited February 2010
    Hey Dave, very nice to put her up here, they are just a few days different in age. She looks stunning man, wow, so different from the beginning. I guess they could be great friends too. Let me put one picture up here from Shousei in the snow. It was taken a few weeks ago. Right now he's changing his coat so looks a bit flat but the hair is very nice with great sheen. I think Koshi has a bit more mature face, Shousei is more the puppy face I guess, especially if he's in the playing mood. If he slams into Reno he has the most funniest face we can think of.
  • edited February 2010
    Great pictures guys :)) thanks for sharing. They both look gorgeous and its fun to see the difference. I'll add a picture of Kekko when he was the same age if you don't mind, just to show how different shikokus can be :)). Well this was summertime, so this could explain the short coat...or maybe Kekko has shorter coat, I don't know. But all 3 have incredibly different faces :)).
  • edited November -1
    Tini, thx, nice for this lead. You don't have one like Koshi looking a bit more into the camera? That might even give a better look at Kekko's face. Funny difference, Kekko has a white tip on the tail. Maybe he took that part from your huskies… What about more 6 month old pics from Brad, Jessica and other shikoku owners? Best in like similar position.
  • edited November -1
    Dave, Shousei is from August 15th, Koshi from 14th?
  • edited November -1
    I added a picture of the face as well at 6 months. Kekko seems to have considerably smaller ears then others :)) hehe....I wonder why is that.
  • edited November -1
    Hello Tini,
    I will check Yuu and Micky on this, coming Monday. Kekko has the noose type like Yuu. Koshi is somehow a bit shorter, Shousei in the middle. I think Koshi looks very adult, almost like a male, very cool look in the eyes. But with the males the heads should get broader in some years. Than the differences become more clear as I understand.
    Dave, do you have a profile pic of Koshi?
  • edited February 2010
    Since you all are talking about head shapes in 6-mo old Shikoku's, here is my Kuma at that age. Kuma was bred by Ikon kennel, but he is out of Egmato stock (Tekai and Sweety were first owned by Egmato)

PICT0593

PICT0545

I think that he has even smaller ears than some of the others. :-)

And now as an adult, last May, at the Forum meetup in PA (with a Shiba and Siberian)

DSCN3138
  • edited November -1
    Love the pictures! And the comparisons. :)
  • edited November -1
    thx for the additional pics, very nice! He looks in that behave a bit like Kekko with smaller ears, but not so much the size of the noose. How old is he now?
    Feel free to add some very funny faces as well :-)
  • edited November -1
    Kuma is 2.5 years old now. I think he takes more after his dam Sweety, who has a finer nose (mor narrow and pointy) than some other Shikoku. Also the small ears. Plus, Kuma has her lighter red sesame coat.

Here are a few other Shikoku play photos/video. Kuma was really good -- you have to remember that 20 Shibas and a Siberian decended into his yard and home (the meetup was at my home) and Kuma is an intact male dog, yet played well with all the other dogs.

Meetup6

• edited February 2010
    Ah, now I remember why we decided to not add any Shiba's to our pack :-) I think Rico would have modified one of those, he is not so keen on small noisy, persistant dogs ;-) But very nice video's, Kuma is so nice, so good looking.
    Here's one picture of Shousei trying to please Reno before he starts his attacks to both of them. A little kamikaze or maybe even samurai; quick attack and run for your life :-)
  • edited November -1
    Wow it's so amazing how different they all look, all beautiful but soooo different looking.Nico one thing that jumped right out at me was how deep & well developed Shousei's chest is..a real man. Kuma is the reddest shika I've ever seen & i love that color!. Kekko well that goes without saying a stunning specimen!!!
    Nico, I'll try to get a prof pic. up today & Koshi will be 6 months old tomorrow ,Feb 13.
  • edited November -1
    Dave, I think you are right. He was also selected for his firm chest, even as a small pup. But that was more to his "front chest" so he does not have to much space between his front legs. Now, his chest gets deeper, I guess maybe because he can run around but than Kekko has probably the most free running space in deep snow, so he is developing very well too. I just looked at some pictures from only last December 19th, where he was next to Reno. It's amazing how small he was by then, and how much he has grown since.